Getaway review 4/12 - 4/19/14

SissasMomE

If possible, schedule later shows. Also, the comedians were A+ and you needed a reservation. Legally Blonde was corney, more like a local dinner theatre, but worth a visit. ImageUploadedByForums1398049016.319532.jpg.1c41476e81cb7771532afa350db49551.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If possible, schedule later shows. Also, the comedians were A+ and you needed a reservation. Legally Blonde was corney, more like a local dinner theatre, but worth a visit. [ATTACH]310119[/ATTACH]

Hi mrobstad,

My wife & I leave next Sat. on the Getaway and I was wondering if you remember the comedians names? Although, we have booked a couple of shows, I like to review any you tube videos the comics might have.

Glad you had a good trip!

By being in the Vibe, I was sheltered from kids (it was Spring break). There were 1500 teens! Loads of kids, but missed them in Vibe. Best $79 I spent on cruise! So sad to be in 50 degree NY!ImageUploadedByForums1398081841.145233.jpg.94e3a93af0c70aed4fb74d3f0bca5033.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ImageUploadedByForums1398081807.357640.jpg.9327c2cfa2cfc6d81f90ed5e3fc8e102.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1398081820.194984.jpg.a198e4ab2188e4de2deba07a9dad080b.jpg

You've said several times that you "ran out of time". That's what I keep expecting will happen with us! We are also booked for Thurs. 7:30 Legally Blonde, but more and more I keep thinking we will probably pass on that. Too many other things to do. We have also decided to pass on going for Vibe passes. I doubt I'll be seated in any one spot very often. I am already running out of time for everything I want to do, and I'm not even on the ship yet! I like reading your review though, because I think we have similar cruising styles.

You don't need the Vibe passes. Everything they do in Vibe they do on the main pool deck - chilled wash cloths, water spritzes, chilled fruit passed out, flavored and regular water passed out. Also, Vibe is tucked away in the back of the ship. Unless you're a recluse, you won't enjoy it. ;) Edited - no offense to anyone who enjoys Vibe ... it just isn't our style, that's all.

Edited by SissasMomE

Most importantly how did you feel when the ship was docking for the last time back in Miami, relieved to be back or sad to leave the ship ?

Also, did you have any problems with unruly or noisy kids?

There was never an issue with noisy or unruly kids. We sat on the main pool deck every day, and there was not one issue I can think of to write about. As stated previously, the main pool was adults only, so you did not have the noise level you would normally have in a regular ship pool, but that doesn't normally bother me anyway. Our sailing was not sold out, but I'm thinking it was close. As far as I know, it was only inside cabins that were vacant. When they offered me the additonal cabin for $200, they never gave me a choice of a balcony or an inside. Also the 2 cabins to the left of my kids' inside cabin were also vacant.

Edited by SissasMomE

Also what did your girls like more about epic than the getaway?

Both kids said they liked the layout of the Epic better. They both felt that Getaway was more "compact" than Epic. They like Spice better on the Getaway, but liked Bliss much more on the Epic. They also said Epic had better parties at night time - with the exception of the glow party. They passed out glow paint to anyone who wanted to paint their faces, body, hair, etc. That was cool, and both teens really enjoyed that.

How did your husband manage to remove the dividers?? Been trying to figure this out for a long time. Thanks in advance :)

He used the pen that was provided in the room. The door latches to the wall once open, but I don't recommend leaving it open when you're moving. If it comes loose, it will slam.

Most importantly how did you feel when the ship was docking for the last time back in Miami, relieved to be back or sad to leave the ship ?

We were tired LOL This is not a relaxing vacation - at least not the first time you sail on her. There is just so much to do. Maybe if we sail on her again it will be more relaxed, I don't know. I'm thinking it will take 2 or 3 trips to get everything in - maybe even more.

Hi mrobstad,

My wife & I leave next Sat. on the Getaway and I was wondering if you remember the comedians names? Although, we have booked a couple of shows, I like to review any you tube videos the comics might have.

Glad you had a good trip!

I can't quite remember...both were on TV in sitcoms...one was Shultz. They had one show where they all performed, and then another in Headliners where the one guy was a host and the other the comic. Both routines were A....I was surprised, at first, that you needed reservations since it was not offered before cruising. I think that was true with the Grammy harmonica player....but the regular group sans harmonica guy, Sugar something, was very good and you didn't need a reservation there...

My parents had the large balcony cabin right next door to us. My husband opened the dividers (bad husband) and we hung out there for a bit.

Was it relatively easy to open using a simple pen? Or did he need to put some muscle into it or was it tricky to unlatch?

Thanks!

Edited by ChiMimi69

Was it relatively easy to open using a simple pen? Or did he need to put some muscle into it or was it tricky to unlatch?

Thanks!

He's a firefighter - he can open anything. That's not a sarcastic response, I'm serious! I tried, and I couldn't do it.

I can't quite remember...both were on TV in sitcoms...one was Shultz. They had one show where they all performed, and then another in Headliners where the one guy was a host and the other the comic. Both routines were A....I was surprised, at first, that you needed reservations since it was not offered before cruising. I think that was true with the Grammy harmonica player....but the regular group sans harmonica guy, Sugar something, was very good and you didn't need a reservation there...

Thanks for your response. I didn't realize how many comics have the last name Shultz but I found that you must have seen Flip Shultz. Unfortunately, he leaves the GA on the 26th which is the day we embark. Oh well, I am sure we will enjoy the shows as we have signed up for 2.

We are looking forward to seeing Sugar Blue but can not seem to reserve ahead of time. Sugar Blue played the harmonica on the Rolling Stones "Miss You".

I can't believe I forgot to write about this! What a great, high energy show this was! My only complaint - it was just too long. If they knocked off the last 10 minutes or so, it would have been fabulous. Well, it was still fabulous, just got antsy at the end for it to be over with.

FYI - the coffee is HORRIBLE!!! I usually defend NCL when I see posts like this, but something has definitely changed between last year and this year. The coffee that comes out of the machines is just mud .... no exaggeration. I had to have 1/2 a cup and fill the other half with hot water. My husband, who loves strong coffee, had to do the same. It was just plain nasty! The coffee in the dining room was fine.

SissasMomE, was it you who recently became gluten free? If so, how was your first gf cruise? NCL usually does an amazing job with that.

Thanks for posting your review. I'm really surprised (happily) that the adults only pool stayed that way. I would be too nervous for little ones to be in a deep pool with waves.

Edited by BritChickBN1

SissasMomE, was it you who recently became gluten free? If so, how was your first gf cruise? NCL usually does an amazing job with that.

Thanks for posting your review. I'm really surprised (happily) that the adults only pool stayed that way. I would be too nervous for little ones to be in a deep pool with waves.

Yes - I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, so I had to go gluten free :-( Anyway, it was really, really easy on this cruise. They called me in the cabin right away and asked me to come down to the dining room to pick my dinner for the night. After that, I just picked my meals the night before. Everything was great, especially the homemade GF bread! It honestly was the best I ever had. It usually tastes like cardboard, but this didn't at all.

There were some days when we were really rocking that I'd be afraid myself to be in that pool! I can see how someone can easily hit their head accidentally.

I had rack of lamb at Le bistro and my companion paid $10 extra for a huge mound of lobster. They also had duck and filet mignonette. The cream of mushroom soup is the best I've ever eated, and my friend had onion soup au gratin. For dessert they have crime brûlée and chocolate fondue. You can order several apps and desserts, which I usually do.

At the Brazillian place, my favorite was the filet, and my two companions loved the house speciality sirloin and the chicken breast wrapped in bacon. The chorizo and linguica sausages were also yummy. At the Churassicaria, we also loved the pineapple and the fried bananas.