SCUBA in Grand Turk

operator542

AmR87, when do you go? We are on the Glory sailing out of Miami on Jan 9. We are novice divers. At the moment, I have the ship's excursion booked, but but we may cancel and try a different company as we're looking for a smaller group with few divers per DM.

I think the ship uses Oasis.

We are going next week. Cruise leaves Saturday. I can let you know how it is when we return on the 4th!

I am definitely a little more nervous with a bigger group. However, I remind myself that I have had plenty of training and 5 dives in addition to my training. I am trying to force myself to become slightly more independent in the sport!

Thanks! I contacted Oasis about hiring a private DM, and they won't schedule that until we're onboard, and then only if they happen to have extra staff available. So I'm not sure if we'll keep our reservation or not... I'd love to hear your experience!

In Grand Turk they do use Oasis. You would have to check the excursion description online to see if gear is included. Sometimes they have 2 options to sign up for one with gear and one without fear. I can't recall because I haul my own.

We have done both Carnivals excursion and private ops. With the independent op we went with on GT we had to take a cab to their shop. We had to walk into chest deep water to get on the little boat and the group was small because there was no room for more. We had 3 plus a DM and DMC. We all went into the water, and on the 2nd dive the DMC lost the boat. We weren't lost, so that was kind of entertaining.

With the ship op you still enter from the beach, but right at port and they have a nice big boat they pull right up into the sand.

As far as being a new diver. I would let the DM know, but honestly, you are certified and you have a buddy. Some ops with provide you with your own DM for a fee. But I don't think the ship will. It might be something you can ask in advance.