Charging for teens

Cruising4

Can I setup a cash account for each teen at check-in? We would put $200 for each kid so there would be enough for the DSC, soda card and some spending money.

What would happen to the left over cash-on-account at the end of the cruise? (Assuming there is any!)

My concern is losing/theft of their card, not abuse.

Thank you.

When we set up accounts we had to give a credit card. On the bill you can see who charged what. If your worried about theft, any charges you didn't make you should dispute. I've been on many cruises and haven't heard about that type of issue. I'm sure someone will correct me though... :):)

When we set up accounts we had to give a credit card. On the bill you can see who charged what. If your worried about theft, any charges you didn't make you should dispute. I've been on many cruises and haven't heard about that type of issue. I'm sure someone will correct me though... :):)

Someone got ahold of my son's card at the kid's club (he had used it to check out a video game, and some kid took it from an unguarded folder). Kid ran up a ton of video game charges before I got to the service desk and shut it off. It took some effort to get the charges taken off.

You don't need to provide a credit card. You can put cash down on the account. In fact, the OP could pre-pay the DSC and pre-purchase the soda package if they want, then just put the amount they want the kids to spend on the accounts

Can I setup a cash account for each teen at check-in? We would put $200 for each kid so there would be enough for the DSC, soda card and some spending money.

What would happen to the left over cash-on-account at the end of the cruise? (Assuming there is any!)

My concern is losing/theft of their card, not abuse.

I wrote instructions how to do that just few days ago in another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016835#25

(Read posts #25 and #26 if the link doesn't take you to the correct post, post numbers are found at the right top corner of each post.)

I too suggest prepaying especially the service charges and maybe also the soda package for each, that way you don't have to worry about overspending that would also spend the money allocated to DSC for later days and force you to top up the account to cover those.

As you already were answered, the default is that the excess money will be sent to the account owner as a check in the mail after the cruise, sometimes 3-4 weeks later. From what I've read here, you can probably also get cash at least on disembarkation morning from Guest Services.

Also as said, if a card is lost, you need to tell your kids in advance to immediately contact the staff (or you, which ever is faster) to cancel the charging privileges on said card.

Edited by Demonyte