Good snorkeling at these beaches?

gardiner41

Someone just suggested these two spots

Has anyone been to them? Can you give details on the type of snorkeling at them and if the beach hopper bus goes to them and how long it takes to get to them from the port?

Thank you

Arashi beach, wrecks off Malmok beach, Galleon wreck off Manchebo

Just got back from Aruba. We went snokeling w/ Jolly pirates to Malmok beach, Antilla wreck & Boca Catalina beach. the wreck was interesting but I prefer the shallower areas. We saw DOZENS of starfish at Catalina & a gorgeous yellow spotted eel at Malmok Beach. I believe the bus does run to these areas. Sorry I cant help you with the time it takes. Hope you enjoy your cruise. This was our first time in Aruba & LOVED it!

Edited by bonvoyageET

Just got back from Aruba. We went snokeling w/ Jolly pirates to Malmok beach, Antilla wreck & Boca Catalina beach. the wreck was interesting but I prefer the shallower areas. We saw DOZENS of starfish at Catalina & a gorgeous yellow spotted eel at Malmok Beach. I believe the bus does run to these areas. Sorry I cant help you with the time it takes. Hope you enjoy your cruise. This was our first time in Aruba & LOVED it!

Thanks! This is great info. I found out the bus goes to Malmok Still waiting to hear if it goes to Boca Catalina. I have heard Catalina is excellent snorkeling...really hop the bus goes there :)

This will be our first time in Aruba as well. From everything I hear it is a beautiful Island and one we will fall in love with as well.

Someone just suggested these two spots

Has anyone been to them? Can you give details on the type of snorkeling at them and if the beach hopper bus goes to them and how long it takes to get to them from the port?

Thank you

Arashi beach, wrecks off Malmok beach, Galleon wreck off Manchebo

The wreck which I believe you may be referring to is the Antilla. It is closer to Boca Catalina than Malmok and you cannot swim there from shore. The Antilla is a half mile OFF OF THE COAST of the Boca Catalina. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.601643&lon=-70.056682&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2

As to the Galleon, I don't know how to break the news to you so I will just tell it like it is...The galleon ship was a restaurant at the Bucuti Resort. It was ON THE BEACH and never in the water. No matter, it is no longer there anyway. ;)

Thanks! This is great info. I found out the bus goes to Malmok Still waiting to hear if it goes to Boca Catalina. I have heard Catalina is excellent snorkeling...really hop the bus goes there :)

This will be our first time in Aruba as well. From everything I hear it is a beautiful Island and one we will fall in love with as well.

North of Palm Beach the snorkeling from the shore, south to north are at Malmok, Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove and Arashi Beach.

Malmok is very small area. Sometimes there is a sandy entry and sometimes there is not. There are a good number of rocks/boulders.

Unless you are very skilled, and athletic, the entry at Catalina Cove is also difficult, though doable. The entry here is extremely rocky. If there are any waves at all, it will be that much more of a challenge.

We have found it much easier to enter the water at the small beach at Boca Catalina. Park here and enter the water from the beach Just off the beach there will be some juvenile fish. From here swim north towards Catalina Cove.

The visibility may not be very good between the entry and the point towards the cove where you begin seeing coral and rocks rather than just sandy bottom.

Go in the morning when the winds and current are less and you can spend as little or as much time as you wish in this location.

Just as a safety precaution if you enter the water at the beach at Boca Catalina, swimming north a bit and turn around and swim back to your original entry. This is to test the current. This will allow you to judge how difficult your swim will be. You don't want to have to swim north and then walk the hot dusty road back to your car at Boca Catalina.

If you wish to enter the water at Arashi, due to a large area of shallow rocks,you then need to swim out much further to then turn south to get around the rocks.

The #10 bus will get you to the areas above. The bus turns around at Arashi. Tell the bus driver where you would like to be dropped off.

MORE Boca Catalina info

[

North of Palm Beach the snorkeling from the shore, south to north are at Malmok, Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove and Arashi Beach.

Malmok is very small area. Sometimes there is a sandy entry and sometimes there is not. There are a good number of rocks/boulders.

Unless you are very skilled, and athletic, the entry at Catalina Cove is also difficult, though doable. The entry here is extremely rocky. If there are any waves at all, it will be that much more of a challenge.

We have found it much easier to enter the water at the small beach at Boca Catalina. Park here and enter the water from the beach Just off the beach there will be some juvenile fish. From here swim north towards Catalina Cove.

The visibility may not be very good between the entry and the point towards the cove where you begin seeing coral and rocks rather than just sandy bottom.

Go in the morning when the winds and current are less and you can spend as little or as much time as you wish in this location.

Just as a safety precaution if you enter the water at the beach at Boca Catalina, swimming north a bit and turn around and swim back to your original entry. This is to test the current. This will allow you to judge how difficult your swim will be. You don't want to have to swim north and then walk the hot dusty road back to your car at Boca Catalina.

If you wish to enter the water at Arashi, due to a large area of shallow rocks,you then need to swim out much further to then turn south to get around the rocks.

The #10 bus will get you to the areas above. The bus turns around at Arashi. Tell the bus driver where you would like to be dropped off.

MORE Boca Catalina info

Thank you this is very helpful information!

Could you tell me a bit more about where along this stretch the best spots to see both Coral and fish are

I am hoping there will be a lot of colourful healthy and interesting coral as many places I have snorkeled have excellent fish and plant variety but not the best in Coral formations.

Thank you again :)

I am hoping there will be a lot of colourful healthy and interesting coral as many places I have snorkeled have excellent fish and plant variety but not the best in Coral formations.

Thank you again :)

Just so you are not disappointed, Aruba does not have the best snorkeling (or diving) in the world. ;) If you are stopping in Curacao and/or Bonaire, their snorkeling is a good 75% better.

Now having said that, the best snorkeling is going to be south of Arashi Beach and north of Boca Catalina in the area outlined here in red. It is a lot of swimming. Since you are not heading out early morning, test the currents before you head off. Know your limits and unless you get out and walk back, if you snorkel from south to north the current is usually running with you so be prepared to kick on the way back.

Edited by Arubalisa

Below is Boca Catalina

boca_catalinaa_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

If you enter at above, Boca Catalina there is a plain white sandy bottom. On some days, early in the morning, you will be able to see your feet. Put your fins on and walk backwards into the water or walk in as far as you need, sit or get into a crouched position and put your fins on there.

The snorkeling is better at Catalina Cove below, though it is rocky which makes for a difficult entry. We normally enter the water at Boca Catalina and swim northward due to the difficult entry here at Catalina Cove pictured below.

catalina_covea_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

If you decide to try Catalina Cove, I would definitely put your fins on before entering and just walk backwards as best as you can.

If one of you has more tender feet than the other, have the tough foot wade in without fins propping up your back so you do not fall. Just know there is no way to walk on the rocks without risking a broken ankle.

You are a wonderful resource for this Island!

We are stopping in Curacao the day before we are in Aruba. So it is very good to know the difference in snorkeling, so as to set expectations correctly and not be disappointed.

Do you know very much about Curacao? this will be our first time on that Island as well. I have a tentative tour lined up with Curacao Actief. Their Wonderful World of Water Tour Last Stop is Lagun Beach. Reported to have great snorkeling.

Can you comment on that? Or if there is a better option for excellent snorkeling that day (as well as a bit of an Island tour since DH is a non swimmer and it is our first time. We like to explore a bit above the water as well as below for me.)

Just so you are not disappointed, Aruba does not have the best snorkeling (or diving) in the world. ;) If you are stopping in Curacao and/or Bonaire, their snorkeling is a good 75% better.

Now having said that, the best snorkeling is going to be south of Arashi Beach and north of Boca Catalina in the area outlined here in red. It is a lot of swimming. Since you are not heading out early morning, test the currents before you head off. Know your limits and unless you get out and walk back, if you snorkel from south to north the current is usually running with you so be prepared to kick on the way back.

From the looks of the map...we need to take note of where the Cats and other boats are , then swim to those areas once they are gone/leaving ;)

I was in Cozumel in Jan. and ended up at Money bar, which is a free beach (buy a drink or food) with good snorkeling. The tours all come there, so you just watch where they are wait for them to leave and enjoy the same thing for..the cost of a plate of nachos and a taxi ride. :D

You are a wonderful resource for this Island!

We are stopping in Curacao the day before we are in Aruba. So it is very good to know the difference in snorkeling, so as to set expectations correctly and not be disappointed.

Do you know very much about Curacao? this will be our first time on that Island as well. I have a tentative tour lined up with Curacao Actief. Their Wonderful World of Water Tour Last Stop is Lagun Beach. Reported to have great snorkeling.

Can you comment on that? Or if there is a better option for excellent snorkeling that day (as well as a bit of an Island tour since DH is a non swimmer and it is our first time. We like to explore a bit above the water as well as below for me.)

We just got back from our cruise on Thursday. We did that same tour with Curacao Actief. We had a great time. Our guide was Howard and he was awesome. So informative and just an all around great guy. The snorkeling at playa lagun was phenomenal. There is a nice beach area there that your DH can enjoy. The variety of coral as well as fish was pretty spectacular for shore snorkeling. Hope you stick with your plans for Curacao Actief I don't think you will be disappointed. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

We just got back from our cruise on Thursday. We did that same tour with Curacao Actief. We had a great time. Our guide was Howard and he was awesome. So informative and just an all around great guy. The snorkeling at playa lagun was phenomenal. There is a nice beach area there that your DH can enjoy. The variety of coral as well as fish was pretty spectacular for shore snorkeling. Hope you stick with your plans for Curacao Actief I don't think you will be disappointed. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the feedback. It helps to have confidence in our decision.