Divina Thoughts

Vehorn

Just back from the Western Caribbean cruise on the Divina and my family, which included a 3-year-old grand-daughter and two teenage grandsons, had a wonderful time. Here are a few post-cruise thoughts:

We parked at Safe-Cruise and everything was fine until time to pick us up. It took over an hour to be delivered back to our car. Still saved $70 over parking at the terminal lot.

The ship is absolutely beautiful and was very clean. No sticky railing or elevators, and did not leave the ship with the flu.

The entertainment was the best I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. The shows are comparable to New York and Vegas. Live entertainment in the lounges were all outstanding. The entertainment would make the whole cruise worthwhile.

No problem with dress in the dining rooms. You see everything. I usually wore long pants and collared shirt, adding a sports coat on formal nights. I did see men in shorts, one in a baseball hat, and several in jeans. No problems, and no one turned away.

The food was good, but not exceptional. There was good variety and one of my sons, who had given up meat for lent, had no problem finding outstanding fish dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Entrees included lamb, duck (too dry), lobster, tenderloin, veal, and fowl. No complaints here. The only disappointment, and it was probably personal taste, was the soups. I expected better.

The drinks are very good and you should buy the vouchers in advance. But make sure you get written confirmation. We did have a problem with that.

The ports are all good. The kids went to the near-by beach All in Time (or something like that) in Falmouth while we took a ship excursion for $23 to Montego Bay and Rosehall shopping village. Took the Native Ways boat to swim with the stingrays in Cayman. A great choice as the boat does not carry over 25 people and includes a great lunch at Rum Point. Great bargain, there. Some went surfing in Cozumel while the rest shopped. The private island was fun, too.

The cabin (10105) was fine, but smaller than what I was used to having on other cruise ships. Balcony also a little smaller. Disappointed there was no network TV or Fox news. Had to put up with only CNN and ESPN Caribbean. Lot of soccer.

Disembarkation was fine, but an hour late because of stormy weather on arrival. No problem for kids who had a noonish flight out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Overall, it might have been the best cruise we've had. The prices were/are outstanding, the ship is beautiful, the service was wonderful, and the food and drinks outstanding and, of course, the fabulous entertainment. I met lot of cruisers from other ships who asked a lot of questions about the Divina and had considered it but "just wasn't sure" what to expect. Well, you can expect the best and you won't be disappointed. Hopefully, MSC will add a southern Caribbean cruise soon to Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts.

Thanks for the review!! I'm so glad it was a positive one!! I just wonder why people are complaining? Was the service 'different' than on other cruises ? Maybe some people consider different to be poor?

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise!

I found the service to be the same as other ships - MAYBE a bit more professional, but certainly friendly and courteous. I had no complaints about the service. Our main waiter in the dining room Ahmud, was most efficient and never lost his smile and was right-on with his recommendations when asked. Divina never asked that we consider tipping the wait staff or cabin attendant more than the gratuity fee already collected, but we did because the service was so good.

I'm curious about the Native Ways tour you took. You state that lunch was included at Rum Point but their site doesn't mention lunch being included. How did it work? Were you give a voucher or a set menu or could you have anything on the main menu??

I found the service to be the same as other ships - MAYBE a bit more professional, but certainly friendly and courteous. I had no complaints about the service. Our main waiter in the dining room Ahmud, was most efficient and never lost his smile and was right-on with his recommendations when asked. Divina never asked that we consider tipping the wait staff or cabin attendant more than the gratuity fee already collected, but we did because the service was so good.

I sure dont understand the mixed reviews then .. I guess I will wait till September and find out for myself

Thanks for the review!! I'm so glad it was a positive one!! I just wonder why people are complaining? Was the service 'different' than on other cruises ? Maybe some people consider different to be poor?

We have sailed MSC USA from Florida five times. The service was always great. But keep in mind these poor waiters and barmaids earn very little. We were told by one waiter that non-Italian staff is paid less, about $300/month. He was able to send home $80 of it to his family each month. So my question stands, what is MSC's policy on sick leave? Do staff have to keep working when sick and coughing on the food?

I notice you have asked this question in several places. Have you tried googling the answer? When I looked, I swiftly found a website for the Cruise Lines International Association, of which MSC is a member, and their policy on worker protection which included the following:

Employees are provided cruise-line sponsored medical care at no cost and sick leave to individuals that become injured or ill while working

The full text is here: http://www.cruising.org/regulatory/issues-facts/worker-protection

You might also want to look at http://cruising.org/regulatory/issues-facts/worker-protection/MLC2006.

As regards pay, remember that they have room and board provided so don't have any living expenses. I imagine their uniforms and laundry are also covered. My brother-in-law worked on a cruise ship for several years and enjoyed the fact he didn't have many bills to cover.

You might also want to look at http://cruising.org/regulatory/issues-facts/worker-protection/MLC2006.

As regards pay, remember that they have room and board provided so don't have any living expenses. I imagine their uniforms and laundry are also covered. My brother-in-law worked on a cruise ship for several years and enjoyed the fact he didn't have many bills to cover.

I would also think that 300 a month is much more than they would make in their native countries which is why they choose to work on the ship.

I know I wouldn't work for that price but I have been fortunate enough to have been born in a country where I don't have it make those types of difficult choices .

I'm curious about the Native Ways tour you took. You state that lunch was included at Rum Point but their site doesn't mention lunch being included. How did it work? Were you give a voucher or a set menu or could you have anything on the main menu??

On Native Ways website, they list different tours. The one to Stingray City, snorkel, and Rum Point includes lunch. It is $62.50. They took our orders while onboard so lunch would be ready when we got there. I think it included the full lunch menu. I had the jerk chicken wrap. My son had Cuban sandwich, and there also was a Mahi wrap, along with other selections.

Thanks for the review. We're booked for Aug with our two teenage girls. We were wondering if your grandsons used the teen club and what they thought of it.

Thanks.

They did and enjoyed using it to meet others their ages.

I sure dont understand the mixed reviews then .. I guess I will wait till September and find out for myself

Maybe the service in the Yacht Club quarters is not up to those expectations for some, but the service we received was very satisfactory.

Hi Kat- Thanks for the links, but the generic industry paid lobby answer was not what I was looking for. Perhaps MSC USA could address the recent posts regarding hundreds of sick passengers on Divina.

What is there to answer? It's flu season. People get sick. I myself am into my third week of feeling like death warmed over with a hacking cough and blocked sinuses persisting despite every effort to rest and get over it - and I haven't been near a cruise ship!

Fact 1. MSC is well known for having high standards of cleanliness and Divina is no exception to this.

Fact 2. MSC follows industry standards regarding sick leave for it's workers

Fact 3. People get sick and whether worker or holiday maker, they don't always do the responsible thing and isolate themselves when they start getting sick.

Fact 4. Anywhere you get a large group of people, especially different nationalities, in a relatively small space you will get exchange of viruses - whether it be a school, a supermarket or a ship.

Fact 5. **** happens.

I'm not being a cruise line stooge when I say that it just doesn't make sense to hold the cruise line responsible and start throwing out terms such as 'Divina the sick ship'. It makes you look like you have an axe to grind and it's just illogical. That would be like me holding my son's school responsible for the fact that they have had two chicken pox outbreaks there since it opened 20 months ago AND my youngest son keeps getting sick with colds then bringing them home to me. That's not the schools fault - it's the fault of people who send their sick kids to school because they don't want to or can't easily change their plans due to work commitments. I bet you wouldn't find one person who wakes up the day of their long awaited cruise with a sore throat and blocked nose and thinks "...hmmmm...I think I'm coming down with something nasty. I better do the responsible thing and keep myself and my germs at home"

I would that 50% of the time after a cruise I have come down with cold/sinus issue. However, this usually occurs for me after a flight also. I think when you get so many people together in closed quarters like this (dining rooms, show rooms, jet cabins) you pretty much have to realize you have a chance of catching something. I don't think it's fair to blame it on a specific ship, especially when many people are raving about the cleanliness. I actually got bronchitis on the Sun Princess to Alaska, a sinus infection on Mariner of the Seas, and got ill after our Voyager Cruise. No, I didn't blame it on the ship. Yes, I did blame it on my not being careful enough in using the hand sanitizers.

thanks Vehorn for your review....the more info the better and I like that this is concise and balanced and personal....and you give some examples to add to your review....thanks for the heads up too on the drink package and the teen club feedback....

we're sailing on Divina in October and hope to have some first timers with us, so looks like it will be a really good first cruise for them :D

Edited by ioneblair

Thanks for some positive feedback. We leave Saturday on the Divina and are keeping an open mind after all the negativity. I've been on many cruise lines and had to experience MSC first hand. Did you find it exceptionally crowded....we're hoping since this is after spring break it might not be so full. Thanks again.

We were 11/30 cruise in the Yacht club. It was by far the BEST cruise my DH and I have ever enjoyed (this was our 16th). Being in the YC was the best money we ever spent.

DH and I were met at the port by MSC rep and were taken ASAP to our point of entry to the ship which only took about 5 minutes.

The food was FABULOUS in the dining room as well as the Top Sail Lounge, The One Pool, and Room Service.

Our Butler was outstanding - his name was Nata - and he was with us thru the entire cruise, catering to our every whim and being there on a moment's notice. Nata offered to unpack for us, but I chose to do it on my own. However, every time we stepped out of our cabin, it appeared that they were watching (just kidding!!) because our room was spotless each time we returned.

Being all inclusive, we enjoyed many cocktails in the Top Sail Lounge, The One Pool Bar, our butler service and the mini bar in our stateroom. If something was missing, all we had to do was call Nata!

The food in Le Muse was second to none. We tried the buffet a couple of times for lunch and it was very good and provided a vast array of different selections. The pasta throughout the ship was to die for!

Being handicapped, DH was treated like gold and they made sure that he was included in everything that was provided on the ship. Our butler was acutely aware that DH was handicapped and went out of his way to make sure that he was accommodated.

We are now completely spoiled and will never again travel in anything else except the YC. Dollar for dollar, you cannot beat the price!! To get this type of service, one would have to go with a luxury cruise line.

ALL service staff were extremely unobtrusive (even those that we encountered in the "downtown" part of the ship. All were extremely polite and an asset to MSC.

We are already booked for 10/4 to the Eastern Caribbean - in the YC!

Edited by bltrn
misspell

Thanks for some positive feedback. We leave Saturday on the Divina and are keeping an open mind after all the negativity. I've been on many cruise lines and had to experience MSC first hand. Did you find it exceptionally crowded....we're hoping since this is after spring break it might not be so full. Thanks again.

The ship was near capacity, but I did not notice any over-crowdinesss. Like other ships, you have to get up early to get a pool chair, but others are always available. The theater fills up about 10 minutes before show time. The tenders on Cayman moved very quickly, but there was a big delay on the tenders to the private island. Get there early. I thought the embarkation and disembarkation both were very good. I think you are going to have a great time.

They want to keep the prices low!:)

So remember, the Divina 'sucks' in your next review, and we'll keep the low prices for ourselves!:D

Edited by American Bear

Hi Kat- Thanks for the links, but the generic industry paid lobby answer was not what I was looking for. Perhaps MSC USA could address the recent posts regarding hundreds of sick passengers on Divina.

Hundreds? Hmmm, haven't heard about that. Flu season maybe affected a couple people. I took my flu in mid March. Disembarked the Divina April 19th and feel great! Actually, getting ready to book another cruise on her for the fall. I do though, hope you start feeling better!!!