Carnival Paradise - May 19 2014 - Want to try reef gliding

JeffreyInTheSun

Hi there - It's our first time cruising as a family (did it many years ago with just my wife but now we're taking our 2 teenage boys with us), so hoping you can help. I didn't book any of the shore activities sold by Carnival in advance because I want to do my own research - I'm geeky like that - so I am looking for some help. We love to snorkel and are really looking forward to the reefs in Grand Cayman and I was searching online for stuff to do with our sons and found an article online about something called reef gliding. http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/2014/03/04/On-the-waves--A-different-perspective/ Carnival doesn't offer anything like this and I would love to try it - looks amazing! Has anyone else tried it? We arrive in 3 weeks and my sons are begging me to book.

This must be relatively new to GC as I've never seen or heard of it before and we own a TS on East end. A friend and I sailing on Paradise on the 12th and I will as our guide about it. I have previously found that any mechanical assistance snorkeling kind of takes away from the experience and you miss seeing a lot.

Just my opinion. :)

Hmmm, interesting. I don't think I would do it, but I LOVE to snorkel and be in the water. For someone who does not swim well, or is afraid of the water, this might be a nice option. I can't imagine you can see a very wide "panorama" view and therefore would be just kind of looking down, in hopes of going over some cool stuff. When in the water you can look all around you, which makes is much more fantastic.

They offer a night tour, which is something I'd definitely do, as I am not that keen on swimming in the ocean at night, but have heard that night snorkeling and dives are awesome, so that is something I would try.

Seems like it would be "hot" as well being on top of the water and not in it. Let us know if you do it and how much you like it! It's an interesting concept for those who don't like to be in the water I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input! Yes, I thought it would be really hot too, so I called the company and they were really informative. They tole me that each glider has a bottle holder on it so we can bring water with us! They also told me that because you don't really get wet, wearing a t-shirt or lightweight long-sleeve of some kind will keep us cool. I also asked them about how much you can see on the glider, and the told me to check out their video on YouTube, which I did. I think we're gonna book - my kids are going to be mad at me if I don't do it and it really does look awesome - besides, no one wants to be on a ship in the middle of the ocean with two pouting teenagers!!!

Hey Vero Beach Louise,

Yes - it's really new. They opened the beginning of April and I just found out they're offering a 15% discount right now as their grand opening offer. I checked them out on Trip Advisor and they have some great reviews already - sounds like the electric motors don't compromise what you see (sea turtles, stingrays, etc.). I'm hoping other people post before our trip, my kids are getting noisy! LOL

Hey Vero Beach Louise,

Yes - it's really new. They opened the beginning of April and I just found out they're offering a 15% discount right now as their grand opening offer. I checked them out on Trip Advisor and they have some great reviews already - sounds like the electric motors don't compromise what you see (sea turtles, stingrays, etc.). I'm hoping other people post before our trip, my kids are getting noisy! LOL

Be sure to let us all know about it when you get back! Always nice to have options!! :)