Child traveling with one parent

My kids (same last name as me) now 13 and 11 have traveled with me on all our RCI cruises without their father (we are divorced) and I have only ever had to show their passports. No one has ever asked me for a letter or any other proof of identification.

I have never been asked for documentation, but I always have it with me (I take everything that RCI recommends on their website) because it is a small amount of time to prepare all of it ahead of time to prevent anything at check in or at customs. Better safe than sorry!

I took my daughter on a 3 day Majesty cruise. She was 13. At check-in, we were asked for : her birth certificate, my passport, my divorce decree, and the notorized letter. I had everything, but the letter. After a 20-30 minute conference between the check in lady and her supervisor, we were finally allowed to board.

I took my daughter on a 3 day Majesty cruise. She was 13. At check-in, we were asked for : her birth certificate, my passport, my divorce decree, and the notorized letter. I had everything, but the letter. After a 20-30 minute conference between the check in lady and her supervisor, we were finally allowed to board.

This is why it is SO important to always have the info! They may not ask for it 90% of the time, but they DO ask for it.

I'm glad you had all the paperwork.

Another piece of advice - in the notorized letter I always have my ex (or dh depending on which kid we're talking about ) put phone numbers that they can be reached at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With regards to your question I am somewhat intrigued as I have sailed several times with dd (on a passport) by myself without DH as he has been unable to get the time off work. I have never been asked for anything:confused:

Dd has both mine and DH last names, so doesn't match mine exactly. Let me know what you find out.

I'm curious as well. I traveled alone with my kids when my husband couldn't get off work and I wasn't asked for anything - nor have I ever seen anything to indicate that it was a requirement.

My sister and I are taking my neice (her daughter) on a cruise next month. We aren't anticipating that we'll need anything so if someone hears differently please post!