A Getaway Review: A week in Paradise (with photos) [April 26-May 3]

jerray07

Hi,

Will be on getaway soon.

My husband is a vegetarian also. Are there any veggie burgers served anywhere?

Also, was walk the plank really scary?

Ty

Jane

I *think* if you let the restaurant manager know your a vegaterian the first day on board they can prepare food for you. And maybe you should let them know via your reservation beforehand.

Harriet

Hi,

Will be on getaway soon.

My husband is a vegetarian also. Are there any veggie burgers served anywhere?

Also, was walk the plank really scary?

Ty

Jane

There are vegetarian options in every place to eat, but usually only one option, so you're kinda stuck with whatever they are serving. No veggie burgers anywhere that I saw. So veggie friendly, but not a wide variety.

Thank you for the review, ship sounds wonderful! We have 20 days left, can't wait. Do you know who the other comedian was on the ship and if that changes each sailing? Thank you.

I can't remember the other comedian's name, and it doesn't change every sailing, but it changes pretty often. The comedian we had mentioned that he was leaving this month sometime. I think they only stay on for about 3 sailings or so at a time.

Did Chris enjoy the ribs? Were they comparable to Chili's, Sonny's or someplace similar?

Were the ribs St Louis style (cartilage tip) or baby back ribs?

Entertaining review so far. Keep up the good work.

Chris RAVED about the Moderno Brazilian steakhouse (more on that in future postings). That was by far his favorite in terms of meat. He had ribs there that he says were the best on the ship, probably comparable to Sonny's. To him, no ribs will ever match Bubba Gumps. They are his favorite.

I wasn't aware until now that were different styles of ribs, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question there (sorry)! But if you want good ribs, try Moderno. O'Sheehans occasionally has rib night, but he didn't care too much for those.

Edited by jerray07

I *think* if you let the restaurant manager know your a vegaterian the first day on board they can prepare food for you. And maybe you should let them know via your reservation beforehand.

Harriet

I let them know prior to the cruise that I was a vegetarian, and there was a note in the stateroom when we arrived that basically said they acknowledged that, but they never gave me instructions on requesting certain foods or offered to bring a special menu or anything.

Great review. The bowling sounds like candlepin bowling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling . Not sure about where you are from but it is popular here in New England. I realize that Wikipedia isn't generally a cite worthy site but this isn't exactly a research paper either.

Edited by PCLMassachusetts

Chris RAVED about the Moderno Brazilian steakhouse (more on that in future postings). That was by far his favorite in terms of meat. He had ribs there that he says were the best on the ship, probably comparable to Sonny's. To him, no ribs will ever match Bubba Gumps. They are his favorite.

I wasn't aware until now that were different styles of ribs, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question there (sorry)! But if you want good ribs, try Moderno. O'Sheehans occasionally has rib night, but he didn't care too much for those.

Ribs at Moderno:

My food intinerary is filling up fast!

Edited by Accessbowtie

Great review. The bowling sounds like candlepin bowling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling . Not sure about where you are from but it is popular here in New England. I realize that Wikipedia isn't generally a cite worthy site but this isn't exactly a research paper either.

Thanks for the link! I have never heard of it before! It is exactly like this except the pins are regular bowling pin-shaped!

Thanks for the link! I have never heard of it before! It is exactly like this except the pins are regular bowling pin-shaped!

I believe that is called duck pin, with slightly shorter but regular shaped pins and candle pin balls (which IMO are the best type to bowl with). I'm loving your review of the Getaway and am hoping to be on it next year.

Great review so far, my wife and I are going in October. Was there a charge for the bowling? I know there was on the Epic so I wasn't sure if there would be on here as well.

Yes! Five dollars per player. We only payed for one player and then switched turns.

Your review has me hooked! I am totally in love with you two cuties!,,

Love your style...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.... wow!,

Summer seems too far away....

Nora

We are going in August. I am really curious if you check out Spice H2o during the day on your cruise. If so, how do you think it compares to the Vibe since they are both supposed to be adults only (H2O is during the day). I'm loving the pics and reviews. We are also in a balcony but on 14.

I let them know prior to the cruise that I was a vegetarian, and there was a note in the stateroom when we arrived that basically said they acknowledged that, but they never gave me instructions on requesting certain foods or offered to bring a special menu or anything.

Why I always suggest talking the the Restaurant Manager once you board.

Harriet

We are going in August. I am really curious if you check out Spice H2o during the day on your cruise. If so, how do you think it compares to the Vibe since they are both supposed to be adults only (H2O is during the day). I'm loving the pics and reviews. We are also in a balcony but on 14.

I address this later ;) Stay tuned!

Did you tell them ahead of time if you were vegetarian? When we booked this time, they asked if anyone in our party was a vegetarian and he said they would code their key cards and they would get special menus.

I did - they even had a letter waiting for me in my cabin upon arrival that said they took in my special dietary request. I always let the waiters know as well, and no one ever offered a special menu of any sort. Maybe I missed something :/

Why I always suggest talking the the Restaurant Manager once you board.

Harriet

True story - the manager was our server one busy night in one of the main dining rooms. She didn't mention or say anything about it either after I told her I was a vegetarian. :/ Maybe I didn't do something I was supposed to. Not sure, but it was never an issue since there was always at least 1 thing I could have. No biggie.

Edited by jerray07

I did - they even had a letter waiting for me in my cabin upon arrival that said they took in my special dietary request. I always let the waiters know as well, and no one ever offered a special menu of any sort. Maybe I missed something :/

When you check in for lunch and dinner, and give your room key, you'd have to give your room key - not the boyfriend's / husband's. It would only be your key that was coded. I'm thinking maybe he gave his key at restaurant check ins rather than you?

When you check in for lunch and dinner, and give your room key, you'd have to give your room key - not the boyfriend's / husband's. It would only be your key that was coded. I'm thinking maybe he gave his key at restaurant check ins rather than you?

Hmph. This is definitely perplexing to me then because we always used my card. :/ Like I said, it never was really an issue, but everyone seems to be suggesting that something should have happened that didn't.

Hmph. This is definitely perplexing to me then because we always used my card. :/ Like I said, it never was really an issue, but everyone seems to be suggesting that something should have happened that didn't.

Yeah .... I have a wheat allergy, and as soon as they scanned my card, no matter where we were, they knew about it. That's strange.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - St. Maarten

Up at 6:30 to watch us approach and dock the island!

20140429_064637.jpg

20140429_070441+%25281%2529.jpg

20140429_073823.jpg

Panoramic of Approaching the Dock

We left the ship shortly after the announcement that the docked ship had been cleared. We grabbed breakfast at the Garden Cafe and watched the Getaway inch up to the dock. Then we grabbed our backpack and walked off the ship for the first time in 3 days.

20140429_080407.jpg

20140429_080519.jpg

We booked a private excursion through Island Marketing - an ATV tour of the island. We had some difficulty finding out where we were supposed to meet, and with no way to call, we started to panic. We finally found the meeting point, and our director, Junior (a very friendly and veryyy laid back fellow), took us to the four wheelers, and we were on our way!

20140429_090345.jpg

20140429_093413.jpg

We stopped at this lookout point for great pictures!

20140429_093712.jpg

Another Panoramic

20140429_093734.jpg

20140429_093757.jpg

20140429_094021.jpg