Bromine in swimming pools on QE2/QM2

TJL

I took my mother on a QE2 cruise last year and, although she had an absolutely wonderful time, she was unable to use either of the swimming pools or thalassotherapy pool due to the use of bromine (as opposed to chlorine) as a purifying agent in the water. Just to give you an idea, one quick dip in the pool would have resulted in an all-over, bright red and excruciatingly itchy rash lasting for several days. This leads me to ask 2 questions:

Does the (much newer) QM2 also use bromine in the water - or have they come up with something less irritating to the skin?

Has anyone else experienced a similar allergic reaction to bromine - either on the QE2 or on any other ship?

:confused:

I took several dips in the QM2 pool and noticed how "soft" the water seemed. I do not believe they use chlorine for that reason - but someone might have the definitive answer. Whatever they used, I really liked the overall feel of the water. In the U.S., a chlorine mixture is typically used to excess in public pools, which can be very hard on the skin and hair. I thought the QM2 top-level pool was a nice change.

Paul

At least from my personal hot tub experience .. Chlorine tends to be used more for swimming pools and lower water temperature uses. It tends to 'gas' at higher (hot tub) temps.

Bromine on the other hand is the newer 'chemical of choice' for home hot tubs as you fo not get the gas and smell. I had not heard of skin reaction issues one vs the other.. tho any chemical used in excess can cause issues.

My personal tub also has an ozone generator. It generates ozone as a cleaning and disinfecting agent .. and therefore I use LESS bromine in my tub. Some spas use an ultra-voliet light (lots of intensity?) as water is filtered and thus really use no chemicals.

My new swimming pool has a chlorine 'generator' system where I add salt (yes like water softener only smaller sized) to the water (100# for 4-5,000 gals water) and the filter has 'plates' that create the chlorine from the salt (NaCl). It sometimes tastes salty but chlorine is there also .. and the better choice for lower temperatures.

Cholrine is also more difficult to manage (store, move and dispense) .. so perhaps that is part of the reason.

I would think new technology would indicate ozone and light use of bromine in the hot tubs and traditional chlorine in the pools .. but not certain. Will try and ask on the 9th Aug Crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with the spa attendant and asked about bromine vs chlorine.

ALL pools, I was told, have been switched TO bromine.

The Canyon Ranch spa hyrdo-pool and hot tub were 'just recently changed'. So it appears that all chemicals are bromine.

Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to check re: bromine/chlorine.

Looks like the spa/swimming pools will have to stay out of bounds for my dear old mum whether it's QE2 or QM2!

Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to check re: bromine/chlorine.

Looks like the spa/swimming pools will have to stay out of bounds for my dear old mum whether it's QE2 or QM2!

Archived