Can't get to hol chan or rendezvous caye for cheap :(

lifeofleisure

Hey Guys I would like to get some snorkeling done in belize, I saw a decent value for everything I want from ecotours (hol chan plus caye caulker) but they need 15 people to go. The prices seem really high to snorkel from anyone else I mean 80 dollars a person? Those are dive prices and I have my own gear...do u think I could get a random boat on caye caulker to take us to hol chan and back for like $90? Also I heard rendezvous caye has decent snorkeling but it doesn't seem like anyone goes there as I think maybe carnival owns it? Help :)!!!

We booked a private with Ivar Marchand to go by boat to Hol Chan/ Shark ray alley. Total costs up to 6 people is $450. I understand gas is extremely high there.

I'm curious how long ago you booked this with Ivar? Was this a past booking or one that is coming up? We have 7 people in our group (1 child) and he quoted us a price of $110 pp and 1/2 off for the child. I'm just wondering if I should call him back and try to negotiate some or just book the shark ray alley. Thanks for your input!

Probably reserved over 6 months ago. Originally just 4 of us for $450. We added 1 so now 5. He told me if we increased over 6 the cost would go up because he would need to fire a different boat and price would be more. He does not have his own boat.

My guess is the price he quoted is the price for over 6.

I shopped around some and my back up was going to be Sea Sport Belize if Ivar couldn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is worth it to pay the extra money to go to Hol Chan. Just make sure they dont have fine print that says Coral Gardens, there is a big difference. I booked a cruise to go back to Belize and wanted my wife to experiece Hol Chan, but ended up getting taken to Coral Gardens. Best bet would be to pay the extra money and fly to San Pedro, I learned the hard way and may never get to go back again.