Jewel Drydock Speculation - Just For Fun

Fishbait17

I'm pretty sure our upcoming sailing on the Jewel (5/17/14 to Alaska) is the first one after the ship's drydock, as it last shows arrival in San Francisco on 5/5/14, with nothing showing in between (plus I read about it here on CC a while ago. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1901883 ). This will be my second time sailing the Jewel immediately after drydock - last time there was an accident while the ship was drydocked in Boston that took one day off our sailing.. I hope we're luckier this time!

So now it's time for speculation, especially if this is a real 12 day drydock (last one was only seven days NYC-BOS and back). I'm assuming that they will be doing mechanical maintenance and repairs. I'm also assuming that The Jewel will be the first ship in its class to see Blue Lagoon being replaced by O'Sheehan's. I'm interested to see how this will be done.. I think they will put O'Sheehan's in the same location as Blue Lagoon, and possibly even spread in the current Moderno space (since BL is kinda small for a whole area like O'Sheehan's). If so, where do you think they might put Moderno? Or other ideas about where O'Sheehan's may go? I haven't seen any reports on any real mechanical issues on the Jewel, but maybe they have something big to do with this too? Anything else (besides new carpets, etc) that anyone would guess could be done?

Just for fun, one way to pass time now that I've finished my taxes and am now getting excited for Alaska! Speculate away!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We are sailing in the Jewel 6/28. Is O'Sheehans also a 24 hr eatery like BL? Does anyine know if Drydock is in tge SF Bayarea or in the Pacific NW?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

Yes it is, but it's more elaborate - hopefully a much bigger menu since the BL menu on the Gem last month was getting sparse. I'm hoping they will be including a bar and have seating around the rail overlooking the atrium (similar to the newer builds) for movie watching, listening to the atrium entertainers, etc. But, of course, this is all speculation on my part, hence the thread to get others' ideas.

No idea where the drydock will actually take place, with 12 days it could be in numerous places.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The more I think about this, the more I think they WILL move Moderno, and I have a good guess where it might go.. On our last Gem sailing, they were no longer using the part if Cagney's attached to the Star Bar (the area overlooking the pool decks that they used to use for the Haven dining on most Jewel-class ships). On that sailing ALL Cagneys dining (Breakfast and lunch for suite guests, plus specialty dinners) took place in the larger dining room on the aft side, behind the elevators. That forward space behind he Star bar a good, underutilized place for Moderno to move to as it can share Cagney's kitchen..

Robin

New behind the scenes security features, upgraded navigational equipment, upgrades to the communication system, upgrades to the galleys (new kitchen equipment?).

That sounds like cool stuff.. Maybe upgraded satellite equipment for onboard Internet? (We can wish can't we? :p)

I'm selfishly hoping for some updating in the Garden Villas, they really are getting a bit dated...

Robin

We are on the Panama Canal Transit, repositioning cruise out of New Orleans, the last NCL Jewel sailing before Dry Dock.

We had an option of disembarking at either the 13 Day point, San Diego, or since we were skipping one regular ports and the usual Los Angeles disembark, going on to San Francisco. We opted for the 13 Day plan with reduction in fare and on board credit for reduced Port stops.

I will ask about O'Sheehan's and Moderno at our Meet & Greet if I can remember it...and loving both venues, I probably can :p

One thing I definitely hope they do not remove/"improve" is the loss of our beloved Spinnaker Lounge for more VIP digs :cool:

Scrap the Spinnaker on 12, move to 7 aft. New suites deck 12 fwd... Will be a sad day.

Hopefully not. My understanding was they weren't touching the Jewel class because they already had more suites than the Dawn class because of the Haven.

On our spring break cruise a month ago, one of the cruise director staff was telling us that the jewel will just get a freshen up, and an O'Sheehans. Not touching Spinnaker (thankfully. That space is vital during Alaska sailings).

We loved the jewel.