Mexican Riviera cruise vs. Caribbean

Broadwaybb

My family is looking at cruises for next February. We have gone on numerous Carnival Caribbean cruises (Western, Eastern, and Southern). We are considering something different for next year and found a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Miracle. Does anyone have experience with this trip? The ports are Cabo and Puerto Vallerta. Are there any cruisers who can help us compare? We could also take the trip to Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, and Dominican Republic, but the price is considerably higher. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Mexican Riviera is ok, but I do prefer the Caribbean ports - particularly Southern Caribbean ports.

The trouble with Mexican Riviera in Feb, is that it might be cold for more than half of the cruise until you get far enough south, which takes about a day or so.

As far as ports, Cabo is pretty developed but is fun. We filled up the 2 port days there with fun activities. The whale watching there is probably one of the best spots in the world and February is right in the middle of whale watching season. Humpback, Blue and Grey whales will be there. The humpbacks are curious and came right up to the boat we were on.

Puerto Vallarta is very nice too. There is plenty to do and see and is one of those ports I decided to return to for a land-based vacation some time. There is a (non Carnival) tour that brings you out to swim with the dolphins in the wild. There are plenty of nice restaurants in town too, or places to see outside of town.

It is a nice cruise, but I do prefer the more port-intensive cruises in the Caribbean. My favorite cruises of all time are the Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan. Nothing beats those in my mind.

Mexican Riviera is ok, but I do prefer the Caribbean ports - particularly Southern Caribbean ports.

The trouble with Mexican Riviera in Feb, is that it might be cold for more than half of the cruise until you get far enough south, which takes about a day or so.

As far as ports, Cabo is pretty developed but is fun. We filled up the 2 port days there with fun activities. The whale watching there is probably one of the best spots in the world and February is right in the middle of whale watching season. Humpback, Blue and Grey whales will be there. The humpbacks are curious and came right up to the boat we were on.

Puerto Vallarta is very nice too. There is plenty to do and see and is one of those ports I decided to return to for a land-based vacation some time. There is a (non Carnival) tour that brings you out to swim with the dolphins in the wild. There are plenty of nice restaurants in town too, or places to see outside of town.

It is a nice cruise, but I do prefer the more port-intensive cruises in the Caribbean. My favorite cruises of all time are the Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan. Nothing beats those in my mind.

Agree about the Caribbean. When we did the Mexican Riveria, see my sig, they offered far better, IMHO, itineraries. Not sure I would enjoy just the 2 ports that they now offer.

We had done several Caribbean cruises and tried the Mexican Riviera on the Pride (6 years ago). It was great fun for something different. My kids had never been to LA so we went out five days early. We went to a great resort on Mazatlan with a fabulous pool. But we did have problems with red flags due to unsafe bacteria in ocean there and Puerta Vallarta. We did a nice hotel near the pier that had a pool. We were going to snuba on Cabo bit the high waves canceled most excursions. Swam with dolphins instead. All in all we had a great cruise but we found the beaches much better in the Caribbean. We are doing the Breeze in July to the other ports you mentioned so I can't yet directly compare those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family is looking at cruises for next February. We have gone on numerous Carnival Caribbean cruises (Western, Eastern, and Southern). We are considering something different for next year and found a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Miracle. Does anyone have experience with this trip? The ports are Cabo and Puerto Vallerta. Are there any cruisers who can help us compare? We could also take the trip to Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, and Dominican Republic, but the price is considerably higher. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

We just did that exact itinerary in February!

It was very nice - our second off the west coast for something "different". Beautiful ports - great excursions and although the water is not the brilliant blue of the Caribbean it is still quite nice. The time difference takes some getting used to - but definitely worth it! ;)

We had 2 days in Cabo and one in PV it also does 2 days is PV and one in Cabo - alternated week to week I think. We flew in to LAX - used Supershuttle to get to Long Beach and we stayed pre and post cruise at the Residence Inn that is right at the port. All of which I would recommend and do again.

If you can get a reasonable flight in to the LB airport that would save you some time. But for us it was MUCH more expensive. :o

If there are specific questions - I can try to help.

You can't go wrong with the other one either. We love ANY itinerary that includes Aruba and Curacao - have done that one too! Must say that Curacao is currently our "favorite port".

If you want more than just two ports, keep in mind that other cruise lines do offer the Mexican Riviera cruise with a third port of call. Check out Norwegian, Princess and Holland America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am looking at doing this same cruise for December 2015 (f Carnival will hurry up and release the dates!). I have sailed once to Cabo and LOVED IT!! February is prime whale watching season and PV at that time of year is probably still warm enough to go swimming. I think you should go on that cruise just for something different. Like the previous poster said, other cruise lines do sail to more ports. Hopefully, Carnival will add back Mazatlan in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the Miracle in February, too, and it wasn't cold at all. I've also done a similar itinerary over New Year's, and again, it was not cold. As divers we prefer the Caribbean, especially since we dive regularly in the Sea of Cortez, but it's hard to beat the friendliness of the people of Mexico.

Living with-in driving distance of Long Beach we have done lots of MR cruises and have done several Caribbean cruises. Although we love the Caribbean cruises, we always find something to do in both MR ports. Cabo is our favorite of the two ports.

Since you have done several Caribbean routes, you should try the MR. I think you will enjoy it very much.

yes the first and last sea day can be cold....

Cabo is an OK city for me I Prefer PV

end of the day though a cruise is a cruise if you have already been to the other ports, come to this end of the world and try it out.

We've cruised all over the world including the Caribbean and Mexico. Twice now to the Mexican Rivera(Feb trip review on Miracle is in my signature).

We enjoyed all our cruises and will do Mexico again since we live on the west coast. However, we will probably not do the Rivera with Carnival again(see my review for more information).

It's a great cruise, give it a try. Also if you've not been to LA before it's a great chance to spend a few days doing the sights and stuff there. :cool:

I live on the west coast so I have done quite a few Mexican cruises. I have to say I am done with Mexico. The last 2 times i was down there on cruises I no longer felt safe. With the drug wars going on things have happened to tourists and it has gone downhill. I live 40 minutes from Mexico and I wont set foot across the border ever again.

I enjoy our Mexican Riviera cruises and believe that since you've experienced the Caribbean numerous times you should try it! In my opinion, Cabo is all about the water, so plan a sailing/boating, snorkeling or swimming (or all three) activity. Puerto Vallarta has beautiful jungles and also lovely beaches down the coast and much more .

We had always wanted to do a Mex Riviera cruise, but always put it off because something else came up.. when we did do it, we were a bit disappointed. The cruise aspect itself was great, loved the ship we were on, but the snorkeling and diving didn't compare to some of the Caribbean spots we have been to. Water clarity and underwater scenery didn't match up to experiences we have had particularly on W. Carib cruises.

Guess it's all in what you want from the ports tho. Like others have said, there are some great resorts in these ports and we had table mates on our cruise that experienced and loved them. But for me, wanting to "dive in" I wouldn't do it again unless the ship choice was the sole reason for the cruise and if the ports didn't matter (which to us they often don't).

Did have a great time at Cabo Wabo though!!!! (Sammy Hagar's place).

Have a great cruise whatever you do!!

I think it's a left coast verses a right coast thing. We had a couple from California ask us to join them on a Mexican Riviera cruise after doing a bunch of east/west Caribbean cruises. I guess I can say we were glad we did it, but we were disappointed and probably wouldn't do it again.

First, it was SO cold sailing out and back into Long Beach. Then, it was so hot and humid in between, and was hard to cool off. Being sunworshippers, we were disappointed with the dark dirty looking sand. and the brown ocean waters.

Our three stops were Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. We basically did city tours in the first 2 stops, and a glass bottom boat combined with a beach stop in Cabo. Would have preferred more time there, but we sailed at 1.

We did however meet some great people. The flavor of Mexican music and activities made for a different and pleasurable experience.

I have done MR twice , love the warmth of the people and culture, cabo wabo tacos are amazing and PV was amazing adventures , there is so much to do and winery ,shopping can't be beat. I have also done the e Caribbean , and I don't find the people as not as warm , sorry to be honest with my opinion . So my next cruise is western and plan to go on MR with the hubby late 20114 or early 2015. Best of enjoyment what ever you choose.

I live on the west coast so I have done quite a few Mexican cruises. I have to say I am done with Mexico. The last 2 times i was down there on cruises I no longer felt safe. With the drug wars going on things have happened to tourists and it has gone downhill. I live 40 minutes from Mexico and I wont set foot across the border ever again.

I have been to Mexico several times in the last 5 years or so... been to many areas...port city and border city's and several places in between and I have never not felt save...yes there are bad areas just like any other place in the world or even in your hometown of San Diego ....I would not be afraid from going there but just like any where you should be aware of your surroundings

and not travel down dark alleys

I have done the Mexican Riviera cruise once, and I vacation in Mexico a lot, for 10-12 days at a time. Never have I felt unsafe. Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are very safe areas of Mexico, heck, Parts of Long Beach (embarkation port) are more unsafe than Cabo or PV. I have walked the streets of PV alone at night and felt perfectly safe. There are parts of Long Beach that I would never walk alone at night, possibly not even during the day.

I am going on the MR cruise from Long Beach on Miracle again this year, and I can't wait! There are things about both Caribbean cruises and MR cruises I love, but Mexico is just so special. As a matter of fact, the MR cruise is what made me want to vacation in PV, and have been 4 times on vacation since.

Like in any city, one should always use caution. But I'd say there are more unsafe places in the US than PV or Cabo.

Edited by Fitzget

I prefer the up/down movement of the ocean on the Pacific Coast to the side-to-side train-like motion on the Caribbean.

We liked some of the Caribbean ports but we are more comfortable in the Mexican ones. Just wish they would go back to Alcapulco, Ixtapa/Zihua., etc. Some cruise lines are going back to Mazatlan. Just got off a wonderful Princess cruise into the Sea of Cortez. LA-San Diego-La Paz, Loreto-Mazatlan.

Maybe I just like cruises I can drive home from if need be, lol.