Pre-Cruise San Juan hotels

stacyrn07

We are departing on the Carnival Valor on 1/18/15. Coming into SJU on Saturday in case of winter weather here...

Looking for a hotel for the night before the cruise. I have heard the San Sebastian carnival is happening this weekend which is making hotel prices spike. Last year, we stayed at the Radission and I don't necessarily think it was worth what we paid, but it was fine for one night. Any recommendations for hotels in the area, looking to hopefully stay at or under 200 for the night. Seems to be a little challenging.

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Condado? This seems to be one of the more reasonable hotels. We don't need to stay in OSJ, really anywhere in between the airport and OSJ. Must have a pool since we have some extra time to enjoy :)

Thanks!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Condado the location was awesome! We were just a short walk from a beach, wallgreens, chilli's, denny's and even a Ben and Jerry's. booked it through hotels dot com $98 for the room

I second the comfort inn, great location, great staff, great breakfast. We were very happy there. Book early if it's San Sebastian weekend. We have been there festival weekend and it's fun! Seems like hotels outside of OSJ don't spike too much in price. We also paid around 100$ and booked thru the comfort inn web site.

We are departing on the Carnival Valor on 1/18/15. Coming into SJU on Saturday in case of winter weather here...

Looking for a hotel for the night before the cruise. I have heard the San Sebastian carnival is happening this weekend which is making hotel prices spike.

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in January. Booked with hotel points, so no cost. November we are staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan, February at the Holiday Inn.

Which ever hotel you choose, be prepared for a lengthy trip to the pier because of the festival. It took us nearly 2 hours to go five miles.

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn Isla Verde. Good price, good area with lots of restaurants and a CVS nearby to stock up on wine and soda to carry on the ship. Right near the approach to one of the main runways at SJU so kinda loud if you don't like plane noise but they have an awesome pool and hot tub as well. As with any SJU hotel, you have to get your own cab from the airport and to the cruise port which will run you about $20 plus a dollar per bag each time but for me, the best option without spending an arm and a leg. This was in September 2012 so maybe I just got lucky with a good price then but look into it. Heard the Intercontinental is very nice as well and very close to the cruise terminal but it is very expensive.

We just booked for Feb. 20, 2016 on Adventure out of San Juan, and we're cruising with another couple. We splurged with the WOW sale and we have adjoining Grand Suites. (Our first! Woo!)

I'm looking for something safe and affordable. (Not more than $200 per couple, preferably less.)

Thanks Cruise Critic pals,

Mary

Edited by silver_cloud

silver cloud - when we were there last year, we took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (there is a taxi line) and then the following morning got a taxi from the hotel to the port. No problem getting a taxi from the hotel, they were right there at the curb. I am sure the hotel can call one for you as well.

Just booked at Le Consulat in Condado. Got a AAA rate 177 with all taxes for the night 1/17 during the San Sebastian festival (2 queen beds). Free cancellation til 1/15.

Similarly, with some research for those still looking, Holiday Inn Express is 216.81 with all taxes (based on occupancy of 4, free cancellation) and the Radisson is 174.35 (but is non-refundable).

silver cloud - when we were there last year, we took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (there is a taxi line) and then the following morning got a taxi from the hotel to the port. No problem getting a taxi from the hotel, they were right there at the curb. I am sure the hotel can call one for you as well.

Just booked at Le Consulat in Condado. Got a AAA rate 177 with all taxes for the night 1/17 during the San Sebastian festival (2 queen beds). Free cancellation til 1/15.

Similarly, with some research for those still looking, Holiday Inn Express is 216.81 with all taxes (based on occupancy of 4, free cancellation) and the Radisson is 174.35 (but is non-refundable).

Hi Stacyrn07, We are on this cruise with you, what a great itinerary (we have done it 2 times before on the Victory before the Valor and Victory traded places) We are booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Condado and booked at $184 per room (3 rooms) for the Sat night also with free cancellation and breakfast included (not that many hotels in San Juan do this). The first time we were there for the San Sebastian Festival we stayed at the Marriott in Condado but had my brothers friends and family discount ($39 each night :eek: wish we had that again) it was just dumb luck that we were there then but it was an awesome experience. Lots of culture and interaction with the local people... where we really fell in love with Puerto Rico. Do you get to stay after the cruise at all? When you get in to San Juan to your hotel... get settled and then go into old town for the festival.... most places you can catch a bus ($.50-$.75 each way) from or even a taxi either way will take you a while. They have some great street foods and fun atmosphere you have ever seen. Hope to see you on board. Are you on the roll call?