Smart casual evenings

campergirl62

Doesn't really matter. A Hugo Boss trainer/sneaker is still just that. IT'S NOT A SHOE. Doesn't matter how you word it or justify it by it's cost. It's not a shoe. Even the poster who said they wore such Hugo Boss footwear on the ship referred to them as trainers.

As per my other post, why put the P&O staff in a position? Why rebel and play the naughty school kid trying to get away with something non uniform?

If a junior waiter spots an issue or a passenger does and complains they refer it to a senior waiter who might ask the Maître D to intervene. What does this achieve? It takes 3 staff out of the busy dinner service to deal with someone who is just being a twit for the sake of it.

If it is not a shoe what is it, a glove?

For the record, as I have often stated in this forum, if there is a dress code then I will always comply in the areas in which it is obligatory. Dress codes are however, often ambiguous and open to interpretation, and this is a case in point. If P&O wished to ban all sports shoes they could simply have stated so. To exclude trainers alone could reasonably be taken as implying that other sports shoes may be acceptable. Whilst it is unlikely that anyone would choose to wear football boots it is quite possible that they may wear Converse sneakers, for example, or tennis shoes. These are often acceptable in clubs etc where trainers are not, and I have indeed seen them worn on P&O ships without comment. All that is needed is a little flexibility and common sense.

If it is not a shoe what is it, a glove?

For the record, as I have often stated in this forum, if there is a dress code then I will always comply in the areas in which it is obligatory. Dress codes are however, often ambiguous and open to interpretation, and this is a case in point. If P&O wished to ban all sports shoes they could simply have stated so. To exclude trainers alone could reasonably be taken as implying that other sports shoes may be acceptable. Whilst it is unlikely that anyone would choose to wear football boots it is quite possible that they may wear Converse sneakers, for example, or tennis shoes. These are often acceptable in clubs etc where trainers are not, and I have indeed seen them worn on P&O ships without comment. All that is needed is a little flexibility and common sense.

You sound like the sound of passenger who would stand in the entrance to the MDR on formal night in your flip flops swearing blind they are shoes. No wonder cruise ship staff have a long list of names for such passengers, most of which I cannot repeat on here.

campergirl - you may have realised that any mention of the term "dress code" seems to start off all manner of debate!! ;) LOL

To help with your initial question - hubby takes chino type trousers, smart dark jeans, black trousers, smart polo shirts, short sleeve cotton shirts with collars and black shoes. I take a mixture of cotton skirts, capri pants, linen trousers, "dressy" t-shirts, blouses, strappy tops, halter neck tops, dresses etc. On our only "cold" cruise I took black jeans for smart casual nights too. They were new so were really black and looked almost like trousers. Shoe wise I normally take sandals, mules, full shoes with block heel (for the "cold" cruise).

Try not to get too hung up on it - I'm sure you'll be fine. Most of all, enjoy your cruise!! :)

Bells

So why would you want to wear trainers for dinner? Hilarious.

Maybe the better description is 'smart casual Hugo Boss footware'.

Does that help?

Having seen the tatty, scuffed loafers and dirty canvas shoes worn by many others on 'smart casual night', I'm very pleased with my smart casual Hugo Boss footware.

Even funnier huh?

Oh and by the way, I love dressing up on black tie evenings but would never in a million years consider wearing the garish and gaudy Union Jack and multi-coloured bow ties - many of which I've seen on formal nights. Now that is something else that should be banned but isn't - yet.

You sound like the sound of passenger who would stand in the entrance to the MDR on formal night in your flip flops swearing blind they are shoes. No wonder cruise ship staff have a long list of names for such passengers, most of which I cannot repeat on here.

The op did not say anything which needs this kind of response. You have come across as rude and insulting.

I'm really looking foreward to my P&O cruise seeing all the SYCOPANTS sucking up to the boat driver or anyone else who wears epaulettes. For heavens sake YOU ARE ON Holiday. Who really gives a stuff if you eat peas with your knife or drink red wine with your fish course. You are on the cruise to enjoy yourself and to let others enjoy themselves as long as they don't tread on your toes.

The op did not say anything which needs this kind of response. You have come across as rude and insulting.

I agree entirely. Abuse is the last resort of those who realise they cannot win a debate by any other means. I will not stoop so low.

I'm really looking foreward to my P&O cruise seeing all the SYCOPANTS sucking up to the boat driver or anyone else who wears epaulettes. For heavens sake YOU ARE ON Holiday. Who really gives a stuff if you eat peas with your knife or drink red wine with your fish course. You are on the cruise to enjoy yourself and to let others enjoy themselves as long as they don't tread on your toes.

Common sense at last.

Edited by Denarius

As per P&O guidance in relation to this thread - trainers/sneakers, no. Shoes yes.

Thanks.

Scruffy, scuffed loafers? Dirty tatty canvas deck shoes?

Because I saw a lot of them on my one & only cruise.

I'm beginning to regret booking a cruise at all! Too many argumentative people! :confused:

You'll be fine, in many years of cruising Ive seen maybe 1 argument on board, less than down your local!

You tend to find when the beer is flowing and the sun is shining a mellowness suddenly engulfs the Brits!

Well, I intend to enjoy my cruise no matter what. Steve has everything that people don't seem to like, tattoos, ear rings, London accent, the lot. If I'm honest, most people would think he's a bit intimidating on first meeting him.

But, he is very intelligent, can talk to anyone and about most things, and is always very polite and the first to help anyone. You'll always find him helping people with luggage etc. To me, those qualities are far more important.

Although, we read the dress code about what was acceptable and what was not before we booked. So we intend to abide by that.

Well, I intend to enjoy my cruise no matter what. Steve has everything that people don't seem to like, tattoos, ear rings, London accent, the lot. If I'm honest, most people would think he's a bit intimidating on first meeting him.

But, he is very intelligent, can talk to anyone and about most things, and is always very polite and the first to help anyone. You'll always find him helping people with luggage etc. To me, those qualities are far more important.

Although, we read the dress code about what was acceptable and what was not before we booked. So we intend to abide by that.

Anyone shallow enough to judge anyone on appearance only is not worth bothering with. Actually, anyone who judges anyone is not worth knowing. I hope you have a wonderful holiday! X

That's the whole point. You read the dress code and abide by it. The rest doesn't matter as long as people are respectful and mannered. People are all different and the vast majority are ok when you get talking to them. You will enjoy your cruise. No doubt about it.

David

As per P&O guidance in relation to this thread - trainers/sneakers, no. Shoes yes.

Thanks.

Do you have a link to anything more substantial than the basic guidelines or is this based on advice from a restaurant manager or similar member of staff?

One thing which doesn't get brought up is that most people who worry about the dress code aren't trying to 'bend any rules/get one over on the man'. Instead they simply wish to wear the clothes which they own and feel comfortable/confident in. It's all well and good saying 'chinos and a short sleeve cotton shirt' but these items aren't likely to found in the wardrobe of younger people.

Conforming to the dress code verbatim should guarantee entry rather than not conforming on technicalities instantly resulting in being denied entry. Whatever happened to common sense? I understand that the desire is for people to be relatively smartly dressed in the evening; but as others have said this doesn't necessarily result.

I think i am capable of dressing myself smartly and don't want to worry about such trivial things as whether my footwear conforms to the regulations on a holiday. Of course i could choose another cruise line and would do so in a heartbeat, but the reality is that i have to think about the person i'll be travelling with and P&O is he only real option for an older British person wanting a minimum hassle Caribbean fly cruise.

ep1987

The link is

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

The vast majority of people are smartly dressed. There are very very few who don't. I don't think there is a real problem apart from on Forums where some like a wind up and others bite. Younger people in slim fitting denims is a different proposition to us older ones in baggy jeans.:) In any case anyone who wants to dress really casual in the evenings generally use the buffet restaurant.

David

On our last cruise we were on freedom dining so had different dinner guests each night except when we chose to dine alone on a couple of nights.

One evening on a formal night we were joined by a lady cruising on her own who I can only describe as a little strange on first meeting and without sounding judgemental her dress sense was very strange.

Not one to judge we started off polite conversation whilst reading the menu, another 2 couples were directed to the table 2 of them sat down and the lady from the 2nd couple took one look and asked the waiter to move them to another table.

Not sure if it was us or the single lady, anyway after a slightly embarrassing silence we started chatting and what a wonderful dinner companion we had, she was a most interesting, knowledgeable, well travelled and down to earth lady.

She said please don't think that the other dinner guests had anything against us it was her, she said she was an unusual person and not everyone's cup of tea.

It just goes to show never judge a book by it's cover, a few days later at breakfast in the MDR we ended up on a table with the 2 rude couples, they recognised and said how sorry they felt for us lumbered with that strange woman, I got up told them they were shallow and asked the waiter if we could move.

I explained to the waiter why I had asked to be moved and he said well done. When we saw the lady next time we told her what we did and she said we had made her day and she trotted off laughing and laughed every time we saw her after that.

I will never forget that night and if ever I even think for a minute to judge someone will think back to that night.

On our last cruise we were on freedom dining so had different dinner guests each night except when we chose to dine alone on a couple of nights.

One evening on a formal night we were joined by a lady cruising on her own who I can only describe as a little strange on first meeting and without sounding judgemental her dress sense was very strange.

Not one to judge we started off polite conversation whilst reading the menu, another 2 couples were directed to the table 2 of them sat down and the lady from the 2nd couple took one look and asked the waiter to move them to another table.

Not sure if it was us or the single lady, anyway after a slightly embarrassing silence we started chatting and what a wonderful dinner companion we had, she was a most interesting, knowledgeable, well travelled and down to earth lady.

She said please don't think that the other dinner guests had anything against us it was her, she said she was an unusual person and not everyone's cup of tea.

It just goes to show never judge a book by it's cover, a few days later at breakfast in the MDR we ended up on a table with the 2 rude couples, they recognised and said how sorry they felt for us lumbered with that strange woman, I got up told them they were shallow and asked the waiter if we could move.

I explained to the waiter why I had asked to be moved and he said well done. When we saw the lady next time we told her what we did and she said we had made her day and she trotted off laughing and laughed every time we saw her after that.

I will never forget that night and if ever I even think for a minute to judge someone will think back to that night.

Good for you!

Must admit my OH was muttering to me why did you have to open your mouth I said just follow me and say nothing just smile, which he did but he was more than happy explaining to the waiter why we asked to be moved and time and time again to other people. I think he was as surprised as the 2 other couples when I told them they were shallow and stood up to go but dutifully he followed me. I felt quite empowered after wards that we did it so gracefully.

Do you have a link to anything more substantial than the basic guidelines or is this based on advice from a restaurant manager or similar member of staff?

One thing which doesn't get brought up is that most people who worry about the dress code aren't trying to 'bend any rules/get one over on the man'. Instead they simply wish to wear the clothes which they own and feel comfortable/confident in. It's all well and good saying 'chinos and a short sleeve cotton shirt' but these items aren't likely to found in the wardrobe of younger people.

Conforming to the dress code verbatim should guarantee entry rather than not conforming on technicalities instantly resulting in being denied entry. Whatever happened to common sense? I understand that the desire is for people to be relatively smartly dressed in the evening; but as others have said this doesn't necessarily result.

I think i am capable of dressing myself smartly and don't want to worry about such trivial things as whether my footwear conforms to the regulations on a holiday. Of course i could choose another cruise line and would do so in a heartbeat, but the reality is that i have to think about the person i'll be travelling with and P&O is he only real option for an older British person wanting a minimum hassle Caribbean fly cruise.

The OP was saying that she didn't quite know what to expect from casual nights. All I was doing was giving examples - oh and you seem to make the assumption that my husband and I are old!!!