Things to take with you

scrob14

Your shore excursion description will also tell you what you need to bring. For everyone getting off, you need your S&S card and a picture ID. I would definitely suggest sunscreen since the sun in the Caribbean can burn much quicker than what you may be used to. You'll also want to have a few dollars to tip your guide. Other than that, take whatever your excursion suggests. Have a fabulous cruise.:D

I suggest that you bring/wear bug stray. I didn't have a problem with the bugs, but my father did. Also, wear shoes with thicker soles that can get wet. One person in my group wore thin soled water shoes and the rocks on the path hurt their feet. There will be a changing room. Take a disposable water proof camera for some great shots. If anyone has asthma, make sure they take their medication. The hike can cause those with breathing problems to become winded. I suggest you bring a water proof pouch to store your money, ID, medicines, etc. You will really enjoy this excursion.

We carry (in a rolling backpack and our pockets) copies of our passports, cash/credit card, a couple of cameras, towels, sunscreen, tiny can of bug spray, S&S card, photo id and sometimes a change of clothes. That varies by the port, but it would be rare if I didn't at least have all of the above. I might have snorkel equipment too!

Where do you store your belongings when snorkeling and enjoying beach time? I want our ID's to still be with us when we have to re-board the ship.:)

I have a few waterproof pouches that I use to keep our valuables with us. You can just wear them around your neck or wrist.

I have a few different sizes depending on my needs. Mine are all DryPack brand and I even use one to keep my Kindle in while I read in pool.

http://www.amazon.com/DP-46-Cell-Phone-Waterproof-Case/dp/B000FE9CAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396574560&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+pouch

I've also seen 'beach safes' It looks like a bottle of sunblock but the bottom comes off and you can store your items inside.

http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Green-Diversion-Safe-Stash/dp/B008CSK7SC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_38?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W4MT65Q38XMAH60EKHQ

I have a few waterproof pouches that I use to keep our valuables with us. You can just wear them around your neck or wrist.

I have a few different sizes depending on my needs. Mine are all DryPack brand and I even use one to keep my Kindle in while I read in pool.

http://www.amazon.com/DP-46-Cell-Phone-Waterproof-Case/dp/B000FE9CAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396574560&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+pouch

I've also seen 'beach safes' It looks like a bottle of sunblock but the bottom comes off and you can store your items inside.

http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Green-Diversion-Safe-Stash/dp/B008CSK7SC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_38?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W4MT65Q38XMAH60EKHQ

Thank you! This is helpful information.

Start with an empty bottle of sunscreen. With an exacto-knife, cut a slit down the side, following the side seam. Make the cut long enough to slide in your S&S card and a few dollars.

In your beach bag, sitting in your sneaker, dropped in the cooler, or lying on your towel or in the sand, it won't attract even the least bit of attention.

Hiding in plain sight, like the Arizona can, just cheaper.

Just be careful pulling things out, so the sharp edge doesn't get you.

I make up an envelope for each island where we're doing an excursion:

On the outside I write the name /contact information /confirmation number of the excursion provider. Inside I pack cash to pay for the excursion + a tip. This means I don't have to keep up with how much money we need to bring ashore, and all the other envelopes stay in the stateroom safe.

My husband always wears cargo shorts or swim trunks (I pay close attention when I'm buying these items for him because some close more securely than others), and he carries our ship IDs, our credit card, and some cash. We figure his pocket is our most secure storage location.

I carry some cash in my pockets. IF something happened to the things in his pocket, we'd still have some cash.

I also carry my point-and-shoot camera in my pocket.

I leave my "just mine" credit card in the safe. IF something happened to "our" card that he has in his pocket, we'd still have my card for the rest of the cruise.

And we leave our passports in the safe.

Aside from those necessities, we carry EITHER his backpack OR my tote bag, but not both. If we're doing a dry-land day, it'll be his pack. If we're going to the beach, it'll be my tote bag. If we're shopping, the pack gives us a place for purchases. If we're going to the beach, the tote gives us space for towels and sunscreen.

We don't bother with water bottles anymore. Drinks are sold everywhere, and we like having something good and cold and refreshing.

Oh, one more thing: We both wear a hat off the ship. My husband, well, he's 50 now and is a tad thinner on top than he was in his youth, so he needs the hat to avoid sunburn. And we have occasionally had the bad luck to have rain on a port day. We don't mind getting wet (thinking warm weather, Caribbean port) as long as we can keep our faces dry. We're willing to be a little uncomfortable rather than miss an experience.

Edited by MrsPete

I make up an envelope for each island where we're doing an excursion:

On the outside I write the name /contact information /confirmation number of the excursion provider. Inside I pack cash to pay for the excursion + a tip. This means I don't have to keep up with how much money we need to bring ashore, and all the other envelopes stay in the stateroom safe.

My husband always wears cargo shorts or swim trunks (I pay close attention when I'm buying these items for him because some close more securely than others), and he carries our ship IDs, our credit card, and some cash. We figure his pocket is our most secure storage location.

I carry some cash in my pockets. IF something happened to the things in his pocket, we'd still have some cash.

I also carry my point-and-shoot camera in my pocket.

I leave my "just mine" credit card in the safe. IF something happened to "our" card that he has in his pocket, we'd still have my card for the rest of the cruise.

And we leave our passports in the safe.

Aside from those necessities, we carry EITHER his backpack OR my tote bag, but not both. If we're doing a dry-land day, it'll be his pack. If we're going to the beach, it'll be my tote bag. If we're shopping, the pack gives us a place for purchases. If we're going to the beach, the tote gives us space for towels and sunscreen.

We don't bother with water bottles anymore. Drinks are sold everywhere, and we like having something good and cold and refreshing.

Oh, one more thing: We both wear a hat off the ship. My husband, well, he's 50 now and is a tad thinner on top than he was in his youth, so he needs the hat to avoid sunburn. And we have occasionally had the bad luck to have rain on a port day. We don't mind getting wet (thinking warm weather, Caribbean port) as long as we can keep our faces dry. We're willing to be a little uncomfortable rather than miss an experience.

Thank you MrsPete for the great info. Do you only need your sign and sail card and ID to get back on the ship? You do not need your passport?

Thank you MrsPete for the great info. Do you only need your sign and sail card and ID to get back on the ship? You do not need your passport?
The ship's personnel checks your passport (or other ID) when you board the ship. They don't waste time checking it again and again.

What they do want to see is your ship ID -- the ID they made, the ID that has your most current photograph. They are very serious about that. For example, if you're wearing sunglasses when you re-board the ship, they'll ask you to remove them so they can see your face clearly and compare it to the photograph on their screen.

The people who really want to see your passport (or other ID) are the people in US Customs, that is, the people who will readmit you to the country. The ship's personnel only checks your ID so they'll know you'll be able to exit through Customs (and get out of their terminal) when the ship returns home.

Disclaimer: Once in a while, more ID is required to return to the pier. When this happens, it's the choice of the country where you're visiting, not the ship. Also when this happens, they'll let you know in the ship's daily newspaper -- do read each day so you'll be up-to-the-minute.