Very Upset.....Skagway Train....Help

Whirlwind

Bob, I hesitate to post this but.

I hold a Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) from the University of Southern California (Class of 1965)

A MAJOR problem in healthcare today is literally people like whirlwind who listen to people like hair dressers, waitresses, cab drivers, and the like, and actually change their medication routines, because some one with no medical knowledge of any kind tells them to do it. I can not even count the number of times this has happened. Sometimes with drastic results. I've had patients wind up in the ER by listening to some fool.

You will note I did not provide any suggestions of anykind. As a dedicated healthcare professional I have always made it a practice to not respond to questions without knowing everything about a patient and their medication routines. This includes family and friends.

My friends' wife who is a real estate sales woman and drives a Jaguar so she must know says that you are likely to get aspdasperous of the blowhole if you are on any medication and take the train. ( inside joke)

I totally agree with You by the way -

I just returned from the hair dresser and she advised me several of her clients thru the years have said because of the altitude on the skagway white pass yukon train ride, they have felt unable to breathe and chest compression.......is this true????she said most of these people take blodd pressure medicine.....I have already booked these for me and my husband and we both take blood pressure medicine...please respond

I just returned from Alaska and took the White Pass Yukon train and also have high blood pressure. The altitude did not effect me at all. Now if you are afraid of height than you might have a problem. The views are amazing words cannot say, the elevation when you get to the summit is 2,888 feet.

Enjoy yourself and don't let other peoples views sway you. You will have a great time.

Bob, I hesitate to post this but.

I hold a Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) from the University of Southern California (Class of 1965)

A MAJOR problem in healthcare today is literally people like whirlwind who listen to people like hair dressers, waitresses, cab drivers, and the like, and actually change their medication routines, because some one with no medical knowledge of any kind tells them to do it. I can not even count the number of times this has happened. Sometimes with drastic results. I've had patients wind up in the ER by listening to some fool.

You will note I did not provide any suggestions of anykind. As a dedicated healthcare professional I have always made it a practice to not respond to questions without knowing everything about a patient and their medication routines. This includes family and friends.

slowmotion, you are correct that people should not take ANY medical advice from anyone who is not THEIR physician (and unfortunately often do), but what you wrote was something along the lines of ...she's a hairdresser, why would you listen to anything she said...which is extremely condescending to hairdressers.

If I read the post properly SloMo listed a few examples of people that people take advice from. I don't think SloMo was taking a shot at hairdressers. There were a few other examples and I guess if you don't list all types that we shouldn't take medical advice from you are going to offend someone. It is amusing how easily offended some types of people are on this board.

If I read the post properly SloMo listed a few examples of people that people take advice from. I don't think SloMo was taking a shot at hairdressers. There were a few other examples and I guess if you don't list all types that we shouldn't take medical advice from you are going to offend someone. It is amusing how easily offended some types of people are on this board.

slomotion listed these in his second post. The first post was along the lines of she's just a hairdresser, why would you listen to her about anything, but you can check back and read it yourself.

The second post was spot on, not condescending, not offending, extremely accurate and good advice, imo.

Personally, I'm not a hairdresser, don't know any hairdressers other than the woman who does my hair (and from whom I probably would not take advice on anything other than my hair) but I did think slomotion's original post was unnecessarily and extraordinarily insulting to hairdressers.

Just returned from the WP RR excursion and I must say that although the senic view is indeed awesome it is overpriced but then again what isn't when a business has a captive group of people. BTW I checked with the

"Shoeshine Guy" at the Vancouver airport and he said not to worry about having problems . Enjoy!

Archived