Motion Sickness/Celebrity Silhouette

mrsavoigt

I am getting a Reletex band for my husband, who can't take anything with an antihistamine which all motion sickness meds have. I've been told Reletex really works. Does anybody have experience with it?

Just from reading their website you can see it's almost certainly not going to work (any better than placebo and admittedly this is probably quite a strong placebo).

There is no medical evidence on their website, no studies, they don't even know how it's meant to work.

The closest they get to saying it works is " has been demonstrated to alleviate nausea when used as an adjunct to anti-emetics."

So we've demonstrated people feel less sick wearing our watch AND! using anti sickness drugs. oh I wonder which one of the 2 is doing the job?

It looks to me like "adjunct to anti-emetics" that line is written to not be obvious what it means to the layman.

While seasickness is of course a real thing imo alot of people who don't actually experience it give it to themselves with worry. Nerves, stress and worrying often brings about nausea. It's easy to think especially on your first cruise, what if I get sick? I could spoil the entire trip for myself and my loved ones, this makes you worry, the worrying makes you feel a little sick, now you are starting to feel sick so your worrying is coming true, which makes you worry which makes you more sick. To me I think this is why some people are ill for a few hours really early on and then get their sea legs.

If you can't take proper anti sickness medication there is nothing wrong with buying something that is probably only placebo, but don't spend too much doing it because while they "work" they are probably all worse than taking a couple of sugar pills that you think are anti sickness drugs. if there is no proper study that shows something works then for the most part it's because it doesn't work.

Gotta love those placebos -

My f-i-l is an MD and my husband a psychologist - I once told both of them that SeaBands were making my windy road driving/cruising easier and wondered if they were just a placebo to which they replied in unison - who cares? They work for you!

Absolutely if it makes you feel better , or even just more relaxed then great. Who cares what the reason is. It's amazing how the mind works and placebos are fascinating, 2 sugar pills work better than 1 sugar pill but a saline injection is even better even though they all do nothing and placebos can even work when you know they are placebo (though not as well)

That product she was inquiring about is $225 and lasts only a week, can irritate the skin and will give you a tingling sensation while you use it, so if it is just a placebo I don't feel so generous as I do towards sea bands.

I get motion sickness with visuals also. For me an inside room works best. I do not want to see the rough seas or the movement of the ship on the sea. I only go on deck when it is calm. I start taking Bonine the night before travel and continue nightly until I am home. I also have Queasy Beads which are basically prettier sea bands. Heard about them on CC and love them. My mom has vertigo and wears her sea bands daily as recommended by her MD. I also carry ginger tablets just in case. They are only needed in a bad storm on top of everything else I already do.