Avis car rental and tour of island

jlx2

We will be arriving in Grand Cayman at 8AM (ship time)and would like to be back on the shil at 3:00(ship time). We are travelling in November and I can't remember if GC is and hour ahead or behind. We would like to rent a car from Avis and see the following sights. The Turtle Farm (I just love turtles!), and Rum Point beach. From what I have read on these boards there is a restaurant at Rum Point beach. How is the food and what are the prices like? Is there a web site for the restaurant? How is the snorkeling there and how far is it from the turtle farm? Are there any other sights you would recommend seeing while we have a car? Do you think we can do both things and have enough time? (We did stingray city last time and loved it.) Thank you in advance for your replies. :)

We will be arriving in Grand Cayman at 8AM (ship time)and would like to be back on the shil at 3:00(ship time). We are travelling in November and I can't remember if GC is and hour ahead or behind. We would like to rent a car from Avis and see the following sights. The Turtle Farm (I just love turtles!), and Rum Point beach. From what I have read on these boards there is a restaurant at Rum Point beach. How is the food and what are the prices like? Is there a web site for the restaurant? How is the snorkeling there and how far is it from the turtle farm? Are there any other sights you would recommend seeing while we have a car? Do you think we can do both things and have enough time? (We did stingray city last time and loved it.) Thank you in advance for your replies. :)

Hi jlx2,

You might want to read my thread "Rum Point-don't miss it". Avis is great to rent a car from, you will be very pleased. Don't worry about whether GC is an hour ahead or behind because you will always be on ship time. At that time of year, it will depend on where your ship left from and whether that port recognizes daylight savings time.

Rum Point and the Turtle Farm are on opposite ends of the island. Here is a link to a good map of GC

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/gcmap.shtml

Turtle Farm is up in the northern part of the island, to get to Rum Point you actually head into the middle part of the island and then along the coast. To give you an idea of traveling time, from the Avis office (near the airport) to Rum Point is about a 45 min drive. So, if you went to the Turtle FArm first, then to Rum Point, you wouldn't have much time to enjoy Rum Point at all. It is a very scenic drive out to Rum Point.

There is a bar/restaurant at Rum Point called The Wreck. It is an outdoor, very casual restaurant. They have hearty sandwiches, burgers, etc. I had a grilled chicken sandwich, which quite frankly,was almost the best meal I had during the whole cruise. For our family of 4, lunch (chix sandwich, big hamburger for my husband, hot dogs for kids, a couple of beers, a froo froo drink for me) ran us about $50 with a tip. It was reasonably priced.

There is a lot of info about Rum Point on my other thread, so I'm not going to repeat it here. Please feel free to email me at my personal email and I'd be happy to send you some pics or answer any other questions.

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

I think it would be hard to go from one end of the island to the other and not feel rushed. I've heard the Turtle Farm is really great, but the other attraction in that direction is Hell, which I've heard is a waste of time. Rum Point is a very relaxing day, you can either take the short cut through the middle of the island then along the coast, or the long way all along the coastline. We took the short cut because we wanted to have plenty of time at Rum Point.

Hope this helps.

Michelle

Archived