Nola help?!?

megb123

I am leaving on a cruise from Nola in August. We are flying in the day before and are due to arrive at noon. Was wondering if anyone can help give me things to do there? Also inexpensive dining, I'm not a big seafood person but my brother is. Also we are ataying at the crowne plaza in the French quarter, what is the best way to get to the port? If taxi how much would that be around there are 4 of us. Also I read tht we can't check soda in with our bags is that still true?

I am leaving on a cruise from Nola in August. We are flying in the day before and are due to arrive at noon. Was wondering if anyone can help give me things to do there? Also inexpensive dining, I'm not a big seafood person but my brother is. Also we are ataying at the crowne plaza in the French quarter, what is the best way to get to the port? If taxi how much would that be around there are 4 of us. Also I read tht we can't check soda in with our bags is that still true?

Wow, that's alot of questions in a short space!

1. You will not need us to give you things to do, there is so much that happens in NOLA that you just have to walk down the street to find something to do. That is a serious comment, not snarky or anything.

2. Food is EVERYWHERE and most of it is cheap! "The grill", Deanies, Johnny's Poboys, Cafe Amelie, Court of two sisters, Dragos -- all good choices.

3. Taxi -- $7pp to the port one way.

4. I think most cruise lines require you to carry on soda and water. We usually put it in a carry-on sized suitcase.

Previous advice about dining is right on. Taxi is about $7-9 for two, if they can fit your luggage a few bucks more for the other two guests. I think a taxi will not be able to fit four and luggage so two taxi's would be best.

New Orleans and Tampa are the two main ports that will not let you check soda and water. Carry it on or get a bag/suitcase just for the soda. It's the dock workers that are the problem not the cruise lines.

Have a blast, we sail from NO every year even when there are closer choices.

Previous advice about dining is right on. Taxi is about $7-9 for two, if they can fit your luggage a few bucks more for the other two guests. I think a taxi will not be able to fit four and luggage so two taxi's would be best.

New Orleans and Tampa are the two main ports that will not let you check soda and water. Carry it on or get a bag/suitcase just for the soda. It's the dock workers that are the problem not the cruise lines.

Have a blast, we sail from NO every year even when there are closer choices.

From what I've seen after reading hundreds of reviews, there are no other port cities that are a destination by themselves. Every review I read has folks flying into Miami, Jacksonville, Houston, Tampa, just to be there the night before the cruise just in case. Quite a few of the reviews from NOLA have folks that make two vacations out of one, which is our preference. Friends and family living there and my personal history down there just make it that much more enjoyable.

I love that we can go on a 7 night cruise and spend 3 nights in New Orleans, and feel like we actually did two vacations in one!

We are one of those that plan on making our cruise out of NO two vacations. we arrive 3 days early just to experience this city. Even with 3 days there is so much we will not be able to do. Food, a few drinks and touring some the historic sites is on the list. The remaining 7 days are the cruise and we are really looking forward to the trip on the Mississippi. Enjoy :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
From what I've seen after reading hundreds of reviews, there are no other port cities that are a destination by themselves. Every review I read has folks flying into Miami, Jacksonville, Houston, Tampa, just to be there the night before the cruise just in case. Quite a few of the reviews from NOLA have folks that make two vacations out of one, which is our preference. Friends and family living there and my personal history down there just make it that much more enjoyable.

I love that we can go on a 7 night cruise and spend 3 nights in New Orleans, and feel like we actually did two vacations in one!

We feel the same way! We drive from South Dakota and stay for 3 nights, then cruise. I could stay in NOLA and let my husband do the cruise by himself. Seriously. I love NOLA!

We feel the same way! We drive from South Dakota and stay for 3 nights, then cruise. I could stay in NOLA and let my husband do the cruise by himself. Seriously. I love NOLA!

I like NOLA too, but we LOVE South Dakota!

We could visit Custer State Park every year. Oldest son and his wife want us to plan another trip there. We usually do the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, then to Custer State Park. We try not to tell everyone how great it is because we think it is a Best kept secret how much one can do there! ;)

I like NOLA too, but we LOVE South Dakota!

We could visit Custer State Park every year. Oldest son and his wife want us to plan another trip there. We usually do the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, then to Custer State Park. We try not to tell everyone how great it is because we think it is a Best kept secret how much one can do there! ;)

We're on the opposite side of the state in Sioux Falls. :)

we are on the same cruise and although I cant wait I am having to keep the secret... Our son turns 16 on Aug. 25th we are telling him we are going to Nola for vacation and then after spending the night we will take a tour that ends at the cruise terminal but it is so hard not to include him in the planning.. each day we get closer it gets harder... I am glad you asked the ?'s because I was looking for info as well. we will arrive around noon on Saturday as well