Confused

olemissreb

DH and I have never been to St. Kitts. We will be there in March. I'm researching excursions and I'm torn. Any help on the following would be much appreciated:

1 - Thenford Grey - "The Tour" is it 3-4 hours to tour the island plus 1-2 hours for beach and/or shopping? Doesn't appear to include entrance fees for the price?

2 - Royston - "Island Tour" - basically the same as Thenford Grey but includes lunch, drinks and entrance fees (also $3 cheaper).

3 - Sky Safari - full tour of 5 zip lines. Shortest tour which would give us lots of time for shopping or beach time. Something a little different that the usual island tour.

We will be in port from 8-5. The day prior, we'll be in St. Croix and are doing either an ATV ride or bicycle ride so we may want to take it easier on St. Kitts, but not sure if spending 3-4 hours in a bus is the way to go.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Can't comment on your other two options, but I wholeheartedly recommend Royston. We have done the tour twice (although the second time it was just my husband and I so we got to customize and see parts of the island not included on the typical tour. We are booked for a third time in May, as we will be sailing with another couple who has never visited St. Kitts. I think it is the best of all possible options for St. Kitts, which I also think is the most beautiful of all the islands I have visited. You travel in a circle around the island hitting many hilights then have time in the afternoon to spend at the beach. You are in and out of the van as you visit Caribelle Batik, the fort, the black rocks, so never feel like you are trapped in a vehicle. Royston is an excellent guide, soft spoken, kind hearted (delivered toys to children along the road on our last tour), knowledgeable and passionate about his island. An excellent value!

Hey - I just noticed your user name. Our son is at Ole Miss majoring in Southern Studies and my husband & I are from Georgia - small world.

Edited by VaCruzers
Just noticed your user name

Thanks for the information VACruzer. I'm still torn as to whether to do something "passive" like the island tours or something more active like the ziplines. I do want to book something before we leave rather than wait until we get to the island to choose what to do.

Hotty Toddy to your son! If you make it to Oxford during football season, you'll have to come over to our tent (The Wazoo) and introduce yourselves and join us at our tailgate. We set up behind the band - white tent with Colonel Rebel painted on it. Hope we get to meet soon!

Hi Fellow SEC fan!

A sort of passive thing that gives you a tour of the island is the "Sugar Train Railway".

As a tailgater, you will appreciate they serve "drinks" and it can be fun. :D

LuLu

~~~

Thanks LuLu! Let me guess - Gamecocks fan? (I noticed you were from SC so I'm taking a WAG>)

Is the Sugar Train Railway different than the other railway I've been reading about? The one I've been reading about usually only goes 18 miles around the island and the other 12 are done either by bus or catamaran.

Thanks LuLu! Let me guess - Gamecocks fan? (I noticed you were from SC so I'm taking a WAG>)

Is the Sugar Train Railway different than the other railway I've been reading about? The one I've been reading about usually only goes 18 miles around the island and the other 12 are done either by bus or catamaran.

Yes, Cocks fans (my alma mater ... DH Clemson but he doesn't like to admit it ... hangs his diploma over the toilet in our bathroom. :D)

Back in our younger days, we actually went to some games in Oxford. Always, back before it was banned, in both Columbia & Oxford all of us would stand and sing "Dixie" when it was the Ole Miss fight song.

Don't remember how many miles around the island the train went but it was to places we'd never been. Little kiddos would come out and wave as we passed by. We took the catamaran option back.

The catamaran to Nevis is better but the train is a more "laid back" option and enjoyable.

LuLu

~~~

DH and I have never been to St. Kitts. We will be there in March. I'm researching excursions and I'm torn. Any help on the following would be much appreciated:

1 - Thenford Grey - "The Tour" is it 3-4 hours to tour the island plus 1-2 hours for beach and/or shopping? Doesn't appear to include entrance fees for the price?

We will be in port from 8-5. The day prior, we'll be in St. Croix and are doing either an ATV ride or bicycle ride so we may want to take it easier on St. Kitts, but not sure if spending 3-4 hours in a bus is the way to go.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

We did "The Tour" a few weeks ago with Thenford Grey's Tours. It was excellent. We had his brother, Sackville Grey, who did a great tour. Yes, the tour is 3-4 hrs and then some beach time afterwards. We were given a choice of 2 beaches and majority rules. Our tour lasted at least 4 hrs and we were pretty tired. Since we were doing beach days on several other stops, we elected to return to the ship, so we did not go to the beach at all. The others on our tour went to Carambola Beach Club, I think.

Yes, Cocks fans (my alma mater ... DH Clemson but he doesn't like to admit it ... hangs his diploma over the toilet in our bathroom. :D)

Back in our younger days, we actually went to some games in Oxford. Always, back before it was banned, in both Columbia & Oxford all of us would stand and sing "Dixie" when it was the Ole Miss fight song.

Don't remember how many miles around the island the train went but it was to places we'd never been. Little kiddos would come out and wave as we passed by. We took the catamaran option back.

The catamaran to Nevis is better but the train is a more "laid back" option and enjoyable.

LuLu

~~~

Actually the official Ole Miss fight song is "Forward Rebels (aka Rebel March)". Dixie is still played - oftentimes right after Rebel March. The song that was banned was "From Dixie with Love" which is a compilation of "Dixie" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". The Pride of the South does play a very bastardized version of Dixie with Love now, but it doesn't really have the same affect as the original. Breaks my heart too since DH and I both were in the Pride of the South and played the original (even got standing ovations at LSU stadium both times we were there).

Thanks for the info about the catamaran to Nevis. I was looking at that too. So much to do and so little time!

We did "The Tour" a few weeks ago with Thenford Grey's Tours. It was excellent. We had his brother, Sackville Grey, who did a great tour. Yes, the tour is 3-4 hrs and then some beach time afterwards. We were given a choice of 2 beaches and majority rules. Our tour lasted at least 4 hrs and we were pretty tired. Since we were doing beach days on several other stops, we elected to return to the ship, so we did not go to the beach at all. The others on our tour went to Carambola Beach Club, I think.

Thanks Audcc. What is it about sitting on a bus for several hours that always seems so tiring? That was one thing I was concerned about - doing the tour and getting tired anyway.

Did the tour with Royston and loved it. Make sure you get him and the windowless Toyota van. No AC but none needed with all the air blowing in. Perfect for pictures.

If you want to go with him make sure you book it that way so don't get in the big AC van with his cousin.

It was nothing like any other tour we've done before. Well worth every penny. Loved the cooler on the front seat and the openers strategically located around the van.;)