Changing Rooms "Unofficially"

For my first cruise in about 20 years, I'll be cruising in July on the Allure. I'm going with my parents, and my sister and her family.

We booked three balcony rooms with a travel agent last month. The preferred arrangement would be my parents together in a room, my sister and family in a room, and myself in my own room. However, the travel agent, in conjunction with the RCL agent on the phone, booked my father into the single room and my mom and I in a room together. They did this in order to secure certain discounts (military, senior) for my father.

Obviously, when we board the ship, we'd like to switch. The travel agent says we need to do this "unofficially" in order to keep the discounts. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Does this mean my father and I will need to carry a copy of each other's room cards on us in addition to our actual sea pass cards? Are there any complications about this situation that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for any assistance!

When I was 19 I traveled on the Voyager with my parents and younger brother in two cabins, but since I was under 21, technically it was booked as my mother and brother in one cabin and my father and I in the other. We just went to guest relations and switched the assignments of my mother and I and let the Cabin Steward know in case his list wasn't updated. There were no issues.

Your TA is correct. Get copies of each other cabin doors. The "keys" will only open the door, they cannot be used to charge anything so no issues there just in case you dad wanted to run up a big bar bill on your tab :eek:.

Keep in mind your dad might be getting a discount, but he'll also be getting the double points being a single in a cabin alone.

Do not get them to switch assignments. Just get copies made. The cabin stewart sees this all the time, he won't care so long as he gets his tips. :)

Your TA is correct. Get copies of each other cabin doors. The "keys" will only open the door, they cannot be used to charge anything so no issues there just in case you dad wanted to run up a big bar bill on your tab :eek:.

Keep in mind your dad might be getting a discount, but he'll also be getting the double points being a single in a cabin alone.

Do not get them to switch assignments. Just get copies made. The cabin stewart sees this all the time, he won't care so long as he gets his tips. :)

Agree! We do this all the time. You will receive another card that says Extra Key on it. So you will carry one for your sail pass and the other to get you in the room.

How about booking one of your sister's family in the cabin with the single occupant? That would avoid having to pay the single supplement. Then you can move around once on board.
Assuming that your sister's family is more than two people, this is EXCELLENT advice. I assume that both your father and mother are 55+ and each eligible for a Senior rate. The second person with a Senior Rate (or Military or whatever) holder also gets that reduced rate. So if Mom has a Senior Rate and you are with her, you would also get that rate. Singles usualling have to pay 200% (not including taxes, fees and gratuities), so assigning a second person with a single is almost free:)

Thom

The downside for you... As a solo you should get double Crown and Anchor points. If, on paper, you are bunked with mom, you'll get single points(unless mom's in a JS or better). OTOH, as a family, you are evidently getting a better price. Also, if your dad has to cancel (illness or whatever), the cabin you expected to occupy is gone; you'll be in mom's cabin instead (solo if she cancels with dad). If those little trade-offs are worth it to you, go with your TA's suggestions. Check in at the pier with you original cabin assignments.

Once you board, go to guest services. I'd ask them to rearrange the names into the correct cabins; likely they will cheerfully do so. Then one card will work for charges and to open the door. And if the ship as on TV account review, you'll see your account, not dad's. Small stuff, but nice.

If they do not wish to rearrange the names into the correct cabins, just ask for extra keys for each cabin; you'll then carry two cards. One official one for charges and such and an extra key just to open the cabin door.

If sis has 3-4 people in her cabin, perhaps it will save more if somebody is booked with dad to avaoid a solo supplement. Just be sure they can still get a cabin that will comfortably hold her whole family (right category with enough beds).

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I believe the reason my TA booked it this way, and didn't put someone from my sister's cabin in with the single room is that they are a couple (2 adults) with two children (with kids cruise free deal). So, I'd assume that if they took one of the adults out of my sister's room it would be the same deal as a single occupancy. I'll try to get guest services to change it, and if not, my dad and I will both just carry two cards. Whatever happens, I'm happy to be cruising again!