Do the stain remover pens work?

zcat

I found that Oxi Clean Wipes are much better for me than shout..... The trick I have found that works is you put a tissue on the back side of the material and then wipe the stain. When the material dries the stain is gone. I have had the best luck with coffee stains. I hate to admit how often a little coffee gets on my top :eek:

Where to buy the Oxi Clean wipes?

I've seen the Shout ones, but not the others. They both sound great! I didn't think about getting the stain out right then. I did bring a Spray n Wash stick w/ me on our vacation last year. You can treat it and leave it for a week, but not get something out right then and there. Neat!

On a related but slightly different topic........

Anyone familiar w/ the Janie Stick? It's wonderful.

Full label reads Janie - Dry Stick Spot Cleaner.

My Janie stick, which costs about $5.00, is about 10 years old and still isn't even half used up.

It's a chalk like stick housed inside a round cardboard tube box. The top cap has a little brush sticking up from it. It can be used on all fabrics, even silk.

It doesn't really get out regular stains, but is fantastic for oil.

So, if DH gets a salad dressing splatter on his tie, I rub it with the Janie stick, wait a few minutes and then brush it off. No white ring and oil stain is completely gone.

Years ago, I was dining in a restaurant w/ a friend who had her winter coat turned inside out over an empty chair at our table. A waiter came by with a salad, tripped and spilled it all over her coat getting a huge greasy mess on the satin lining of her coat. We brought it to my house, covered the whole stain w/ the stick and then brushed it off. It took about 3 applications, but we got all the oil out of the lining of her coat. It was amazing.

So, it's not better than a wet stain remover, but for about $5.00, it's something everyone should have in the house for oil stains. And since it's a dry stick, it never goes bad and will last forever. I've seen it sold in shoe repair shops, key-making kiosks - places like that. I don't think the company is big enough to distribute to mega-stores like Walmart.

Jane

I've used the regular Tide-To-Go pen and it does work well. Last week I spilled tea on a white outfit and it took the satin right out. Yesterday we were eating raspberries and one fell off the spoon onto my cotton top. I had to rub for a while but the pen got the berry stain out too! It's not a pretreater like the oxy-clean or Shout wipes, if the stain doesn't come out with the pen you'll still have to use something to pretreat before you launder.

It's on my list of things to take when traveling.

Jane I"ve seen the Janie Stick at our local grocery stores Giant/Martin with the small items like sewing kits, and pins. They come in a plastic cases now.

Do you make the stick wet or use it dry all the time?

Ms B

I've used the regular Tide-To-Go pen and it does work well. Last week I spilled tea on a white outfit and it took the satin right out. Yesterday we were eating raspberries and one fell off the spoon onto my cotton top. I had to rub for a while but the pen got the berry stain out too! It's not a pretreater like the oxy-clean or Shout wipes, if the stain doesn't come out with the pen you'll still have to use something to pretreat before you launder.

It's on my list of things to take when traveling.

Jane I"ve seen the Janie Stick at our local grocery stores Giant/Martin with the small items like sewing kits, and pins. They come in a plastic cases now.

Do you make the stick wet or use it dry all the time?

Ms B

Wow, Tide stick got out raspberry stain? I'm going to look for it when I go to the store. Thanks!

I looked at my Janie Stick again, and the tube is plastic, not cardboard. I think my first Janie stick was cardboard (15+ years ago) and but my "new" one (10 yrs old) is white plastic.

It's meant to be used dry as it's mostly for oil, so water wouldn't help oil and would only ruin delicate fabrics like silk.

Jane

I don't use the wipes as a "pre-treater". If you use them according to the directions, you don't have to launder the item for that stain - the wipe completely removes it.

They work great, when I use them I always get a circle of where the cleaner dried. Probably operator error. :)

Jane, I'll have to pick up one of the Janie Sticks.

For anyone who clips coupons, a Tide-To-Go Pen coupon for a dollar off was in Sunday's paper.

HTH

Great suggetion, thank you. Like I said, it's operator error. But the spots always DO come out in the wash later. :)

Yes - you should always use water after the wipe, that prevents a circle. I just used one today on my favorite WHITE pants!!!:eek: I was using a bright blue gel pen (I'm a pen freak - love the different colors) and was hurrying off to a meeting and the pen flipped out of my hand and right onto my lap...3 darn pen marks. Ripped open a wipe (I have both kinds - they seem to do the same job for me) and went to town. A few minutes later...pants saved!!! Thank goodness!!!

Yes - you should always use water after the wipe, that prevents a circle. I just used one today on my favorite WHITE pants!!!:eek: I was using a bright blue gel pen (I'm a pen freak - love the different colors) and was hurrying off to a meeting and the pen flipped out of my hand and right onto my lap...3 darn pen marks. Ripped open a wipe (I have both kinds - they seem to do the same job for me) and went to town. A few minutes later...pants saved!!! Thank goodness!!!

Gotta love a cleaner that gets an ink stain out of white! ;)

Thanks, too, to sillylizzie for the hint about rubbing it inside out.

I save the towlettes from one use to another if I have a tiny spot to take out. Carefully cut the top of the packet open, use the wipe without opening it up and then tape the top of the packet shut after putting the wipe back in. :)

Jane, I have a Janie stick and I didn't know it was for oil stains! I thought it just didn't work very well. I'll have to keep it handy from now on, thanks!

Yup, when used for the right thing, it's wonderful!

Jane

Archived