First time group planner. Any advice/help is appreciated.

Hey there Cruisecritic! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am in the process of planning a group cruise. August 23, 2015 out of Galveston on the Navigator OTS. All family and friends. My grandmother has previously planned all of our family cruises and this is the first time I am taking the reins. I have already contacted Royal and received specifics from them, just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any advice for me. Anything that I may run into that you can warn me about before it's too late.

Some specifics: As of now, planning on at least 8 staterooms with double occupancy. 4 balcony cabins and 4 inside rooms currently planned. I would like to have them all be close to each other. Would everyone think this is a possibility booking this far out? Bringing with a handful of first-time cruisers so I want to make sure everything is perfect for them.

Anyway, you all have already instilled me with tons of knowledge from my years of lurking and I thank you all for that. Just any FAQs or things you think I should know will be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of planning a group cruise. August 23, 2015 out of Galveston on the Navigator OTS. All family and friends. My grandmother has previously planned all of our family cruises and this is the first time I am taking the reins. I have already contacted Royal and received specifics from them, just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any advice for me. Anything that I may run into that you can warn me about before it's too late.

Some specifics: As of now, planning on at least 8 staterooms with double occupancy. 4 balcony cabins and 4 inside rooms currently planned. I would like to have them all be close to each other. Would everyone think this is a possibility booking this far out? Bringing with a handful of first-time cruisers so I want to make sure everything is perfect for them.

Anyway, you all have already instilled me with tons of knowledge from my years of lurking and I thank you all for that. Just any FAQs or things you think I should know will be greatly appreciated.

What are the ages of the group?

Edited by debitoo

Sorry, the age of the group varies somewhat. Myself, my sister, and our friends are in our mid-20s. My parents will be celebrating their 50th and 55th Birthdays on the ship and my other family is in the 35-55 range. But for the most part, we all look to do the same things on a cruise. Well at least, that is what I gather from previous cruises. The majority of us just like to relax, have a few (too many??) drinks, and have fun. Haha

Not to be mean, but a search can come in handly-

I just seached "group" and this recent thread came up- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017160&highlight=group

I learned a lot about in that thread, and I've even hosted two group cruises.

Alright, this thread can end. That is fine. I have read the thread you copied. Thank you.

Hi there,

The editorial section of Cruise Critic's site has a whole page on this very topic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisestyles/area.cfm?area=37. This article will probably be the most helpful to you: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=272.

Good luck! :)

I suggest fixed time Dining I would think, and you'll need 2 tables.

As of now the fixed times are 5:30 and 8pm.

Be sure all of the reservations are "linked".

It might be easiest to go with a travel agent (TA) for this.

Tip: The first night in the dining room, ask the waiter(s) to bring the cheese/fruit/nut plate (no extra charge) and have this on the table each night. That way the first to arrive have something to munch on while waiting for the others.

Any children going? If so, some families might want two connecting cabins (with the inside door so you can go from one cabin to the other without going into the hallway) -- parents in one cabin, kids in the other. Especially book early if one of the cabins need to hold 3 or 4 kids.

I'd book as early as possible so you get your desired cabins. You can always cancel before final payment date for a full refund. Also, periodically check the RCI site for price. If the price drops before final payment date, you can get the lower price.

It used to be you get one free passenger (fare only is free -- you still pay taxes and port charges) for each 8 cabins. Check on this with RCI or your TA.

Edited by Jimnbigd

I've hosted 9 group cruises, with people I don't always know... they buy in to come with my hubby and I as he hosts a radio show in Canada.

The first thing I can suggest it to not set yourself up for failure.

This means, it is NOT going to be perfect... for anyone you bring.

It is not up to you to make it perfect... they go into this needing to have an open mind and a positive heart!

Secondly, I have found a TA is a huuuuuge asset.

They are able to do all the basic work that will take you hours to do with RCCL reps over the phone.

Also, there could be some discounts that you can offer your group for having so many people on at the same time.

Sometimes its called "amenity points" and I have had everything from cocktail parties, to on board credit. Look into that with your TA.

I have also received a discount on my room if I have enough people buy into my group.

I hope you find this all helpful!!!

Good Luck.