Skagway: Things to do

OfTheSeasCruiser

We are on a northbound Alaska cruise this May/June. We have excursions booked in Ketchikan, Icy Strait, and Juneau, however we didn't book anything in Skagway. Does anyone know if there are tour buses/taxis at the port as you get off the ship that can just do nice tours around the area, to the summit, etc.? Anything other fun things we can just do as we get off the ship?

Take a ride on the White Pass Scenic Railway to the scenic White Pass Summit.

The White Pass and Yukon Route is a narrow gauge railroad linking the port of Skagway, Alaska, with Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon. The unforgettable journey on the White Pass Scenic Railway is not just another train ride; built through rugged terrain, the route passes through tunnels and valleys en route to the scenic White Pass Summit.

The railroad began construction in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush as a means of reaching the goldfields. With its completion in 1900, it became the primary route to the interior of the Yukon, supplanting the Chilkoot Trail and other routes. The route continued operation until 1982, and in 1988 was partially revived as a heritage railway.

Have you checked with Tripadvisor, the sister website to Cruise Critic? Here's a link to their Skagway page:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60877-Activities-c25-Skagway_Alaska.html

I would recommend booking a tour service before your arrival, if that's your interest. Chilkoot Tours comes well-recommended here; however, I've never used their services so can't speak from personal experience. We have, however, used Beyond Skagway Tours. They are not cheap, but offer excellent service:

http://www.beyondskagwaytours.com/

Many folks also rent a car and do the driving themselves, and use Murray's Guide. You'll need to do your own internet search on that one, but just type in Murray's Guide Skagway.

I have also done a walking tour of "downtown" Skagway with a park service ranger, which I highly recommend:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/index.htm

You most likely won't need a shuttle; it's a tiny port and the ships are "right there."

If it's your first time to visit Skagway, taking the train ride is a "must." You will learn lots of history plus see much beauty.

Be sure to visit (free) the National Park building. It's the first one you come to and it used to be the train station. There's a very short movie there telling about the Gold Miners, etc. There's also a small museum and they provide information.

It's a fun port.............this is where the Chilkoot Trail began (for those seeking gold).

I would recommend booking a tour service before your arrival, if that's your interest. Chilkoot Tours comes well-recommended here; however, I've never used their services so can't speak from personal experience. We have, however, used Beyond Skagway Tours. They are not cheap, but offer excellent service:

http://www.beyondskagwaytours.com/

So excited you liked Beyond Skagway! We have an 8 hour tour booked with Becky when we go in June. I have high hopes for a great day. So far, in the communication and planning stage, it HAS been excellent service. She's tailored a day to exactly what my family wanted to do and made some great suggestions. Can't wait to see how it all works out!

So excited you liked Beyond Skagway! We have an 8 hour tour booked with Becky when we go in June. I have high hopes for a great day. So far, in the communication and planning stage, it HAS been excellent service. She's tailored a day to exactly what my family wanted to do and made some great suggestions. Can't wait to see how it all works out!

You will have a great day with Becky:) We plan on using her services again this summer when we're in Skagway.