BelizeExcursions.com - good, bad? Anyone know?

NYC_Isa_NYC

Hi All,

Heading out on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas - Belize and Cozumel bound!!! While checking out excursions, I came across Belizeexcursions.com and would like to know if anyone's had any experience with them?

We want to do one of the Mayan excursions - undecided as to which one - Lamanai or Altun Ha. Kind of nervous to book outside of ship excursions since I've never done that. I've always gone directly through the ship.

TIA to anyone that can help me decide! :D

~ Isa

Hi fbricks, actually I've seen the .biz, but no, it's actually .com that I was looking into. How funny that it isn't more prominent anywhere here. I did find some stuff on Trip Advisor, however, I just trust the forums here so much more!

Thanks for the tip Swedish weave! I just checked out Major Tom and it seems so many people rave about him!

I am always nervous about booking excursions with anyone but the ship because I'd hate to be left behind!! Ideally, I'd like to do a combo tour, it seems Major Tom does that!

In 2011 we did the Lamanai and River excursion. We booked directly through the RC cruise line. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

It was a good thing I booked it through the cruise line. Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship.

Very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. I'm not sure the ship would have waited for us.

My wife took a lot of pictures. If you would like to see the slide show that she made, you can click on the link below. The slide show will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Lamanai Mayan Ruins Excursion

Many people like to book through local providers and I'm sure you will get some help from those who have experience doing this, but keep in mind that when you book excursions through any cruise line they have checked them and found they meet certain standards.

A major point is that the ship will not leave you if an approved excursion has a problem that brings you back to the ship late. Local tours you book on your own become your responsibility to get back on time.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks JimAOk!!!

I have to say, I am very, very nervous about booking outside of ship excursions for that reason. Hubby has me second guessing the local tour co's. I'm sure they're great, but your point is the big seller. We don't want to be left behind and one has no control over buses, traffic, break downs, etc.

As for your pics, they are awesome and the reason I am leaning towards Lamanai vs. Altun Ha. (I spied your pics from another post on Belize and I oohed and ahhed over them!). :D

I'm almost on overload with the excursions. I'm sure my brain will explode because I'm totally over thinking it all! LOL

~ Isa

Your Cruise newsletter has the phone number for the ship's agent for every port you go into. Take that number with you. If you find you are running late, call that number or have your driver do so. They will alert the ship that you are on your way. If there is a problem, they will let you know what you can do.

I have been on ships where they have held the ship as long as they can waiting for passengers. I regularly take private tours and have never been left behind. (And I have never had the ship held for me!) I don't do this in ports where cruise ships rarely go, but places like Roatan and Belize rely on cruisers, and the guides know they need to get you back in time.

The people you hear about being left behind are not the ones on private tours; they are the ones who went off on their own and didn't call the ship.

Edited by mconthehighseas

We booked Altun Ha with belizecruiseexcursions.com and were very pleased with the experience. We got to the ruins before the cruise tour and got to stay longer. Our guide was excellent and they provided detailed instructions were to meet him that were easy to follow once we got off the tender.

If I was heading to some of the further ruins though I might reconsider and book a ships excursion.

• 1 month later...

Do not use Belizeexcersions .biz or shoreexcersioneer to book any trip. They do not have truthful information about their tours and then after being scammed by booking a tour that was not provided or offered will not provide any customer service.