Important Advice for your First Cruise!!

meghan1317

We really do need a "like" button on these things sometimes. On my tablet iheartbda's message just shows "attachment 311987". I was curious what that was so on the computer I logged in and saw that it was a blue ribbon.

Very clever. Made me smile :)

I have been on 4 cruises (5th upcoming), and have researched each one thoroughly beforehand. A lot of that research comes from CC, and I ALWAYS learn something new! I need a lot more practice before I become an expert!:D

I think OP did a great job, both with her post and in how she handled herself with the commentary. The times are definitely changing as far as school assignments go, and as a parent and former English/Language Arts teacher, I can tell you there are some very interesting "out of the box" assignments handed out. Not at all unusual to assign a post on an internet board. In fact, many classes now have their own forums set up that students are required to post commentary about an assignment, and respond to other posts. The apology was well-deserved and graciously given, IMHO.

For first time cruisers, just keep reading these boards - they are a true wealth of information!

I enjoyed this post! Thank you for posting, I would have liked to have found this for my first cruise as I had NO IDEA how checkin worked and that my bag was going to be x-rayed. Not that it was an issue, I just didnt know.

<<<snipped>>>>>

Every time you get back on board, you will go through a similar process (your ID and "Cruise Card" will be checked and bags will be scanned). A big item cruise ships are looking for is alcohol.

every time we (3 adults and 3 kids) get back on the ship, we need them to show their state issued Birth Certificates?!!??? :eek:

:confused:

Edited by Traveller20074

every time we (3 adults and 3 kids) get back on the ship, we need them to show their state issued Birth Certificates?!!??? :eek:

Before our daughter's second cruise, we got her a passport. What I like about that over a birth certificate is that it has her photo on it. Since then, it's been renewed a couple of times. Next time we renew it, it'll be for ten years. She's even used it for ID for her SAT and ACT exams.

Not at all.

Adults need to to take their sea pass and picture ID such as a drivers license. Children will only need their sea pass.

Before our daughter's second cruise' date=' we got her a passport. What I like about that over a birth certificate is that it has her photo on it. Since then, it's been renewed a couple of times. Next time we renew it, it'll be for ten years. She's even used it for ID for her SAT and ACT exams.[/quote']

I have no say in what my daughter does, the cruise was last minute, and yes, ideally, they'd all have passports. There wasn't time to get them :)

Not at all.

Adults need to to take their sea pass and picture ID such as a drivers license. Children will only need their sea pass.

It depends on the port - 99% of the time I would say you are right but when we did the New Zealand/Australia cruise we were required to bring passports for everyone. That even applied to the 6 month old and 3 YO.

It depends on the port - 99% of the time I would say you are right but when we did the New Zealand/Australia cruise we were required to bring passports for everyone. That even applied to the 6 month old and 3 YO.

My response was to a closed loop cruise sailing on Norwegian Lines to Alaska.

OK, If you stop in Russia, Afghanistan or Nigeria, you might need to take your passport off the ship with you.

• 1 year later...
My only advice I will offer is that there are a number of posters on CC that relish the opportunity to take shots at others, kind of like target practice.:eek:

Ignore them.;)

You are right and what is sad about it is it takes away from what the OP is trying to do. I have new cruisers coming on our cruise with us and I tried to search in the new cruiser forum for a list of things that newbies may not be aware of without creating a list myself and it was so hard to find. When I finally stumble on this post, I found it helpful to print for them. But some people just have to add their smarty pants remarks and take away from the good this post does. Thanks OP. Some people like your post. :)

I've been on 19 cruises and thankfully I had some knowledge before my first cruise thanks to cruise critic and helpful posters. There is no need to bash a post that clearly is helpful to someone that has never stepped foot onto a cruise ship. Just sayin'