Towel Animals

It has been so long since I have traveled with a little child, that I never realy gave thought to the decline in frequency of the towel animals.

That being said, my sister in law is bringing her little one...

Has anyone had experience with maybe getting an extra towel animal or whatever once the steward knows you have a little one with you?

Not a make or break deal, but the kid is so danged excited about it, I think she is more excited about that than anything else on the ship!

Hm...do they still offer towel animal classes? Maybe I should sign her mother up :D

In 2012, our room steward for nightly towel animals (even though that wasn't the policy) after the kids were clearly VERY excited for the animals and thanked the steward.

Earlier this month, our room steward did NOT provide towel animals on the off nights, even though I had left a TY note indicating how much my children enjoyed towel animals. I didn't come right out and ask for extras though.

Our extra tip (on top of standard gratuities) reflected whether or not we received towel animals nightly.

On my March cruise on the Adventure we had no towel animals. They gave us a paper showing how to make a towel animal ourselves!!!!! They told us the towel animal people were on vacation for the week (I guessed they meant the room stewards were on vacation from MAKING towel animals)!!!! I thought that was odd! My little grandson was on that cruise and he would've liked them.

On my first cruise, I was really lucky and our steward spent ages making them for us and then, when we left thank you notes, he showed us how to make them :)

It's just a bit of fun that makes me smile! After my mum came back from her cruise last June, I had left loads all around their house to make them feel like they were still on holiday!

Jo :)

On my March cruise on the Adventure we had no towel animals. They gave us a paper showing how to make a towel animal ourselves!!!!! They told us the towel animal people were on vacation for the week (I guessed they meant the room stewards were on vacation from MAKING towel animals)!!!! I thought that was odd! My little grandson was on that cruise and he would've liked them.

Our recent Serenade cruise (4/5) we had towel animals in our cabin most every night. There was also a demonstration onboard for those interested in making the critters.

I must admit, as silly as they may seem, I do miss having a new towel animal each night! Even at my age. But then, I also miss my chocolate mint on the pillow at turn down, too! It kind of shocked me when I went on Carnival and got towel animals every night and even found that, on one morning, a towel animal had been left in EVERY lounge chair around the pool. Oh, and we still got a chocolate on our pillow!

Whew, that almost sounded like I'm a Carnival cheerleader! We love to cruise, but RC is our favorite...still!

Pete

I do not understand towel animals. Why are these done on cruise ships? why are so many people entertained by them?

Uh...they have been left for us at a couple of the nicer hotels. We also have freinds, and our sone, has found them in their hotel rooms from time to time.

Uh...they have been left for us at a couple of the nicer hotels. We also have freinds, and our sone, has found them in their hotel rooms from time to time.

From Motel 6 Ann Arbor to Ritz Carlton Buckhead, I've stayed in all types of hotels all over the world, and I have never seen this done except on a cruise ship.

When I was on Oasis last year, we had a towel animal every other night. One of the animals fell apart when I went to move it to take a picture, and I had asked the room attendant to remake it so I can take a picture of it and he did. I also asked about chocolate and he said they didn't do it any more, but he manged to sneak some chocolate for us a couple time throughout the cruise. We was an awesome attendant! We gave him some extra tip, and he made a small little towel guy for us on the last night of the cruise. I should have taken it home with me!

On average we have gotten them every other night on RCCL. I love them!

Uh...they have been left for us at a couple of the nicer hotels.

Us too. Disney does them particularly well with rubber bands so they remain the way they are designed. (I have snuck a few of the cuter ones home ;)). We have received them at the Ritz and the W, but not with any frequency.

As to the "why" I have no idea. Who thought it was a good to make things out of towels and how did it become a cruise ship staple? Anyone know the history?

On our last two cruises, we had towel animals about 4 nights out of 7. I think they are just a nice, fun thing to do and I look forward them. That being said, one of our Roll Call group was taking her boyfriend on his first cruise. She wanted him to have towel animals every night. She Tipped her room steward up front and told him that they 'REALLY LIKED TOWEL ANIMALS'. From what I understand he did an awesome making sure they had some animals every night.

My suggestion would be to mention it to your room steward up front. Let him/her know that there will be a little one and you would like to have animals every night. I'm sure a little tip would help as well. ;)

From Motel 6 Ann Arbor to Ritz Carlton Buckhead, I've stayed in all types of hotels all over the world, and I have never seen this done except on a cruise ship.

Guess the either don't like you or you are mean. :D

The only other places I've seen towel animals outside of cruise ships are the Disney resorts.

The only other places I've seen towel animals outside of cruise ships are the Disney resorts.

I was just going to say that. Although I didn't get any towel animals when I was Disney in November, I think it may be the room and/or resort staying in.

Just got off the Freedom. We had towel animals every night except the first one, which I completely understand with that being turnaround day for the room stewards. The animals were pretty awesome and they'll use your sunglasses and other props to make it look cool sometimes, so leave your sunglasses, remote, etc out and the steward might make it extra special for the kids!

It has been so long since I have traveled with a little child, that I never realy gave thought to the decline in frequency of the towel animals.

That being said, my sister in law is bringing her little one...

Has anyone had experience with maybe getting an extra towel animal or whatever once the steward knows you have a little one with you?

Not a make or break deal, but the kid is so danged excited about it, I think she is more excited about that than anything else on the ship!

Hm...do they still offer towel animal classes? Maybe I should sign her mother up :D

On our pass cruises we have gotten them every other night . And our room steward Phillip Santos showed my daughter how to make a couple as we were his last cabin for the night . We had tipped extra at the beginning of the cruise and again at the end . As he was so good

I was just going to say that. Although I didn't get any towel animals when I was Disney in November, I think it may be the room and/or resort staying in.

I never had a towel animal at a Disney Resort I stayed at. Of course I only stay at moderate resorts. Must have to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge or one of the other more expensive resorts to receive one. Never understood why you would want to stay in a $400 a night hotel at Disney. You're in your room less there than on a cruise ship.

We were on LOS last week with my 10 y.o. and our cabin steward did a fantastic job with the towel animals! We had the dog, pig, elephant - and on the last night he did 2 ducklings! I had never seen the ducklings before!

I don't know about the classes, but he did offer to come by and teach my daughter how to do them.