First cruise w/kids - Breeze - Eastern or Western Caribbean?

dr0970

I am ready to book our first cruise our boys (ages 7 and 8) on the Breeze for Feb 2015 but cannot choose between Eastern or Western Caribbean. Ports for Eastern are Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Turk and Nassau. Western is Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Hubby and I honeymooned in the western 10 years ago and went to Dunn's River Falls and Stingray City for excursions. I feel it would be fun to do the eastern side now.

The only plan for sure we want to do is a dolphin encounter/swim. I have considered Atlantis as well but the prices are pretty high (especially if we want to do Atlantis Aquaventure and swim with dolphin). I have looked at all ports that offer a dolphin experience as well.

I would love any feedback/thoughts on Eastern or Western, port ideas (I have read tons of information already in books and on this site and if I could choose I would do it all) and the best place to experience a dolphin swim.

I'm surprised by the eastern ports....Jamaica?

I think with these ports there's not a big enough difference to really make it matter. Go with the one that firs your budget better and enjoy the excursions......I would pick the western route.

Edited by Midwestgal

Dolphin encounter on Paradise Island (Nassau) was quite a bit cheaper than Atlantis, although they don't do the long-term encounter or dive/deep water swim like Atlantis does. At least I don't recall if they do based on last year's cruise. They also have Sea Lions which is on our punch list. The Grand Turk stop is only good for some snorkeling and the Margaritaville pool (which is worse than dealing with onboard chair hogs); the beach is not very nice either. Also any Cozumel dolphin encounter voids the ability to do anything in that very exciting and many optioned port.

So I would recommend Nassau highly and Cozumel itinerary only as a last resort. Also reserve any dolphin excursion way in advance, they sell out quickly especially those not offered through the ship.

I have been to all of these ports... Personally, I would prefer the Western itinerary.

Grand Turk:

My least favorite stop, the island is very small and not much to do there.

Nassau:

I mean, again, not my favorite unless you like to gamble at the Atlantis resort.

Ocho Rios:

Always my favorite, especially climbing Dunn River Falls. Your kids will enjoy that.

Cozumel:

Take a taxi to Chankanaab theme park...it's a great place to hang out with the kids, you're right off the beach, so snorkeling is available as well. I think they have some animal shows too. Plus, at the beach there are free chairs and umbrellas set up next to a nice restaurant. Go to the park's website and print out the coupon (if it's still there).

Grand Cayman:

We took the tour bus to the turtle farm, which was nice. The tour guide at the park was hilarious, but that was like 5 years ago.

Hope this helps, Happy Cruzin!

Western,

We have done stingray city four times and never tire of it. Take a full day trip with Captain Marvin or Coral Breeze smaller groups way more fun. They include snorkel and beach stops for lunch.

Go to the state park as noted above we did the dolphin swim with our kids and we had a blast.

Enjoy

When my son was around 8 we did a cruise that included Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. He loved climbing Dunn's River Falls. We booked with Peat Taylor and got to the falls before the crowds. In Grand Cayman, we too booked with Captain Marvin and went on a snorkeling tour and to the Stingrays. When we were snorkeling the guide brought up a nurse shark and eel that my son good to touch. He thought it was awesome.

Well that's not really the eastern. They consider Grand Turk eastern but it's really not. If you want to do the eastern for a similar price, hop on the Glory, Liberty or Conquest to St.Thomas and San Juan, while also visiting Nassau and Grand Turk.

But if I was going to choose between those 2, I'd pick the western itinerary. Grand Cayman is beautiful. The water is so pretty and the people are really nice. Cozumel is pretty too, and the beaches are very nice as well. I haven't been to Ocho Rios, but I'll save his in my archives because in 9 days I leave on a cruise that stops there :)

Grand Turk is just a beach really. We haven't been but the pictures and reviews all say "beach" "beach" "beach." Not really a beach kinda person.

Nassau is very packed, but if you have small kids then Atlantis would be perfect as well. But the begging there is really bad and too many ships.

If stick with the Western itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by MrBanana1240

I am ready to book our first cruise our boys (ages 7 and 8) on the Breeze for Feb 2015 but cannot choose between Eastern or Western Caribbean. Ports for Eastern are Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Turk and Nassau. Western is Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Hubby and I honeymooned in the western 10 years ago and went to Dunn's River Falls and Stingray City for excursions. I feel it would be fun to do the eastern side now.

The only plan for sure we want to do is a dolphin encounter/swim. I have considered Atlantis as well but the prices are pretty high (especially if we want to do Atlantis Aquaventure and swim with dolphin). I have looked at all ports that offer a dolphin experience as well.

I would love any feedback/thoughts on Eastern or Western, port ideas (I have read tons of information already in books and on this site and if I could choose I would do it all) and the best place to experience a dolphin swim.

I know this is of no help, but i'll say it anyways.....Go with either one! You'll have fun on either itinerary, so I might just choose witch one is the cheapest!