Valor Review (7/17-7/24) Eastern

CaribbeanKim

I have returned home from our wonderful cruise, and have even managed to unpack everything!! I have just posted my Review for the Valor (Eastern Itinerary) and would be happy to answer any questions, if I can. I hope to have pictures available soon also. (In case you sailed with us...we were the family that brought "the Gnome"... My husband took approx 200 pictures of passengers with "Gnomeo")

Here's the link to my Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12060

Already starting to plan the next one..........

I have returned home from our wonderful cruise, and have even managed to unpack everything!! I have just posted my Review for the Valor (Eastern Itinerary) and would be happy to answer any questions, if I can. I hope to have pictures available soon also. (In case you sailed with us...we were the family that brought "the Gnome"... My husband took approx 200 pictures of passengers with "Gnomeo")

Here's the link to my Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12060

Already starting to plan the next one..........

Thank you for the detailed review! I will be sailing her next month (Eastern also) and am glad to see you had such a good time.

Caribbeankim, you are a positive person and you can tell it from your review. If you look hard for negatives, you will find them on any cruise but the good sure exceeds the bad.

We did the May 8 Valor cruise and give your remarks a firm "Ditto". We are now booked on our 8th cruise on the Liberty (sister ship) so that tells you we also liked our cruise and that class of ship.

we did Valor/Eastern 5/22 and I'm always frustrated that there seems to be almost NO ONE that comes back from that route with a review! I agree with richfret...my review is almost EXACTLY the same as yours (OK, minus the "Gnomeo" adventures and the snafu with your S&S cards, ;) ).

so glad you had a great trip! and actually, I did gripe to Carnival about both the embarkation and debarkation, here's what they said. Regarding all of the chairs upstairs in the terminal, "Since 9/11, we have to keep an eye on people."...um, OK...so everyone has passed security all ready, doesn't necessarily mean, to me, that you need to keep a LITERAL eye on everyone...post some security at all the entrances and exits and let everyone SIT DOWN, for crying out loud.

Regarding the group of people (who apparently share a brain) in charge of debarkation, I suggested the same thing, that ALL of the cruiselines that sailed out of Miami try to influece the city, reminding them how many tourist $ they are solely responsible for bringing in. And ask them not so subtley to get their acts together and improve the stupid debarkation procedures/processes.

I did gripe to Carnival about both the embarkation and debarkation, here's what they said. Regarding all of the chairs upstairs in the terminal, "Since 9/11, we have to keep an eye on people."...um, OK...so everyone has passed security all ready, doesn't necessarily mean, to me, that you need to keep a LITERAL eye on everyone...post some security at all the entrances and exits and let everyone SIT DOWN, for crying out loud.

Regarding the group of people (who apparently share a brain) in charge of debarkation, I suggested the same thing, that ALL of the cruiselines that sailed out of Miami try to influece the city, reminding them how many tourist $ they are solely responsible for bringing in. And ask them not so subtley to get their acts together and improve the stupid debarkation procedures/processes.

Mama~

ROFL...You are so right! There has to be a better way to "traffic" 3500 people through that Terminal!! I have sailed out of Cape Canaveral before, and Embarkation & Debarkation was really well planned and efficient. Back in the 70's, I sailed out of Miami a couple of times, and ...at that time, they WERE using the upstairs portion of the Terminal. It seemed to me that we boarded much quicker back then too.

I am in the process of writing my own letter to Carnival. I believe in the power of "the many"...if we ALL write (with the same major complaint) then, they HAVE to listen. I am a Carnival stockholder as well, so maybe something could be brought up in a meeting........

Kim, did you take an excursion to Divi Bay or can you go on your own? Your review was great. Thanks for taking the time. Will you be posting any pictures? Curious to see Gnomeo.:)

Gypsy~

No, we didn't go to Divi on an excursion. Carnival charges $40 pp for the excursion...whereas, you can catch a taxi (there's a taxi stand just to the right, and slightly behind the Tourist Center -- right there at the end of the pier) which only costs $4 pp. Once you get to Divi (about 5 - 10 minutes away), the use of the beach itself is free. If you want to rent a chair &/or umbrella...I believe they are available for $5 each. There's a lady that braids hair (for the usual $2 per braid), and there are vendors that walk up and down the beach, selling necklaces, sarongs, etc. They won't bother you either, like in the Bahamas, Jamaica, etc. Tiki huts are located right there on the beach, where you can buy sodas, beer and frozen/mixed drinks (prices are about the same as they are on the ship). They have crab races and volley ball games...and rent various watercraft. Try the BBQ lunch that they serve...we didn't get it (this time), but it smelled delicious!! (We opted to go back to the ship, and eat for free though - it depends on your budget)

I hope to be posting pictures in the near future. We had great fun with "Gnomeo". It turned out to be a wonderful way to meet new people and have some fun at the same time!!

Thank you for the detailed review! I will be sailing her next month (Eastern also) and am glad to see you had such a good time.

I am so-o-o-o envious of you!! My body may be stateside...but my heart and mind are in the Caribbean!! You will have a great time, I'm sure!! Take lots of pictures and write your review for us when you get back!!

Very nice review Kim.

I think that once Carnival gets moved to their new terminals in Miami the embarkation process will speed up. The new terminals look huge with plenty of space.

The one thing that I wish they would change is how you check in. On RCI you check in by decks and you receive you Sea Pass card when you check in so it makes for less lines and the check in time is quicker.

Again thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Thanks for the review! Was the new bedding installed yet? I cannot wait to see some pictures, we leave August 28.

I'm not sure that the mattresses are new...in all likelihood they are, since the ship is new...but they have replaced those hideous bedspreads with white duvets and 4 plump pillows to cradle you to sleep (as if the ocean wasn't enough) Other than that, the cabin appears to be the same as previous ships I've been on. My husband and I thought that the mattress was quite comfortable, although others may disagree. I simply refuse to spend that kind of money and let anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) interfere with having a wonderful time!! ha ha ha

hi caribeankim, you mentioned your cabin was 1027, we are sailing in a couple of weeks and we've been assigned 1026, what did you think of the location? Ive heard the higher you are the more movement you will feel, did you find this to be true?

Thanks

Bonnie

hi caribeankim, you mentioned your cabin was 1027, we are sailing in a couple of weeks and we've been assigned 1026, what did you think of the location? Ive heard the higher you are the more movement you will feel, did you find this to be true?

Thanks

Bonnie

Odd number cabins are on the port side & even numbers are on the starboard...other than that, there's no difference in the location of our cabins. I, personally, LOVED the location! We just had to walk down the hall to go out on deck (either direction!! One way to bow of ship, and the other way to go out to the pools, Rosie's, etc).

When it comes to feeling the movement of the ship...I guess that's a personal preference type of thing, and everyone will have various degrees of what they consider unpleasant. I guess it may be true that the higher up you are, the more you will feel...I personally LOVE to feel a little sway, feel the rise and fall as we crest a swell, and sit on the balcony - taking in the fresh, salt air. I sailed the Eastern itinerary, in between Hurricane Emily & T.S. Franklin...and we didn't experience any unpleasant weather except for a few fleeting rains (mostly during the night). The seas were (what I would call) extremely calm...maybe 4 ft. swells. I like it when the swells are up to 7 ft., but have not experienced anything over that in recent years. Are you sailing eastern or western? The last time I sailed western was 3 years ago, and the seas were between 4 - 7 then...very nice. Today's ships are built so well, with stabilizers, etc...

If you are uncomfotable, you can always go to the Purser's Desk, and they can help you out...but I don't think you'll need it. Have a great trip!!

Very nice review Kim.

I think that once Carnival gets moved to their new terminals in Miami the embarkation process will speed up. The new terminals look huge with plenty of space.

The one thing that I wish they would change is how you check in. On RCI you check in by decks and you receive you Sea Pass card when you check in so it makes for less lines and the check in time is quicker.

Again thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I am so glad to hear that they are getting a new Terminal...where is it going to be located? I would sail out of Miami more often, if the current problems were rectified!

Checking in by decks is one option...but why can't they mail you the S & S cards when they mail you your docs? That would eliminate one whole step in the long process of boarding. It would be so much easier if all we had to do was...1) go through security 2) Register (Show proof of citizenship, etc) 3) take our boarding photos and board the ship. I'd be willing to bet we could start a whole new thread on this topic alone, so I'll quit here!! ha ha ha

I'm not sure that the mattresses are new...in all likelihood they are, since the ship is new...but they have replaced those hideous bedspreads with white duvets and 4 plump pillows to cradle you to sleep (as if the ocean wasn't enough) Other than that, the cabin appears to be the same as previous ships I've been on. My husband and I thought that the mattress was quite comfortable, although others may disagree. I simply refuse to spend that kind of money and let anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) interfere with having a wonderful time!! ha ha ha

Thanks, and thanks for posting the pictures.

Great review Kim.

We will be on the Valor Oct 23, Eastern Itineray. I was wondering if the ship time is the same as the port time.

Yes, the Valor DOES NOT set it's clocks back for the eastern run (I am not sure about the western run though - I heard that they set the clocks BACK an hour). Ship time is the same as it is in every port. Just remember that if the ship is scheduled to sail at 5 pm, you will be expected to be back onboard by 4:30 (the ship sounds its horns, signaling "last call")

Archived