What would you have wanted to know prior to your 1st cruise?

nrthrngal

wish i had known that it would be My Mum's and I first and last cruise together she died shortly after:(

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. What fond memories you must have of the cruise and the quality time you spent together.

Harriet

Our first cruise was on the Jade and the both of us wish we knew about about the gratuities. I thought one had pre-paid them but I was wrong when I got the bill at the end of the cruise. I did not make that mistake on our second cruise.

I also wish I knew more about gratuities on my first cruise back in the 90's. I thought you gave the tip to the cabin steward the day you disembarked, so I left for dinner, not leaving the envelope with the tip on the bed, and came back to my cabin only to find I had no towels and no pillows. I never made that mistake again!! Thank goodness, I can pre-pay the DSC on NCL.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I wish I had

- packed less clothes, saved more space for souvenirs

- realized that every time there is food in front of me, I do NOT have to eat it

- realized I did not have to do every single activity on board. I was so afraid I was going to miss something amazing.....I wore myself out doing everything but relaxing

- known to book my own excursions, and there are far more possibilities out there than what the cruise line offers

- how bad cruise envy is - waiting to decide where to go next - but envious of everyone already booked

But - do not try to eat everything on the ship the first day. Your digestive system will need to adjust - belly ache on board is not welcome (take indigestion tablets with you).

Take half the clothes and twice the money.

Pack a sense of humour.

Expect small glitches and go with the flow.

If in doubt - ask - the staff are there to try to give you the best holiday possible and are always willing to help.

I try to bring it with me everywhere ;) We're going to roll with whatever happens I never expect perfection, seems easier to me to look for the bright side of whatever situation it is...

I will definitely put some clothes back in the closet now that so many have said the same thing...thank you!

Pack these things too:

Seasick meds: I pop one the morning of the cruise just in case. Get the non-drowsy and you are good to go!

Travel mug: If you love coffee, the small mugs just don’t give you enough volume.

Thank you cards: If you plan on leaving an extra tip to your room steward or your favorite bartender.....bring one of those cheap packs of thank you cards, write a personal thank-you / job well done - note inside and include your tip, and have the family or group you were with all sign it.

Flash light: Inside cabins are as dark as a tomb.

"Squid" power strip and/or extension cord since there aren't many outlets in a stateroom.

One dollar bills for tipping; comes in handy on excursions, at the pier, etc.

Zip lock bags of assorted sizes – for a snack on excursions, keeping things dry/sand less for water day, etc

Post-it notes: Ship’s version of a text message to your companions for where you will be or a note to the room steward for more ice, towels, etc.

Highlighter for the dailies.

Insect repellant – sand fleas, mosquitoes for jungle trips, etc.

Preaddressed labels for postcards- you will be more apt to send if this task is already done!

Other tips:

Cabin Mini Bars/Safes: If you choose to store your own items in the mini bar leave a note or tell your cabin steward. If you just take the items out and hide them somewhere you will get charged. It's a pain to have to come wait in the credit desk line for something minor just like that. Even just tape a note on the door.

Credit Card Issues: People have their credit cards declined. This is just because they didn't tell the company they were traveling so when the first charge showed up the card was locked. Save yourself the time and embarrassment and let your bank know.

Don’t over pack! Nobody cares that you are doubling up on a shirt/dress some nights. There is a $20-25 laundry bag special. The bag is not huge of course, but is definitely of decent size. Put whatever you want in it (they will all be wet washed, no dry-clean only). The bag will be returned to you the next day. They will offer this special at least a couple times on a 7 day run, more on the longer cruises. (A hint for this! Don't just mush stuff into the bag loose. Roll items as tightly as you can and pack them in layers in the bag. You'll be astonished!)

First sea day is traditionally a formal night. I've found that NCL often has two 'Dress up or not' nights. I think most people think of the first one as the 'official' dress up night, but I'm pretty sure you have more than one opportunity. I generally dress for dinner every night and take one formal for the first 'dress up or not' night.

I wish we had known how much we would love it! We would have started cruising years earlier! :D

I absolutely agree with you. We were both 50 years old when we went on our first cruise. We did not think we would care for being on the ship, but we ended up loving the seas days even more than the port days! We still say it is the most relaxing vacation we have ever had, after 30 years of going to WDW in a row!:eek:

My tip would be to bring a watch. We shut off our phones, so we do not incur charges AND to shut off the "work-world". You do not realize how much you rely on the phone to find out the time.

Another thing is if you care to do a spa treatment, the choices are sometimes cheaper on a port day. We have taken advantage of this several times.

We like to get to the port early for initial embarkation. We have been fortunate to be in the first groups called onto the ship, and head directly to the main dining room for our first lunch!

Don't sweat the small stuff, and enjoy your first cruise!;)