Cunard Cancels Egypt Ports of Call!

Bollinge

Britain sends Security Team

Whatever they expect them doing in Egypt...

Never noticed any British troops abroad beeing of any other use than boosting pub revenue and causing rough arguments at night. This opinion is the result of 20 years in the neighbourhood of the wonderful British Rhine Army.

To my understanding any foreign troops should stay away from other countries. This is the best guarantee for peace. If travellers do not feel that it is safe to travel to a country they should just not go there. So far Cunard is wise.

Edited by cunardaddict

Never noticed any British troops abroad beeing of any other use than boosting pub revenue and causing rough arguments at night. This opinion is the result of 20 years in the neighbourhood of the wonderful British Rhine Army.

What's this to do with the subject?

David.

cunardaddict - not excusing bad behaviour I would just comment that, as in many places, the pub landlords do not refuse the custom all the time they are making plenty of money which is a pity.

No chance to refuse service to occupying troops...

To my understanding any foreign troops should stay away from other countries. This is the best guarantee for peace. If travellers do not feel that it is safe to travel to a country they should just not go there. So far Cunard is wise.

like another thread this one will be locked thanks to you. fyi,dude the war is over ...ya lost:)

Cunardaddict, I wonder if you actually read the news report? The team went out to assess the threat, in light of the upcoming Easter holidays when many Brits will travel to the area. At the moment the Foreign Office says it's okay to go to Sharm el-Sheikh, but they considered it important to actually check it again, especially in light of the tourist bus that was hit by a roadside bomb in Taba.

I think this assessment is a very good use of an expert team.

This action is taken on the eastern side of the Suez Canal (Sinai). The security situation on that side is almost out of control, close to a war zone. Whoever decides to spend a vacation there must be nuts.

The western side is apart from tradintional risks (Cairo center, some overland roads, bus drivers and other car traffic risks) much safer, but due to the behaviour of the tourist dependant people not worth going.

The harbour of Ein Sokhna - port for Cairo excursions - is only a basin with day and night operation of container lifts powered by diesel engines and equipped with beebs and horns. Last year we stayed thre over night on QM2.

So if you did not intent to go by bus to Cairo you will hardly miss a thing. Better spend your time and money in Aquaba/Petra and Isreal.

The bus tour last year from Safarga to Karnak was a desaster. No AC, no food, no drinks, no stops on the long way.

We received email from Cunard this morning stating that Luxor excursion cancelled. No reason given just letting us know money would be credited back to our card. No tours up yet for Aqaba. Cunard could do better on the communication front.

Couldn't this be said about almost every thread on this forum? They all go off topic at one point or another. :rolleyes:

Yes, but the "off topic" usually bears some relationship to the subject.

What are your views on the Scotish Referendum?

David.

fyi,dude the war is over ...ya lost:)

Those who can read between the lines have noticed that this is not what he means to say. I cannot help thinking that for some of this forum it's really not over and never will be since they seem to live in the past, in the so-called times of glory.

However, I suggest not to deepen this discussion.

Never noticed any British troops abroad beeing of any other use than boosting pub revenue and causing rough arguments at night.

I am sure there are many, many millions of people who are grateful for "British troops abroad" - think 1939......

The war may be over - which one? But we will remember them.

Lest we forget!

Thank you, but not only Brits are travelling in this or any other area ... :rolleyes:

Very true, but if you read through the posts you will see that my reply was in reference to BRITAIN sending a team abroad in order to advise its own tourists about what to do. Other countries can give their own advice for their tourists to follow.

Please roll your eyes back into their rightful position in order to read the posts properly. ;)

Yes, but the "off topic" usually bears some relationship to the subject.

I could see a clear line of thought from the previous post. It may not be a line of thought with which I agree but it used his own experience to follow through from a previous post. If you disagree with a poster, surely it's better to present him with facts than to blame him for something else (i.e. 'off topic') that many of us do frequently.

Very true, but if you read through the posts you will see that my reply was in reference to BRITAIN sending a team abroad in order to advise its own tourists about what to do. Other countries can give their own advice for their tourists to follow.

Please roll your eyes back into their rightful position in order to read the posts properly. ;)

:D No, I don't need to roll my eyes back since I read the post you refer to. I think that in such situations no differentiation should be made between nations, which most probably will be the case anyway. Or would you exclude somebody who needs help just because he comes from another country?

:D I certainly wouldn't exclude someone who needs help. However, I am aware that different countries give different advice. I have no idea where you're from, as your posts don't say so. I know that for insurance purposes we have to follow the advice of our own countries. It's no good saying 'But Britain says ...' if you live elsewhere.

I hope other countries are monitoring the situation closely on behalf of their tourists. I was pleased to read that Britain had sent in a team to check it out. :)

I was merely thinking of the actual situation on the spot when it is possible that crowds assemble and ask themselves what is going to happen to them when it comes to crucial problems. A close friend of mine is a high officer who would certainly interfere no matter what nationals are affected. That's why. :)

I do not expect the taxpayer to secure my vacation in an unsafe region. Our foreign office gives reliable advice and that's all the service the public deserves.

If they say "Don't go to Sinai!" I better don't go there.

Cunardaddict, I definitely agree with following the advice of the foreign office. However, sometimes situations can develop unexpectedly. I would like to think that my taxes would help people in a difficult situation at no fault to themselves. I would also like to think that officials of other countries would be prepared to help me out, as Cats2010 has pointed out.

I was merely thinking of the actual situation on the spot when it is possible that crowds assemble and ask themselves what is going to happen to them when it comes to crucial problems. A close friend of mine is a high officer who would certainly interfere no matter what nationals are affected. That's why. :)

We do learn not to interfere abroad without approval of the local government. I certainly do not expect a British officer interfering in a political situation in my home country.

Exactly this arrogance of the British is still the cause for permanent trouble in former British controlled regions like the Sinai.