Allison & David's Carnival Valor (3/2/14) Anniversary Adventure

ucfalli

Day 4: St. Thomas/St. John Continued

3/03/14

You can get right up to the rocks while snorkeling:

ry%3D400

Looking at the beach when coming back ashore. You can see how there is very little beach to set up on. I believe there were 3 ships in port as well.

ry%3D400

There are bathrooms and showers to clean up with at Trunk Bay, which we took advantage of.

We started to head back to the ferry around 1pm. .

Before heading back on the ferry we went by the the visitor center so I could get my park stamp.

ry%3D400

Right by the ferry:

ry%3D400

We took the ferry back to St. Thomas and then took a taxi back to the ship. Good thing we headed back early! Traffic was very bad right by the port. Our driver ended up taking a short cut through a neighborhood to avoid some of the traffic. Once back on the boat we dropped off our stuff and grabbed a late lunch.

ry%3D400

Edited by ucfalli

3/03/14

Leaving St. Thomas:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Bye St. Thomas!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After lunch we went into the hot tub for a little bit and then relaxed at Serenity.

Couldn't be all fun...we went to the gym for a bit and then showered/ got ready for dinner.

Before dinner we caught the second half of the family friendly comedy show (kept forgetting about this early time).

After the comedy, we found our table for dinner (late seating). At first I was disappointed, cause we weren't in the main dinning room and then because we were upstairs. But was pleasantly surprised to find out that we were in a booth and that it was just us! We ending up liking our table very much.

ry%3D400

3/03/14

I ended up just getting the turkey farfalle for dinner:

ry%3D400

David got the chicken

ry%3D400

We both got the banana split for desert (kids menu)

ry%3D400

We watched the Welcome Aboard Show (which was the same as always). We met Felipe the cruise director. We both really liked him. He had a good energy. Then headed to watch both adult comedy shows (Happy Cole and William Traxler). David really liked Happy Cole.

Night Night!

ry%3D400

At 12:15pm we boarded the ship! The atrium was very quiet and we were one of the first ones on the ship. We immediately greeted with Latino music and ready to start the cruise!

We walked around the boat for a little, but we couldn't do our normal full tour of this ship since a lot was still closed. We ended up heading of the boat soon after dropping our stuff the room.

I'm trying to decide if I should get FTTF or not, do you remember what time your room was ready?

I'm trying to decide if I should get FTTF or not, do you remember what time your room was ready?

We probably dropped off our stuff at around 1:30pm. I personally think FTTF is waste on this cruise. But to each their own. I know it sold out several times before sailing.

Day 5: Sea Day

3/04/14

Woke up late today at 9am! We headed to brunch in the dinning room since this was the only sea day. Both David and I noticed that OJ on this cruise tasted funny. It tasted good on previous cruises... so not sure what happened. It now tasted artificial?

I got some french toast (plain, not funny..), scrambled eggs, and ordered some curly fries. They thankfully got rid of the comedy portion. Wasn't a fan of it previously.

ry%3D400

We ordered our past drinks at the very end and took them to go. David got a Twilight Zone and me a Kiss on the Lips. This is the first time we got straw cover's in cute designs.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We initially took the drinks to the secret deck on 6, but it was too windy, so we just chilled on the lido deck instead. We went to try to play some mini golf, but there was a tournament going on. Instead we took a nap in Serenity. Then it was time for the ice carving demonstration. This was the first time that the "chief" wasn't carved. It was instead a coral and fish.

ry%3D400

Lido Deck

ry%3D400

Edited by ucfalli

3/04/14

Then it was time for our mini golf tournament. David won on the Dream and me on the Miracle, so we would see who was the real champion on this cruise! I won the first round, David the second, and then David won the tie breaker...oh well.

ry%3D400

Loved that little owl:

ry%3D400

We caught the end of the hairy chest contest before lunch. We then watched the Love and Marriage show, which we always enjoy and then headed to the gym.

Kiss cam while waiting for the Love and Marriage Show:

ry%3D400

Tonight was our 1st formal night, so we showered and got ready.

We went upstairs to quickly first to check out the sunset (was too cloudy).

ry%3D400

Yummy taste bar:

ry%3D400

Edited by ucfalli

3/04/14

So I had my wedding dress shortened before this cruise because I wanted to wear it again. This was the first time I've gotten compliments on my dress.

ry%3D400

Then it was dinner time. I had the snapper, white mushrooms, and pumpkin soup. David had the ribs with the kids mac and cheese (a favorite of his).

ry%3D400

I always forgot to take photos of our food!

ry%3D400

Time for singing!

ry%3D400

We caught the show Nightclub Express. Was an ok show. I don't know why they don't update the graphics though...

Night night!

ry%3D400

Pre-Trip:

2/27/14

We drove down to South Florida the night before to stay with my parents before our flight out of Fort Lauderdale to San Juan. We ended up getting a better flight deal and it gave a good excuse to see my parents. After working half a day I got a mani/pedi (very rare occasion for me) and spent the rest of the day scrambling around and packing (once again wondering why vacations take so much work :rolleyes:). Once David got home from work we ate a quick dinner, I made sure Poko (my cat) was all set up, and we were on our way to South Florida. We got in pretty late, so only got to spend a little bit of time catching up with my parents.

Side note: We decided to not bring Poko down to South Florida this trip and decided she would be happier at home with people checking in on her since we would only be gone only about a week. For those who read my last review, you know that Poko went into shut down mode last time... not eating, drinking, or moving for a few days. It caused a bit of stress needless to say.

This is Poko ...(meow!)

ry%3D400

Day 1: Flight to San Juan

2/28/14

We woke up way too early for me at 5am. Quickly ate and packed up. We had originally planned on having my father drop us off at the airport but a couple weeks before he tore a tendon in his foot, had foot surgery, and now was unable to drive. We parked at the Park n' Fly. Was quick and easy and we got to the airport very shortly after. It always surprises me how busy the airport is so early in the morning. The line for the baggage check thankfully went quickly. We then made our way to go through security and were randomly picked to go through the TSA pre-screen line. Was our first time and it felt very odd not having to take off shoes, belts, and jackets! Felt like we time traveled back to what it was like at the airport pre 9/11.

Shortly after arriving at our gate boarding started for our Jet Blue flight to San Juan. The difference is amazing between a flight on Jet Blue with a free checked in bag vs a flight on something like American Airlines. There even was opened overhead bins after take off!. Everything just went faster. Each seat also had one of those personal TV's. We both ended up getting sucked into watching Gravity again. In no time, about 2 hours later, we were landing in San Juan!

In a side note: Jet Blue automatically gives you the whole can of soda!.

Good bye rainy Fort Lauderdale!

ry%3D400

One of those movies that suck you in

ry%3D400

Hola San Juan!

ry%3D400

The airport at San Juan isn't large, you just have a walk surprisingly far to get your luggage. After getting our luggage we headed to get a cab. The cab line was moderately long, but it went very quick. They have someone writing on up on a paper your destination, how many bags you have and what the cost will be. I was highly impressed. It was the best set up I have seen at any airport. I believe the cost was about $24 pre tip for the cab with our bags.

We soon arrived at our hotel, the Sheraton in Old San Juan. It was shortly after noon, and our room wasn't ready so we left our bags with the bellman.

We made our way towards El Morro. We took photos along the way and ended up walking along the old city wall. We found out that it ended right by El Morro and that you can't get directly to the fort from down there, so we backtracked a little. The views were worth it though and thankfully there was a breeze!

Awww, Poko looks to be a brown and white version of my Mr. Fluff. Aren't cats fussy when you take them out of their environment.

Thanks for doing this great review! We are doing this same itinerary in August and I'm so glad I found this! Giving me lots of ideas of what to do for the 2 days pre-cruise! We have been to SJ a couple of times, so some new ideas are a must! :) One question, when you went to see the flamenco dancers, is it included in the price of dinner? How far in advance is the recommendation for reservation? Can you make reservations via email????

Thanks for doing this great review! We are doing this same itinerary in August and I'm so glad I found this! Giving me lots of ideas of what to do for the 2 days pre-cruise! We have been to SJ a couple of times, so some new ideas are a must! :) One question, when you went to see the flamenco dancers, is it included in the price of dinner? How far in advance is the recommendation for reservation? Can you make reservations via email????

We had reservations for the night we flew into San Juan, but because our plane was late arriving, we missed our reservation to Barrachina's. Our driver, called the restaurant and was able to get our party of six a table to see the Flamenco Dancers. It pays to know the right people it seems.

If you want to see the show, it begins at 8:00pm on Friday and Saturday nights only. You can reserve a table here:http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php. Just click on the "Online Reservations" to reserve your table.

We had reservations for the night we flew into San Juan, but because our plane was late arriving, we missed our reservation to Barrachina's. Our driver, called the restaurant and was able to get our party of six a table to see the Flamenco Dancers. It pays to know the right people it seems.

If you want to see the show, it begins at 8:00pm on Friday and Saturday nights only. You can reserve a table here:http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php. Just click on the "Online Reservations" to reserve your table.

Thanks for the information!!

For the flamenco show you MUST call to reserve it specifically. You can make a reservation online for dinner but you have to call and tell them you want to be seated for the show. The show is in a separate room.

Puerto Rico isn't international. I had no charges with using my phone to call to Puerto Rico and when I was there. I have ATT. They answer in spanish but will switch to english.

The show itself is free. You just have to order a dinner which is moderately priced. The menu is online. The show is worth it. :)

I don't know how fast they fill up. I called about 1.5 months in advance.

Love your review any chance you have the fun times from your trip.... will be abroad in august..... just curious thanks in advance

I do but I couldn't figure out for my last review how to scan then and make them big enough that you can read it. I used this review for the Fun Times. It will be very similar, it's also a great review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645&page=2