Allison & David's Carnival Valor (3/2/14) Anniversary Adventure

ucfalli

Day 6: Barbados

3/05/14

Today we arrived in Barbados! We woke up and ate a big breakfast.

ry%3D400

The port of Barbados is very industrial. Not the prettiest.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hint, stand on the other side to get the ship in the photo as well.

ry%3D400

We booked a snorkeling excursion with Action Charters. The price was right and they had good reviews. Going into this I knew from reading other reviews that it can get crowded with all the boats trying to see the turtles. After lots and lots of searching, I only found one charter that left earlier before the others, but they didn't place you with others. The price was for six people. Since there was only the two us, it would of been too much money.

We booked for the 3 hour day cruise. I didn't think it was worth the extra $20 per person for the lunch cruise. I'd rather save $40 and use it towards another excursion.

The day cruise is from 10am to 1pm (3 hours). It includes: transport, open bar, snorkel gear and swim vests

We met at the taxi stand per our instruction. At first there was some confusion due them having my maiden name down on the list (even though that wasn't the name I gave them. My maiden name still comes up in my e-mail even after changing it).

We boarded a van and took a very quick ride to our catamaran. We boarded the Stiletto, which is the larger of their two boats. I don't know how many were on it, but I do know that the max capacity is 26 people. It's a pretty big boat, so there is plenty room to move around. Most people sat in the back in the shade (that was us), or at the front of the boat where they have the open netting.

They had an open bar. I had rum punch which was pretty strong. David drank rum punch and beer. They also had wine and liquor... of course water as well.

ry%3D400

Edited by ucfalli

Day 6: Barbados

3/05/14

Very shortly after starting up, we made it to our first stop to see some turtles. There were many boats. Basically every company I saw online while researching was there in the vicinity. They weren't all on top of each other, but that would be my one complaint about snorkeling in Barbados. Crowds were a problem.

The water is very clear and pretty in Barbados.

We saw only a few turtles. I think we saw more turtles when we snorkeled in St. Thomas several years ago and it was less crowded.

The sister catamaran following us.

ry%3D400

Coastline:

ry%3D400

Lots and lots of boats!

ry%3D400

The Stiletto

ry%3D400

They keep moving!... hard to photograph

ry%3D400

For the flamenco show you MUST call to reserve it specifically. You can make a reservation online for dinner but you have to call and tell them you want to be seated for the show. The show is in a separate room.

Puerto Rico isn't international. I had no charges with using my phone to call to Puerto Rico and when I was there. I have ATT. They answer in spanish but will switch to english.

The show itself is free. You just have to order a dinner which is moderately priced. The menu is online. The show is worth it. :)

I don't know how fast they fill up. I called about 1.5 months in advance.

Thanks for the information! I'm in Canada, so not sure about 'international rates'! Maybe I'll have a friend in the US call for me! :)

I'm trying to decide if I should get FTTF or not, do you remember what time your room was ready?

We sailed in March of this year and had FTTF. We checked in at 10:45 with no line at the priority; however, there was no line at the regular line either. Priority Boarding did not start until noon. Our rooms were ready when we got on the ship, but all rooms were ready by 1:00. One time we went to Guest services there was no line at either priority or regular. One time there was a long line at GS for regular and only 1 person in front of us at Priority. There are no tender ports on this cruise.

El Yunque is I think an hour away and you basically have all day to do what you want since the boat's all aboard isn't till 9pm. You have plenty of time. I personally just would find an organized tour for peace of mind so you don't get stressed getting back to the boat. Also driving in Puerto Rice is pretty crazy (my opinion).

Natural Wonders is the best... We did back to back cruises which meant we were in SJ for disembark & embark. They picked us up in the morning when the ship got in to port / a wonderful day of adventure in forest & water slide (water smelled like fresh linen)... Also took us to a tent on side of road where some folks were cooking. Grabbed the best PR food I've had in my life and had us back to ship in plenty of time to sail. They are very responsible and as long as they know to get you back - with time to spare. They will ;)

Day 6: Barbados Continued

3/05/14

We then made our way to our second site which had a couple of shipwreck's. This was the clearest ship wreck I have seen while snorkeling.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our captain had fish food on him...which the fish liked a lot!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Soon enough we were sailing again and they opened up the sails:

ry%3D400

3/05/14

This was actually our first time on a catamaran. The experience as very nice. Before we started sailing the captain warned that he always looses a hat (so to put them away). Sure enough one got away. David almost caught it.

The crew passed around yummy banana bread and drinks were served again. The crew was great. They were always there when you needed them. Only us and one other couple were not doing the lunch cruise. They dropped us off very close to the shore and a driver was there to take us back to the boat (the other couple to their hotel). The driver was great and we chatted with him the whole way back.

Sailing past our ship:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Before we headed back onto the ship we did some quick shopping and took advantage of the FREE wifi in the port. Barbados is the only port on this cruise that has free wifi in the port building. Of course everyone else was on it as well, so it was a bit slow.

Once back on board we dropped off our stuff and grabbed lunch. There was practically no line for the Mongolian Wok, so we finally decided to try it. It was just ok. Honestly don't think I'd bother again.

ry%3D400

We showered and got ready for the night. We went down to the secret deck to enjoy some wine and the sunset.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

3/05/14

ry%3D400

They celebrated Mardi Gras tonight since last night was formal night. David and I made some masks. Unfortunately the glue they had was horrible and made it a little difficult.

David is an expert photo bomber...

ry%3D400

We watched the "Gravity Defying Comedy of Dana Tison" before dinner. He was funny and did a great show. After the show they had Mardi Gras Fun going on in the atrium (throwing out beads and noise makers).

Something that I am now going to discuss.... I found a lot of activities they had planned were better geared towards the early dinning folks. Maybe that was a good thing (so much going on every night). I just felt like there often things that I would of liked to do/see that we couldn't.

Then we headed to dinner and once again I forgot to take photos of the food. After diner we hung out till the Mardi Gras deck party started. There was a bunch of line dances and they threw out beads to people.

Towel animal explosion!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We hung out for a bit and then checked out the Mexican buffet. I was still full from dinner. David just got some watermelon and cheese.

Day 5: Sea Day

3/04/14

So I had my wedding dress shortened before this cruise because I wanted to wear it again. This was the first time I've gotten compliments on my dress.

ry%3D400

Loving the review and I love that you were able to wear your wedding dress again!

Day 6: St Lucia

3/06/14

Today is my favorite port of our trip!! It was the port I was looking most forward to and it didn't let me down. After breakfast we headed off the boat. Tours and taxi's pick up right outside the port building. The exit puts you right onto street. It is very crowded, with vendors hassling you.

We waited a few moments for Vicky from More Then a Cab to pick us up. This was a private tour for the two of us. I can't speak more highly for Vicky. This was the best tour we have ever taken. Vicky truly makes you feel like family. I came across Vicky while researching St. Lucia tours on Cruise Critic.

Vicky was very quick to get back to me via e-mail with any questions I had. I told her what we wanted to do and she lets you know the price including the entrance fees. Drinks and food aren't included. The cost for the two of us was $180.00. She is worth every penny and if we are in St. Lucia, we will more certainly use her again.

If you get motion sickness at all, make sure you take all necessary precautions. I don't get motion sick, yet I even felt it a little. All you do is twist and turn the whole way. Thank goodness we weren't driving!

Vicky has a driver, so she can spend her time with you telling you what you are seeing along the way.

On the way out of Castries we drove past the governor's mansion and stopped briefly for a scenic overlook of the port.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Out of the Caribbean islands we have visited, I have to say that St. Lucia is the most beautiful but the worst poverty wise we have seen.

We stopped for a view point of the pitons as we got closer.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Day 6: St Lucia Continued

3/06/14

We visited the hot springs in Sulfrie first. We were given our own tour guide (beat the other tours). She was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about the hot springs. Tour guides are included in the price, but tips are welcomed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Next we headed to the Tet Paul Trail. This was something I very much wanted to do, but a lot of tours didn't include. Picking Vicky for our excursion allowed us to decided everything we wanted to see.

It didn't disappoint. The Tet Pail Trail is an easy trail that has amazing vista points. Once again a guide took us on a private tour (included in admission). The guides in St. Lucia are very passionate about their island and it comes across in their tours. The foliage throughout the tour was pointed out and explained.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by ucfalli

3/06/14

Last stop was an antique house and an explanation of how casava is made. Previously there was a lady that would make the casava fresh with a demonstration, but we were informed that she recently passed away. Overall I highly recommend the Tet Paul Trail!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We then headed to the Botanical Gardens/Diamond Waterfall. On the way we stopped at monument/view point.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

3/06/14

We next headed to the Toraille Falls. Was very crowded. Vicky knew the guy at the ticket booth and had us bypass the line. We had to climb over people practically to see the waterfall. There were also lots of people in the waterfall which seemed to be very cold (people's screams gave it away..lol).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After the falls we stopped for cassava bread and stopped for a view of Marigot Bay.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We tired some banana ketchup. Wasn't my favorite, a little too sweet. After getting back to the port we wanted to do some quick souvenir shopping, but the streets weren't pedestrian friendly at all.

We got a late snack and then watched sail away.

ry%3D400