Cave Tubing or 4x4 Jungle Trek - Help Me Decide!!

mirthmaiden

I know there have been many posts/questions about cave tubing so please forgive me for being redundant! I have read through so many rave reviews and then others relating nightmare experiences. My family of 6 will be in Belize 11/23 on LOTS. We are interested in doing this excursion. It is between this or the 4x4 jungle trek. But I have some questions:

My husband is about 275 lbs and a cancer patient with reduced stamina. He is in fair physical condition, but certainly not for climbing, uphill walking or other really strenous activity. My DD and DS are only 11 and 10. Both are good swimmers.

1) How large and heavy are the tubes? Are there handles or any way of connecting them so that we wouldn't be separated as we float down the river? I can envision my two younger kids panicking if they became separated from our group. I guess I would probably panic too!

2) From what I've read, I understand that the rainy season will be over in October, so November water levels should be quite tame. True or false?

3) The Amigos lunch... is the menu OK for all tastes? DD and I both are averse to anything spicy.

4) I assume the 4x4 jungle buggies seat 4 people. Does anyone know about this? Anyone taken this excursion?

5) I've seen various descriptions of the hike through the jungle to the river. Will DH be in bad shape afterwards, or will it be manageable?

Thanks for all your help!!

Thanks. I appreciate your reply, but I'm really looking for candid responses from people who aren't obviously trying to sell something. There seems to be a lot of information on the boards about the cave tubing, but almost nothing about the 4x4 jungle trek. Hard to believe that nobody has done it (or is willing to talk about it!)

Archived