Movies before traveling

We're sailing in May on the Ruby Princess with the following ports: Southampton, Guernsey, Cobh, Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Inverness, Orkney, Edinburgh, and LeHavre. We're also going to visit Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Bath after the cruise.

I'm thinking about movies that would be good to see prior to our trip that are set in these areas.

The Longest Day is definitely on the list--what else would people recommend? (I'm not a big movie watcher, so chances are I haven't seen whatever it is people will recommend, although I might have read the book.)

Thanks!

We're sailing in May on the Ruby Princess with the following ports: Southampton, Guernsey, Cobh, Glasgow, Belfast, Dublin, Inverness, Orkney, Edinburgh, and LeHavre. We're also going to visit Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Bath after the cruise.

I'm thinking about movies that would be good to see prior to our trip that are set in these areas.

The Longest Day is definitely on the list--what else would people recommend? (I'm not a big movie watcher, so chances are I haven't seen whatever it is people will recommend, although I might have read the book.)

Thanks!

Not quite what you've asked, but since you're a reader, there's a fabulous book you must read titled The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The islands of Guernsey and Jersey were the only part of England occupied by the Germans during WWII and this book tells about those years.

Now to answer your specific question...

Here are two about the Irish Rebellion: The Wind that Shakes the Barley and Michael Collins. I've seen both and been impressed by both.

Not quite what you've asked, but since you're a reader, there's a fabulous book you must read titled The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The islands of Guernsey and Jersey were the only part of England occupied by the Germans during WWII and this book tells about those years.

Thanks! Someone has recommended that on one of the threads a few months ago--I loved it--and so did my husband.

Here are two about the Irish Rebellion: The Wind that Shakes the Barley and Michael Collins. I've seen both and been impressed by both.

Thanks! I just put in requests for them at our library.

I'll be adding more recommendations to my list as this aging brain recalls more titles. Here are a few more...

The beginning of Saving Private Ryan deals with the events on Omaha Beach in a more specific and harrowing way than The Longest Day which takes an encyclopedic view of the events leading up to the invasion, to the events over all the beaches, and to inland action.

The novels of Jane Austen reflect the ways of society in the Georgian period in England. Two of her novels are specifically set in Bath and have been made into TV movies: Persuasion and Northanger Abbey. I particularly liked Northanger Abbey.

Ken Follett's excellent book Pillars of the Earth is about the building of a cathedral in England. He has said that he specifically had the building of the Salisbury cathedral in mind when he wrote that book. The book became a television mini-series which I assume I watched since I loved the book, but I can't remember how I felt about the show.