Yet another CAS question

johnsak123

So here is the dealio

I call CAS to give me a price on a cabin

(I roll but not too high)

They tell me I can get inside cabin free or if I want to upgrade to haven .....

Then they look at price of cabin and say OK 20% would be X$

I look at price of haven and 20% of cabin price is less than they quote and 20% off the cabin price is a lot more than they quoted me

Any clue as to what this all means

I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to CAS pricing just the luck of the drawer when you call

Cheers!!

So here is the dealio

I call CAS to give me a price on a cabin

(I roll but not too high)

They tell me I can get inside cabin free or if I want to upgrade to haven .....

Then they look at price of cabin and say OK 20% would be X$

I look at price of haven and 20% of cabin price is less than they quote and 20% off the cabin price is a lot more than they quoted me

Any clue as to what this all means

I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to CAS pricing just the luck of the drawer when you call

Cheers!!

There are a few ways that CAS can price an upgrade from a comp to A suite. One way is their own "standard" upgrade cost -a set price that CAS has to upgrade each jump in category (I think this one is called the META upgrade, and is not available for the highest level suites). Or they can use the actual difference in cost (this is the only way that works with some of the highest level suites). Or they can skip the comp altogether and just give you the standard 20% off the suite -this one works great for low level comps or highest level suites. For example my upcoming Garden Villa sailing - my comped mini suite upgraded to GV was more expensive than just taking 20% off the price of the GV. As a bonus, the 20% off rate qualifies for OBC, etc, that the comped>upgraded GV does not. So I am paying about $100 less at 20% off than I would have by upgrading my comp, plus I am getting $550 in OBC.

The 20% off rate will not be exactly 20% off the listed price, as CAS rates have to take our NCF before the calculation, and then add it back in along with the port charges. Also, CAS has their own pricing on some levels of suites, so 20% off a lower level Haven suite will usually be lower than 20% off list price, sometimes much lower if they have an abundance if those suites.

And... Sometimes they make mistakes. If you get a very low quite, book it on the spot, chances are pretty good it will be different when you call back.

Hope this all makes sense!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The way CAS prices things is a mystery.

In their defense, there are many, many variables.

Your past play.

What they expect you will play.

Current pricing of rooms.

Estimated number of rooms ship will have left.

Future pricing of rooms.

Time zone.

With a good CAS agent, you can ask for them to calculate upgrades in the various different ways. My rep does it all three ways for me and usually the price difference is negligible, but occasionally (especially if there's promotional OBC involved) it can be substantial.

Robin

thanks again robin

last year i got a great price and $300 obc

this year a great price but no obc

she calculated it withe the obc but the price increased the same as the obc

I also agree with garycarla

Friends and i cruise together(separate rooms) they are high rollers and my discount seems to be greater than theirs

Not sure why. It is a mystery

Cheers to all!!