Upgrades to better rooms

I'm on you sailing. I got my assignment sometime today while I was out. No upgrade (wasn't expecting one) but I'm happy with the location. Near the elevators and looks like it'll be quiet. Maybe some bow thruster noise when we arrive back in NYC. I'll be awake and out the other times the ship will use them.

We are wayyyyyyyy at the front of the ship so we're far from stairs and elevators, which isn't the end of the world because it will make us walk more. Then we can eat more! ;)

Yeah, that was the first place I checked. No email there unless you are the one sending me emails about increasing my "size and stamina!" :eek:

Not sure why I'm not getting them at my Yahoo email. Try this: wrheck@tampabay.rr.com Guaranteed to work!

Just resent - funny it is a Hotmail acct and when my work emails don't go through (law office so it gets blocked all the time;)) my personal email always goes through. Hope this worked for you!

I appreciate the advice in this thread. Unfortunately it didn't work out for us. The Spirit sails next Monday so maybe we asked too late. The best our TA could offer was an upgrade from our Inside staterooms to an Oceanview for $120 per person. We'll probably take it, but I was kind of hoping for a free balcony like so many people here have stated.

The Spirit is a pretty small ship and apparently it is pretty full.

Don't be too disappointed, sometimes a low cost upgrade is also a good deal. We once upgraded from a balcony to mini suite for under $200. Since we had 3 adults in the cabin it turned out to be a bargain. Many factors go into a decision - from that first booking to final cabin selection. We you step onto the ship it will be just right, enjoy!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

I remembered saving this from a CC post long ago that someone else much more mathematically inclined than myself came up with for determining when is an upsale is a bargain - here is what he figured out:

"Typically within a week before your cruise, although I have read reports on Cruise Critic of Upsale calls being received 2 weeks or so before a cruise. We received a call this past November for an Upsale to a GV on the Pearl and got the call on the Monday before our cruise.

If you get a call a common rule used to determine if you're getting a good deal is to subtract what you have paid for your currently booked room from the current asking price by NCL (as shown on the website) for the room your being called about. You then multiply the difference by 40%. If the amount being asked by NCL for the Upsale is at or below 40% then you are getting a good deal. We used this same formula and calculated that we were paying 29% of the difference between the two AD's we had booked on our cruise and what NCL was asking for the GV. We got a good deal.

Asking Price of the Higher Cost Room

(-) What You Have Paid for Your Current Room

Difference in Cost

(x) 40%

Equals the Max Amount You Should Pay for the Upsale

I haven't had a chance to use it, but you never know:)

• 3 weeks later...
Don't be too disappointed, sometimes a low cost upgrade is also a good deal. We once upgraded from a balcony to mini suite for under $200. Since we had 3 adults in the cabin it turned out to be a bargain. Many factors go into a decision - from that first booking to final cabin selection. We you step onto the ship it will be just right, enjoy!

Boy, how right you were! Turned out the upgrade was for a porthole window GTY, and when we arrived to check in, both of our cabins had been upgraded to balcony cabins on deck 10! We had a great time.

There were some hiccups (one of our cabins experienced some odd engine exhaust smells during certain times) but in the end the NCL staff took care of us. Because of the smell, one of our cabins was temporarily reassigned for one night -- to a porthole window cabin on deck 4. So for one night we got to experience what we would have received.

Let's just say... It was definitely $120 well spent!