Tipping in Ultimate Dining ?/ UDP vs. Complementary restaurant

Boscodog

NCL does provide a way to avoid all that. Adjust the DSC to a level you choose then cash tip those that truly shine. You know, the way it used to be.

Remember you can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC), up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment. :)

Am I correct that you can only go to the customer service desk on the final evening to request an adjustment. Is there a form to complete?

Maybe not...however, there are enough in there to clearly answer your question, so I'd still like to ask why on earth you would even have to ask in the first place???

It shows you have not experienced when the DSC came into existence. When it was started it was clear to all that it was a TIP. Now they word it differently. It is the same as when it first started. It all came about due to the "Freestyle type" dinning that all the cruiselines seem to do on some scale now days.

Edited by NH Cruisers

Note to seashark, I block your drivel so I don't answer your posts unless I happen to read them in another quoted post. In this case it looks like egg is on your face, yet again.

When will you ever stop questioning my knowledge and wisdom?

P.S. Thanks j-9, good info.

Where is the comeback on this one?:D

I just love it when a plan comes together.

Haha, thanks for the lecture. It does matter to me if it's 'hidden' anywhere. Companies hide things from customers for a reason.....

P.S. You continue to read my twisted fiction for a reason. I love my fans :)

WOW! Just WOW! I can't speak for njhorseman, but the only reason I read your posts is because they are in the queue of unread posts. :rolleyes: As for "fans", you sound like a prima donna pop-star (except I'm sure no pop-star would spend their time on a cruise forum). :p

Correct, you are not informed. Take a cruise and you will notice on several notices, freestyle dailys etc NCL states 'discretionary service charge'. If you want to debate the actual title NCL uses, pass. NCL refers to it, quite often, as the discretionary service charge. That is good enough for me and anyone with any common sense.

Read my sig line, I HAVE taken a cruise on NCL. The Epic, last Thanksgiving. I am fully informed. Of course you pass on anything of substance. It's doubtful your true "fans" care about substance anyway. :rolleyes:

I was always told not to discuss politics nor religion. Now I must add tipping to that list. Some of these posts are either funny or sarcastic:rolleyes:Tipping has always been a personal thing and it still seems to hit sensitive buttons. I do appreciate the addressing of additional tipping in the specialty restaurants which I will be using on my upcoming Getaway cruise in November.

My take on this discussion is that I will tip my server; amount determined by the level of service provided.

My cruising history goes way back and the new world of cruising has changed so much. But for me, tipping is and always will be a way to show appreciation for a job well done. Acknowledgement at work always made me great, and that feeling is nice to pass on to others.

I have a coin jar in the kitchen that I drop in change from my pockets; by time my next cruise rolls around I have all the tip money I need. I personally enjoy tipping, these ship employees work very hard and have to put up with a lot of nasty passengers, so something extra from me adds to my cruise experience. To each his or her own, What others do with their hard earned money is their business. I am just thankful that I have the means to take cruises when so many out there cant.

I do appreciate this thread addressing policy and not what is considered appropriate above and beyond the policy.

Now if NCL would only change Freestyle to Customized cruising.......with so many venues with a charge and having to make reservations.....free seems outta place. But that's another subject.:D:D:D

Now if NCL would only change Freestyle to Customized cruising.......with so many venues with a charge and having to make reservations.....free seems outta place. But that's another subject.:D:D:D

I understood that it was the Freestyle concept that NCL use, that attracts the support for this informality. I would have never been able to take my Wife on a cruise if everything had been the "old-fashioned " way of dressing up in penquin suits and ball gowns and being told what particular colour to wear each night and being faced with other people at your table at specific time slots. As soon as she was aware that NCL allow to wear virtually what you want and eat where you want and when you want, she went for the idea.

UDP is a way of paying for your meals....it has no bearing on whether or not you give a gratuity.

As the FAQ on NCL's website states...tipping (not to be confused with the DSC which is covered separately) isn't required, but is TOTALLY up to each individual.

You are free to tip or not for ANY meal (specialty or complimentary) as YOU see fit. Nobody will judge you either way.

Perfect answer SeaShark!:)