How does back to back work?

AnJ

I'm thinking of taking a cruise on the Summit next winter and they have alternating itineraries, I was wondering how one handles this? Do you have to leave the ship, do you leave after the disembarking passengers leave? Do you have to clear your accounts, (OBC, etc.) or just continue on as one would on a 14 day cruise?

We've taken other cruises but never a B to B.

Thanks Al

When the passengers who will be disembarking at the end of the first cruise receive their disembarkation packets the B2B passengers will receive a succinct letter of instructions as to how the turnaround day will be handled. This letter will also include a transit pass which will make it easy to return to the ship and bypass lines on the turnaround day.

We tend to do B2B cruises, and have had the turnaround day handled in a number of different manners. But each leg of the B2B is considered a separate cruise for accounting purposes, so there is no carry-over of non-refundable OBC or unused internet minutes. You will also be issued a second sea pass, even if you don't change staterooms.

I'm thinking of taking a cruise on the Summit next winter and they have alternating itineraries, I was wondering how one handles this? Do you have to leave the ship, do you leave after the disembarking passengers leave? Do you have to clear your accounts, (OBC, etc.) or just continue on as one would on a 14 day cruise?

The turnaround on the Summit last winter was at San Juan and they had us meet on the ship as a group. Then they walked us off the ship together briefly to show our passports to the immigration people.

We were given our new seapass cards and allowed right back on the ship, or were free to go off on our own for the day, as we wished.

We were not required to go with the group. That was just provided as a convenience for the B2B passengers to get us through immigration quickly.

If you wished, you could get off with the passengers who were departing and wait in the regular immigration line with them.

If you did that, then you received your new seapass card when you returned to the ship later in the day.

Either way, it was easy and not a problem.

As mentioned, they are treated as two different cruises for accounting purposes, each with its own reservation number, regardless of whether or not you are changing cabins.

You should receive an account statement at the end of the first cruise showing your final account balance for that cruise. If it looks correct, you don't need to do anything if you are using a credit card account as the balance or credit will automatically go to your credit card.

But if using a cash account, then you would need to go to Guest Relations to settle your account.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks, guys, your answers pretty much resolved my suspicions as to the accounting. My TA is offering me $150 OBC when I book, I'll have to ask if it's $75 each week or how it's being done... As far as the other perks, Classic Drink Package, pre-paid Grats, I guess that comes with the second weeks seapass cards..

Thanks, guys, your answers pretty much resolved my suspicions as to the accounting. My TA is offering me $150 OBC when I book, I'll have to ask if it's $75 each week or how it's being done... As far as the other perks, Classic Drink Package, pre-paid Grats, I guess that comes with the second weeks seapass cards..
You should get the perks for both cruises, unless you booked at a special discounted rate that doesn't qualify for the perks.

Thanks, I'm going to call my TA first thing tomorrow and see how this works, with them. If all is good, I'm going to book the Summit Southern Carib., back2back, each week different islands, and a very port intensive cruise, 14 days,2 sea days....

If I may also ask, must B2B pax vacate their stateroom if they are not changing cabins? Must their luggage go off the ship and then back on? May B2B pax get off the ship to go through customs any time they like up until disembarkation, or must they be cleared before new pax embark?

Sorry if the answers to these questions seem obvious to others from the posts on this thread, but it's still not clear to me the exact procedure.

Thanks ever so much!

If I may also ask, must B2B pax vacate their stateroom if they are not changing cabins? Must their luggage go off the ship and then back on? May B2B pax get off the ship to go through customs any time they like up until disembarkation, or must they be cleared before new pax embark?

Sorry if the answers to these questions seem obvious to others from the posts on this thread, but it's still not clear to me the exact procedure.

Thanks ever so much!

If a B2B passenger is not changing staterooms then the luggage and all belongings just stay in the stateroom.

It has always seemed to me that the number of B2B passengers is one of the factors in how the turnaround day procedure is handled. One time, when there were only about twelve we all assembled in a specified location and were taken off as a group to go through customs; then those who wanted to return to the ship were allowed to immediately return while those who wanted to stay on shore had their transit passes to bypass the lines of embarking passengers.

I am not sure I understand your question, but if the procedure outlined in the instruction letter conflicts with any plans you have, then just drop by Guest Relations and explain the problem. For example, on one TA the turnaround day was in Barcelona. There were about 300 B2B passengers, so we were assigned a time slot for the procedure. Our initial time slot didn't work for us as we had plans to go to Montserrat on turnaround day. So Guest Relations just gave us an earlier time slot.

The stateroom attendants will need to get in to make up your stateroom and they don't like to do it while passengers are in there. You could sit out on your balcony if you don't want to go elsewhere, if that is acceptable to them.

You may, or may not be required to leave the ship.

No, luggage does not go off the ship, regardless of whether or not you are changing staterooms.

If you are staying in the same stateroom, you just leave everything right where it is.

None of us can tell you with certainty what the "exact procedure" will be because it can vary from location to location and even from one cruise to the next for the same ship at the same location.

At some ports, you are already pre-cleared before you even get there so you don't need to do anything at all but punch out with your old card and punch back in with the new one.

At some ports they want everyone off the ship while they zero down the count.

You will receive instructions on the ship notifying you of the turnaround day procedure to be followed for your cruise.

Even then, it is possible that some last minute deviation or delay may occur. but it really is nothing to worry about.

If you want to go off on your own that day, they will tell you what time you need to be back on board, typically before the muster drill.

(Yes, Celebrity requires us to do the muster drill again.)

If you want to take one of the ship's excursions, the shore excursion people willl answer all your questions.

Just more info to support whats already been written. We did B2B last DEC, and the turnaround in Valpariso, Chile could not have been easier.

You fill out a form, and the cabin attendants know you are "staying", + they do the normal daily cleaning---- all your "stuff'' is left exactly where you left it. You get back on board ( we did a day tour) in an express line and the new sea-card is ready for you. Absolutely fast + easy, + stress-free.

We have done 2 B2Bs.

One was on the Solstice and all B2Bers had to leave the ship for a thorough noro cleaning and we did not have access to our cabins until almost 5PM on turnaround day. Those changing cabins brought their 'carry on' stuff to Michael's where it was kept for the day, if they did not want to lug it around during their tour.

The second was on the Constellation and we left the ship to wander Amsterdam. If I recall correctly, they closed the doors to the stairways/elevator lobbies, thus blocking access to cabins to all guests until the announcement that cabins are ready. Not sure if you can stay in your cabin, and if you would then be stuck there if you did. Anyone have experience doing this?

If I may also ask, must B2B pax vacate their stateroom if they are not changing cabins?

Thanks ever so much!

On my B2B we were told we must vacate the cabin for cleaning. I talked to my room steward and told him I wanted to sleep in on that day. He told me to stay as long as I wanted and tell him when I wanted him to clean the cabin. I had a lovely leisurely morning and got my cabin cleaned when I wanted it done. I was also able to return whenever I wanted. On that particular cruise, we did not have to depart the ship. We simply had to go down to the boarding area, have our sea pass put through the machine to clear us from that cruise, and then were issued a new sea pass card.

Carolyn

ON b2b cruises at USA ports, including San Juan (a USA territory), you have to go through customs. As others have said you can do this during the general disembarkation if you are going ashore for the day or you can do it at the end of general disembarkation along with other B2B cruisers who are staying on the ship. You do not have to take your possessions off with you as it is more of an immigration check than a customs import check. If you are staying in your cabin then you don't need to pack anything. If you are changing cabins you will have to pack most, but not all, items to move them (or have your cabin stewards move them) to your next stateroom but you do not have to take them off the ship and through customs.

At most non USA ports there is no such requirement to pass through customs and immigration on closed loop (round trip) cruises and you can just stay on the ship or walk off and on more or less at your leisure.

Edited by Lsimon

• 2 weeks later...
ON b2b cruises at USA ports, including San Juan (a USA territory), you have to go through customs. As others have said you can do this during the general disembarkation if you are going ashore for the day or you can do it at the end of general disembarkation along with other B2B cruisers who are staying on the ship. You do not have to take your possessions off with you as it is more of an immigration check than a customs import check. If you are staying in your cabin then you don't need to pack anything. If you are changing cabins you will have to pack most, but not all, items to move them (or have your cabin stewards move them) to your next stateroom but you do not have to take them off the ship and through customs.

At most non USA ports there is no such requirement to pass through customs and immigration on closed loop (round trip) cruises and you can just stay on the ship or walk off and on more or less at your leisure.

We are doing our first B2B in Oct. We do have to change cabins, as our category is not available on the second part of the B2B, We have to move across the hall. What I didn't understand in your post is the statement about not having to move all items. Could you explain.

We are doing our first B2B in Oct. We do have to change cabins, as our category is not available on the second part of the B2B, We have to move across the hall. What I didn't understand in your post is the statement about not having to move all items. Could you explain.

What I thought I said is that you don't have to pack all your items. For example you do not have to pack your hanging items in the closet. Your cabin steward (current or future room) should be able to find a clothes rack and move these items for you. Likewise some large items can just be carried rather than packed as if you were leaving the ship and heading to an airport. This would especially be the case if your cabin is right across the hall. You can discuss this with your cabin stewards a few days before the end of your first segment so you'll know what you need to do and what they will assist you with.

What I thought I said is that you don't have to pack all your items. For example you do not have to pack your hanging items in the closet. Your cabin steward (current or future room) should be able to find a clothes rack and move these items for you. Likewise some large items can just be carried rather than packed as if you were leaving the ship and heading to an airport. This would especially be the case if your cabin is right across the hall. You can discuss this with your cabin stewards a few days before the end of your first segment so you'll know what you need to do and what they will assist you with.

Thanks Larry for your quick response. You have been very helpful.

The turnaround on the Summit last winter was at San Juan and they had us meet on the ship as a group. Then they walked us off the ship together briefly to show our passports to the immigration people.

We were given our new seapass cards and allowed right back on the ship, or were free to go off on our own for the day, as we wished.

We were not required to go with the group. That was just provided as a convenience for the B2B passengers to get us through immigration quickly.

If you wished, you could get off with the passengers who were departing and wait in the regular immigration line with them.

If you did that, then you received your new seapass card when you returned to the ship later in the day.

Either way, it was easy and not a problem.

As mentioned, they are treated as two different cruises for accounting purposes, each with its own reservation number, regardless of whether or not you are changing cabins.

You should receive an account statement at the end of the first cruise showing your final account balance for that cruise. If it looks correct, you don't need to do anything if you are using a credit card account as the balance or credit will automatically go to your credit card.

But if using a cash account, then you would need to go to Guest Relations to settle your account.

We also were on a B2B on the Summit in Feb 2014 and the turnaround in San Juan was handled just as fleckle explained. It was painless for us (but we were in the same cabin on both legs). It took about 30 minutes. I believe we met as a group in one of the lounges for the walk-off and walk-on around 10:00 a.m. as I recall.