Barcelona Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell

On October 24th I will be in Barcelona and plan to go to Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell by metro. I understand it is a 20 minute up hill walk from the metro to Parc Guell, can anyone confirm this? How much walking is required in the Park to see everything? What is there to see?

Is it worth going in Sagrada Familia or to just view the outside?

Where do I buy the metro ticket (I am planning to get the T10 ticket option)?

On October 24th I will be in Barcelona and plan to go to Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell by metro. I understand it is a 20 minute up hill walk from the metro to Parc Guell, can anyone confirm this? How much walking is required in the Park to see everything? What is there to see?

Is it worth going in Sagrada Familia or to just view the outside?

Where do I buy the metro ticket (I am planning to get the T10 ticket option)?

Both of these are do not miss IMHO especially Parc Guell.It is up the hill( I took a cab there and was dropped off at the entrance so can't tell you how much of a hike it is).Once you are in the park there is so much to see...the beches up on top,Gaudi's house,the lizard,and so much more.There is not that much walking to see it all,but a fair amount,but all enjoyable.

I have seen the Sagrada a few times,but have never been inside of it..just the outside from all angles was enough for me,and one time when I was there the entrance was closed..next trip...so yes, the outside is worth it.

You can buy a carnet of tickets in the metro station.

Have a great visit..there is so much to see as well as the Gaudi designs.

It's worth going to both Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. We took the tourist bus so we got dropped off at the bottom of the hill for Park Guell. It was quite a walk up to the park and it was all up hill but worth every minute of it. I don't know if it was a 20 minute walk but it did take some time. The good thing was there were shops all along the street so you can break it up and go into a couple shops and look around. We stopped at a little store right before the park and rested and got something to drink and then we went inside the park. Park Guell is so neat, you have to walk around the whole thing to see everything and the walking isn't bad because you're looking at all the different things there so you don't really notice it. At the park you have to see the famous lizard and definitely go up to the top platform and see the benches that go all around a great view of the city.

Sagrada Familia is awesome, definitely make time to see this. We didn't go inside but we saw a lot from the outside. We spent a long time there just walking around and checking out each angle, make sure you walk around the whole thing. The front is incredible with all the detail and the back is just as neat. It was one of my highlights...I took way too many pictures of it but it's just so different from what we have around here. Enjoy your trip!!

I totally disagree that just seeing the outside of the Sagrada Familia is enough. If you aren't walking the whole thing you are missing a lot. We rented the walking audio guides and they were wonderful, I learned so much. The museum inside is awesome....learning what was going on in the mind of this man explains so much of what you see. Plus, there is no way you could understand most of the artwork without being told what's going on. There is much representation going on in his work, with hiden puzzles and meanings.

As for Park Guell, we also took a cab and they let us off at the entrance. The park is quite a ways out from the Sagrada Familia, so I would think a bus ride would be pretty long. The park is fabulous, and we walked around it for quite a long time. We were with someone who has health problems, so we didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. There are lots of spots to stop and sit and enjoy the surroundings....usually with musicians who are scattered around the park playing music for added atmosphere.

Don't miss the Gothic Church that is just a few blocks off of Las Ramblas....it's about the most remarkable church I have ever seen. I swear it felt like a vampire was going to wander out at any time. :) It was well worth the walk there, which was only a few blocks from Las Ramblas.

I would love to visit Barcelona again, it's beautiful city with a lot to see.

The compromise between the Metro and a taxi would be to take the bus...

I believe it is the #21 bus that goes from Placa Catalunya, straight up Passieg de Gracia which has a stop right by the Eastern entrance to Park Guell--right near Gaudi's house...no uphill walk required...and the bus ride is dirt cheap...

DO NOT MISS either the Sagrada Familia or Park Guell...

Yes, if you have the time, the inside (what there is of it--remember it's still under construction and long from complete) of the Sagrada Familia is worth seeing...but, if strapped for time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with merely admiring it from outside--but be very careful to walk completely around it...every facade is totally different...heck, every angle is different...

Also, check out Casa Mila and Casa Batllo, both on Passieg de Gracia...

Have fun...

We just came back from a cruise on Splendour and spent several days in Barcelona. I would also recommend the Bari gothic. the Cathedral is wonderful and when you are inside and working your way back to the entrance, look for a small enclave behind a fence. There is a small sign stating 2 euros for the Elevator. It will take you to the Roof and the views are spectacular. You can see the Sagrada Familia and we even saw our cruise ship. There are walkways and yes railings so no one goes where they shouldn't.

Also, in the Barri Gothic is the History museum on the backside of the cathedral. (leave the front of the cathedral, walk up the ramp on the side and I believe it is the first turn on your left and follow to the museum of history)

Why do you want to go there?

inside for 4 euros under the museum, is the original walls of the Baricino city which was the start of Barcelona. It is all excavated. it is like a city within a city. We spent over 2 hrs there. The original roman road is there and still had the marks of the cartwheels in it.

they have a plexiglass walk way over part of it and you could walk like you were on the roman road.

My family was absolutely fascinated with it and it comes highly recommended by Fodors.

2 1/2 days in Barcelona before the tour was just not enough.

We did dinner in Barcelonetta the first night (thursday)

and then dinner in Port Olympic at El Cangrejo Loco. Food was top notch and the view was fabulous of the port and be sure to ask for Billie to be your waiter. He was top notch and spoke fantastic english.

I would go back and spend a week or more in Barcelona. What a great time.

Looking at the route map of bus 24 it looks like you have to come out of the metro station and cross the road to catch the bus. Is this what you remember? Also will it be obvious when I reach the main Parc Guell entrance, or will the bus stop at different points of the Park?

Looking at the route map of bus 24 it looks like you have to come out of the metro station and cross the road to catch the bus. Is this what you remember? Also will it be obvious when I reach the main Parc Guell entrance, or will the bus stop at different points of the Park?

Yeah...I wrote #21...but I guess I meant #24...it's been awhile...

We actually caught the bus on Passieg de Gracia near the Casa Mila, along the right curb as you face north (signs at bus benches with route information are pretty clearly marked)...As I recall, we asked the driver to let us know where to get off for the Park Guell...it was not very obvious...But, we also could tell it was coming up because we had our copy of the AAA Spiral Guide - Barcelona with us...(Great maps)...If I hadn't mentioned it before, let me do so now: I strongly recommend you purchase a copy of this guide (costs about $13.50 at AAA offices, a little over $10 on the internet)...It has great maps and suggested walking tours and is very easy to use...

Good luck...

Archived