New none smoking on balcony rule.

triple3

Apparently so - see below

When will the smoking policy change take place?

The change will start from 26th March 2014 on P&O Ventura and 28th April 2014 on Queen Victoria, with the remaining ships to follow in April after the 2014 World Cruises. Queen Elizabeth will be in dry-dock at this time so the change takes place from June instead. The full list of cruises with the new smoking policy are listed below:

P&O Adonia D402 29th April 2014 - 6 night Guernsey and France

P&O Arcadia J402 13th April 2014 - 17 night Central Mediterranean

P&O Aurora R402 24th April 2014 - 3 night Bruges Short Break

P&O Azura A407 4th April 2014 - 3 night Bruges Short Break

P&O Oceana E406 5th April 2014 - 14 night Western Mediterranean

P&O Oriana X408 18th April 2014 - 2 night Bruges Short Break

P&O Ventura N407/N407A 26th March 2014 - 7/14 night Mediterranean Fly-Cruise

I'm not a smoker but you can still smoke on certain parts of the fleet - see below

Where can I smoke on board?

There are dedicated areas on each ship where you are permitted to smoke*. Smoking is not permitted in any public room, inside your cabin or on your cabin balcony.

*Due to weather and/or cleaning process, these locations may change from time to time.

Designated Smoking Areas

Adonia:

Deck 9 Starboard Side Forward (Open deck)

Deck 5 - Starboard Side

Arcadia:

Deck 11 - Port side, outside the East bar

Deck 10 - Port side, outside the Crow's Nest bar

Deck 10 - Port side, aft, above Aquarius bar

Deck 9 - Port side, table area of Aquarius bar

Deck 3 - Starboard side of Promenade deck

Aurora:

Port side and aft outer deck on decks 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14.

Azura:

Starboard side of open decks.

Oceana:

Deck 12 Port side forward.

Deck 15 port side forward by the Pennant Bar

Deck 7 Port side all along the promenade deck

Oriana:

Deck 12 Forward - by the Riviera pool on the port side

Deck 12 Aft - by the Terrace bar - Starboard side

Decks 11 down to 9 on the aft end, starboard side.

Deck 7 starboard side of the Prom Deck

Ventura:

Deck 15 Starboard forward

Deck 7 Starboard side of Prom Deck

Safety Information

All smoking areas will be sign posted as designated smoking areas. It is prohibited to throw cigarette ends or flick ash over the ship’s side or over your balcony handrail because they can be drawn back into the ship and cause a fire hazard. Please use the receptacles and ashtrays provided and ensure that smoking materials are fully extinguished.

Electronic Cigarettes

For information regarding electronic cigarettes, please see "Do you allow the use of electronic cigarettes in non smoking areas on your ships?"

It has been discussed for quite some time. We were also sent emails and a letter along with our confirmation letter stating about the new smoking rules.

I think p and O started saying about it last year. Also if you are a smoker would you not have asked about where you could smoke at the time of booking.

I think there are a couple of places on deck where smokers can still huddle.

I know when this was first mentioned some people were saying they would not book balconies now, as the only reason they booked one was so they could smoke.

I think we must have been lucky as we have not had any seriously heavy smokers anywhere near us. Mind you we have had some "nice smokers coughs" clearing their lungs first thing in the morning.

A friend just returned from a P&O cruise, only smoked his pipe in permitted areas.. made the big mistake of cleaning his pipe in the cabin, his steward found filters in the waste bin and reported him, thinking that he lit up in the cabin. My friends punishment..a notice was pinned on the door for all to see that smoking in cabins was forbidden.

Not being a vigilante but this is good news for us, On our Caribbean trip the cabin next door was occupied by three elderly women one of whom was a chain smoker with a cough that suggested she had only hours to live, It was very unpleasant for us, both smell and sound!!:mad:

I have not had a balcony yet, so have not experienced being next to a smoker on a ship.

However, we have just had a holiday in a terraced apartment on a complex and found we shared every cigarette and cough with next door!! They were constantly lighting up and the smell would be over our side immediately - and that without the wind of the sea.

Quite frankly, it was horrible and it was then that I could fully appreciate how a next door cabin smoker could make things very unpleasant on a cruise.

We are really glad about this ban as I suffer from bronchiectasis. Never touched a cigarette in my (fairly long!) life. If any of you happen to be in a cabin near us I apologise now for my cough,,,part of the condition I'm afraid. Always makes for a talking point!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not a smoker but you can still smoke on certain parts of the fleet - see below

Where can I smoke on board?

There are dedicated areas on each ship where you are permitted to smoke*. Smoking is not permitted in any public room, inside your cabin or on your cabin balcony.

*Due to weather and/or cleaning process, these locations may change from time to time.

Designated Smoking Areas

Adonia:

Deck 9 Starboard Side Forward (Open deck)

Deck 5 - Starboard Side

Arcadia:

Deck 11 - Port side, outside the East bar

Deck 10 - Port side, outside the Crow's Nest bar

Deck 10 - Port side, aft, above Aquarius bar

Deck 9 - Port side, table area of Aquarius bar

Deck 3 - Starboard side of Promenade deck

Aurora:

Port side and aft outer deck on decks 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14.

Azura:

Starboard side of open decks.

Oceana:

Deck 12 Port side forward.

Deck 15 port side forward by the Pennant Bar

Deck 7 Port side all along the promenade deck

Oriana:

Deck 12 Forward - by the Riviera pool on the port side

Deck 12 Aft - by the Terrace bar - Starboard side

Decks 11 down to 9 on the aft end, starboard side.

Deck 7 starboard side of the Prom Deck

Ventura:

Deck 15 Starboard forward

Deck 7 Starboard side of Prom Deck

Safety Information

All smoking areas will be sign posted as designated smoking areas. It is prohibited to throw cigarette ends or flick ash over the ship’s side or over your balcony handrail because they can be drawn back into the ship and cause a fire hazard. Please use the receptacles and ashtrays provided and ensure that smoking materials are fully extinguished.

Electronic Cigarettes

For information regarding electronic cigarettes, please see "Do you allow the use of electronic cigarettes in non smoking areas on your ships?"

Good on them re electronic cigarettes

although I thought most of them gave off a vapour

Yes, electronic cigarettes that do not emit a vapour may be used in cabins and on cabin balconies however, they are not permitted in non-smoking public areas. Although we recognise that electronic cigarettes are not covered by the UK legislation we have taken the decision to prohibit their use in public areas in the same way as real cigarettes for the benefit of all of our passengers.

Electronic cigarettes that do emit a vapour should be used in designated smoking areas only.

Good on them re electronic cigarettes

although I thought most of them gave off a vapour

Yes, electronic cigarettes that do not emit a vapour may be used in cabins and on cabin balconies however, they are not permitted in non-smoking public areas. Although we recognise that electronic cigarettes are not covered by the UK legislation we have taken the decision to prohibit their use in public areas in the same way as real cigarettes for the benefit of all of our passengers.

Electronic cigarettes that do emit a vapour should be used in designated smoking areas only.

I am not a smoker, never have been. I find the smell of cigarette smoke extremely unpleasant. However, I find the above absolutely crazy. What conceivable harm to anyone else can someone do by smoking an e cigarette which emits nothing?

Edited by Denarius

Pound to a penny some insignificant nonentity of an individual will ignore the rules & spark up with no action from the crew.

If its in the cabin I think there will be action. If its on the balcony There will be action, as I am sure other balcony cabins will complain.

I once read on one of the American threads that on their ships you get fined sqillons (200$?) to enable a deep clean to be done on your cabin before the next occupant.

I am not a smoker, never have been. I find the smell of cigarette smoke extremely unpleasant. However, I find the above absolutely crazy. What conceivable harm to anyone else can someone do by smoking an e cigarette which emits nothing?

Quite a bit actually - not sure how to link this but I found this in the Telegraph

8:36PM BST 08 Apr 2014

A barmaid was left shocked after an e-cigarette exploded in a Yorkshire pub, setting her dress alight.

Laura Baty, 18, was serving a customer when she heard a loud bang and saw the device shoot in her direction.

The flames singed her arms and set her dress on fire as she tried to get out of the way.

The e-cigarette - which had been on charge behind the bar - then landed on the floor and scorched the vinyl tiles before burning itself out.

Part of it also hit at customer at the Buck Inn Hotel, in Richmond, North Yorks, and left him with a red mark on his stomach.

We cancelled our balcony the date P&O Announced this.

Downgraded to the Chepest inside.

Told them exactly why when asked as well.

It's P&O's loss in my eyes and my gain.

I was wondering if they would allow downgrades due this change to the terms and conditions. I'm sure there'll be lots of people who flout the rule though. How can people prove where the smoke is coming from?

We cancelled our balcony the date P&O Announced this.

Downgraded to the Chepest inside.

Told them exactly why when asked as well.

It's P&O's loss in my eyes and my gain.

Can't see how P&O will lose - may be a few smokers will book an inside but more people who want to enjoy the fresh air will book a balcony

Fortunately smokers are still the minority of the population

The main reason for banning them is confusion amongst other passengers who might think the e-cig is real and complain to the crew who will then have to sort ths confusion out. Then you have the recent reports that e-cigs might not be safe after all.