hello

beekat

One more thing to keep in mind.......ships don't take off like planes do, which does cause anxiety. Ships start moving very gradually so you acclimate to a slight motion with no thought to movement whatsoever. You are there to enjoy the experience....so that's what you should be doing. :)

I have watched a ship on Utube going from Southampton to the usa and I frightened myself.lol.Because the way it when up and slammed back down.If I was to get that when I was on it, it would make my stomach turn.And I hate that feeling of my stomach turning when im on a plane . But the one I watched on utube was a ship in a storm.So heres me hoping there won't be one.i just have to get lucky I guess? And choose the right time of year.Because I hate the feeling of being on a roller coaster. But thanks so much for all your advice im going to look at the weather on the Atlantic and try and choose the best time to go.xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Okay....first bit of advice......STOP watching YouTube. They put those on there because they are sensational and not the norm. We've done 10 crossings at different times of the year and all were spectacular.

The QM2 was built to be the safest way to cross the Atlantic. If you were ever to feel uncomfortable.......go to the lowest public room, midship. There you will feel the least movement. Also, you will see that those around you aren't in the least anxious and that will give you peace of mind. Comfort in numbers. :)

Hi beekat, I was anxious when I first boarded QM2 for the first time 5 years ago. I was worried I would not like the feeling of being on a ship. However when the ship started to move you could hardly tell it was moving.

Since then we have done many trips with Cunard I just love being on board. I'm sure you will feel the same.

Catherine

Hi hun..my names kathryn aswell.:-D Thanku so much for that..Appreciate that.i cannot fly at all.i go numb all over my body.through panic.its scarey.

I've always wanted to go to America so when I saw there was a ship that goes from Southampton I was sooo happy.But it looks expensive? As I want to go there and get off and have 10 days to 2week there.

Yes im mostly scared if the unknown. ? The most part im scared of is being in a storm? Because the thing I hate when im on a plane is the sudden drop.(like on a roller coaster. ) And I've heard the ship can go up in abstorm and slam back down.making your stomach go.i know it sounds silly but I just want to be sure that when I do go that I will have a smooth crossing? But you can't be sure on the Atlantic. So its just choosing the best time of year really? Xxx Thankyou Catherine.

Hi hun..my names kathryn aswell.:-D Thanku so much for that..Appreciate that.i cannot fly at all.i go numb all over my body.through panic.its scarey.

I've always wanted to go to America so when I saw there was a ship that goes from Southampton I was sooo happy.But it looks expensive? As I want to go there and get off and have 10 days to 2week there.

Yes im mostly scared if the unknown. ? The most part im scared of is being in a storm? Because the thing I hate when im on a plane is the sudden drop.(like on a roller coaster. ) And I've heard the ship can go up in abstorm and slam back down.making your stomach go.i know it sounds silly but I just want to be sure that when I do go that I will have a smooth crossing? But you can't be sure on the Atlantic. So its just choosing the best time of year really? Xxx Thankyou Catherine.

If you want to watch Youtube may I recommend Genesis of a Queen. It's a ninety minute presentation by the man who designed Queen Mary 2. He gets more technical than he normally does because here he is addressing future naval architects and marine engineers. You'll come away with an appreciation on how carefully she was designed and built to specifically withstand the rigors of the North Atlantic.

... And I've heard the ship can go up in abstorm and slam back down.making your stomach go. i know it sounds silly but I just want to be sure that when I do go that I will have a smooth crossing? ...
Queen Mary 2 never pitches up violently and then slams back down. Never. Of course you can feel the ship's motion in very heavy seas, but that motion is never violent. Odds are your crossing will be smooth; only three of the forty Atlantic crossing days that I've experienced on QM2 were stormy, and they were in December.

Take BlueRiband's advice and watch that video by Stephen Payne, then you will never doubt the safety and comfort built into Queen Mary 2. Bon voyage!

Before we made our first crossing three years ago, I had many of the same anxieties that you have. I received such a flood of advice and reassurance on this board, that I booked passage both ways. We were so enthralled by those sailings, that we repeated them last summer, and this summer we'll be doing it yet again. Since you may find the questions I asked and the answers I received helpful, here is a link to the thread that made a sailor out of me. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1364268

As others have said, QM2 does not pitch up and down like a roller coaster. I too dislike the sinking feeling you sometimes get on an airplane, and I've been tossed about on ferries much to my dismay. But even in rough seas, the motion on QM2 is far slower. I don't recommend gazing at YouTube videos of QM2 in stormy seas, but if you do, you'll notice that the passengers aren't the slightest bit concerned. And if you keep your eyes on the horizon rather than on the waves, it will become apparent that the ship is extraordinarily stable. Of course, it does move, but you won't be bounced about.

Finally, you said that you want to be sure you'll have a smooth crossing. Alas, nothing in life is certain. If you demand certainty, you might as well never get out of bed, for, as the cliché says, the only certainties in life are death and taxes. But in your case, I think that there are other certainties. It is certain that you want to visit the United States. It is certain that you want to travel by ship. And it is certain that your anxiety is far more debilitating than any discomfort you might experience on a crossing. So, the remedy is simple. It isn't easy, but it is simple. Get your ticket for a midships cabin, get onboard, and have a wonderful time.

Let us know when you're ready to sail. We'll be happy cheer you on.

Edited by Thaxted

You are all so lovely I can't wait to meet such wonderful people.:-D Hope your on my ship.i won't be going any time soon as its alot of money.so I need to save.Why is it more money for solo travellers? Xxx

Why is it more money for solo travellers? Xxx

Cunard is a business and has to make money. They have to meet their costs. It costs them almost as much to have one person in the room as to have two. The only saving is on food, and that's only a fraction of the cost. They have to have just as many staff on, no matter whether there's one person in a room or two in a room, because they can't hire and fire staff for each cruise when they see how many singles there are. It all adds up, unfortunately.

Booking from the UK under the old system, we singles used to pay about an extra 85% for the person who was NOT accompanying us. If we bought a sale fare, then we paid 100%. I'm not sure what they are doing now under the old system.

Think of it as being like a hotel room. If I book a room, I pay the same price whether there's one of me or two.