Just back from the Celebration!

For those not on FB, myself & my daughter have just returned from a very last minute booked cruise on the Celebration around the Canaries - we booked it a week before we went, flying from our local airport only 30 minutes down the road.

We had a superb holiday - have done the itinerary before so just got off & pottered around except for Lanzarote where we booked a trip. The service everywhere on the ship was excellent, the entertainment was wonderful, the food was good and hot, the cabin on deck 1 (right at the front!) was great - have never been in the 'dungeons' before & slept remarkably well considering we had some bumpy seas at times!

Weather was good, it was lovely to meet up with friends onboard - staff as well as some other lovely people we met last year on the Celebration.

Cannot fault the holiday at all - my daughter & I had such a fantastic time & we were so well looked after! We had no problem getting a sunbed even though the ship was full!

Just to say that Top Men Band & Tomas & Maris of 2Intense will be onboard until the end of the summer season.

Edited by Julessmiles

For those not on FB, myself & my daughter have just returned from a very last minute booked cruise on the Celebration around the Canaries - we booked it a week before we went, flying from our local airport only 30 minutes down the road.

We had a superb holiday - have done the itinerary before so just got off & pottered around except for Lanzarote where we booked a trip. The service everywhere on the ship was excellent, the entertainment was wonderful, the food was good and hot, the cabin on deck 1 (right at the front!) was great - have never been in the 'dungeons' before & slept remarkably well considering we had some bumpy seas at times!

Weather was good, it was lovely to meet up with friends onboard - staff as well as some other lovely people we met last year on the Celebration.

Cannot fault the holiday at all - my daughter & I had such a fantastic time & we were so well looked after! We had no problem getting a sunbed even though the ship was full!

Just to say that Top Men Band & Tomas & Maris of 2Intense will be onboard until the end of the summer season.

Good to hear all is well on Celebration Jules and that you had such a fab time. :)

Hi Jules.

You sneaked that one in whilst I was off, well done.

Glad to know things are getting better on Celebration, some we spoke to on the Maj who had been on at Christmas and said never again as it was so bad.

I would even say that everything was even better than when we were onboard last August - nothing was bad at all. Some of the staff did tell me that the Christmas period was bad - I think they just weren't ready for it having had 5 weeks off & the re-fit; particularly over a busy Christmas period - Thomson were being too greedy trying to start the first cruise back as a Christmas cruise in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. It will be interesting to hear how things go when all the new team board as the show team are due to change for the new summer season.

I would even say that everything was even better than when we were onboard last August - nothing was bad at all. Some of the staff did tell me that the Christmas period was bad - I think they just weren't ready for it having had 5 weeks off & the re-fit; particularly over a busy Christmas period - Thomson were being too greedy trying to start the first cruise back as a Christmas cruise in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. It will be interesting to hear how things go when all the new team board as the show team are due to change for the new summer season.

I am pleased you had a good cruise and relieved to hear your comments. We were on Celebration August 2012 and after reading the latest reviews were about to book with another cruise line but decided to give Thomson another try.

I have enjoyed my previous cruises on Celebration and hope our experience is as good as yours was.

Is there a FB page for the Celebration?

Edited by john_l

I am pleased you had a good cruise and relieved to hear your comments. We were on Celebration August 2012 and after reading the latest reviews were about to book with another cruise line but decided to give Thomson another try.

I have enjoyed my previous cruises on Celebration and hope our experience is as good as yours was.

Is there a FB page for the Celebration?

We were onboard August 2012 & August 2013 John & it really is still all good :)

Yes; there is a separate 'unofficial' Thomson Celebration FB group as well as the 'unofficial' Thomson FB group....

Hmm.....ANOTHER cruise Jackie :D Trying to catch up with me :D:D:D

I've said before, Linda.....I'm trying hard! :D. There's a very cheap one soon on Spirit from Liverpool. Just cannot trust the Irish Sea to be calm enough for me!:eek:

I've said before, Linda.....I'm trying hard! :D. There's a very cheap one soon on Spirit from Liverpool. Just cannot trust the Irish Sea to be calm enough for me!:eek:

How did you like the Spirit, Jackie?

How did it compare to Dream and Majesty?

How did you like the Spirit, Jackie?

How did it compare to Dream and Majesty?

I need more time to answer that one, Nell. I keep meaning to do a review and I will do.

In short.....it was better than I expected, but I went on that cruise with less expectations and it suited grandson and me.

(I'm trying to get him to do his homework) :(:eek:

welcome back jules...good to have you back...glad you had a fab time

v pleased to hear that celeb is still performing great (thumbup) (its rapidly becoming my favorite ship):cool:

Thank you Geo. I am actually getting quite worried that we have booked 2 weeks on the Dream for the summer - having not been on her before & reading a lot of the recent reviews. A lot of the Celebration staff who have also worked on the Dream said they would never go back onboard the Dream & that they enjoy working on the Celebration so much more. Maybe with Captain John at the helm, things will start improving on he Dream.....:confused:

I am going on Celebration next Monday for the Aegean and the Holy Lands cruise, I am looking all the more forward to it having read your really positive review! This will be our first cruise and although I have read a lot of the posts on this forum, we are still excited as we don't fully know what to expect. Thank you!

I am going on Celebration next Monday for the Aegean and the Holy Lands cruise, I am looking all the more forward to it having read your really positive review! This will be our first cruise and although I have read a lot of the posts on this forum, we are still excited as we don't fully know what to expect. Thank you!

Have a great time sean - I'm sure you will. Your first cruise is so exciting - seeing all those interesting ports plus the friendly, warm atmosphere on board - what's not to enjoy? Celebration has a special place in our hearts - we've been on her almost as many times as the other three Thomson ships put together so a real favourite of ours. We haven't been on for nearly a couple of years though so I'm pleased to hear such good reports.

Thank you Geo. I am actually getting quite worried that we have booked 2 weeks on the Dream for the summer - having not been on her before & reading a lot of the recent reviews. A lot of the Celebration staff who have also worked on the Dream said they would never go back onboard the Dream & that they enjoy working on the Celebration so much more. Maybe with Captain John at the helm, things will start improving on he Dream.....:confused:

trick is jules...to not let the little niggles affect your cruise (the mdr menu is a bit lack lustre but you can always find something you like) and the waiters will bend over backwards

the relentless selling is a bit of a pain but pretty easy to ignore

they have implemented some nice touches: the revamp of deck 10 in evenings....comes into its own on a balmy night

cant fault the selection on the buffets (thoms certainly know how to put on a great full english)

the deck fest (if you like that sort of thing?)

the free bottle of fizz (for returners) delivered to cabin with much fanfare

still much to like

As Geo says, you will like the Dream. I think you do need to have an idea of what to expect in the MDR and not put up with bad service. I was very disappointed with our first 2 nights as the food was poor and the service on the second night was disgusting. So that was it! I complained to the right person (luckily) and after that we had a fantastic time in the MDR. Think Geo might know why!

It's a bigger, more "airy" ship than Majesty and Spirit, and as most of the bars and entertainment are on one deck, it is easy to find somewhere that suits you. I found most of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Oh, and we 4 ladies enjoyed the Deck Fest and the dancing. Not sure it will be quite the same when I am there with hubbie! :(;)

trick is jules...to not let the little niggles affect your cruise (the mdr menu is a bit lack lustre but you can always find something you like) and the waiters will bend over backwards

the relentless selling is a bit of a pain but pretty easy to ignore

they have implemented some nice touches: the revamp of deck 10 in evenings....comes into its own on a balmy night

cant fault the selection on the buffets (thoms certainly know how to put on a great full english)

the deck fest (if you like that sort of thing?)

the free bottle of fizz (for returners) delivered to cabin with much fanfare

still much to like

Thanks Geo & Jackie for your reassurance!

Selling was happening on the Celebration too - we just ignored it but felt sorry for the staff having to do it now!

Deck 10 sounds good!

Buffet was good on Celebration so glad to hear the Dream is the same.

Deck fest - we will investigate; always enjoy a bit of deck dancing!

We didn't get the free bottle of bubbly on the Celebration - we did get a half price offer for Mistrals which we didn't use. Did get lots of other 'treats' though but that was from the staff we know, not from the Management.....

Sounds very much like the Celebration really; just hope it's as good!