Alaska Cruise June 2015

Geminisquirrel

We are toying with the idea of cruising Alaska next June. Our options are 10 days round trip from San Francisco on the Golden Princess or 7 days round trip from Vancouver on the Grand. Princess.

We have been on the Grand 3 times before and loved every minute.

My questions are.

Which would you consider the better option?

What is The Golden princess like?

We are planning spending some time exploring either SF or Vancouver, which do you think is the better?

thank you in advance for any responses .:)

Oh my, what a choice. I'd take either cruise. Grand and Golden started as sisters, Grand has a few things now that the Golden doesn't, including Alfredo's. But Golden still has Skywalker's.

I didn't go in and check the itineraries. Are both going to Glacier Bay? That would be one thing to tilt in favor - the one going to Glacier Bay. If both are toss a coin because:

Vancouver v. San Francisco, hmmmm, another impossible choice. Vancouver has Stanley Park, the incredible sea life park (can't remember the official name) great dining, and of course, the need to go over to Vancouver Island for Victoria and Butchard Gardens. San Francisco has the incredible waterfront area, Coit Tower, great dining, Ghirardelli Square, Alcatraz, wine country nearby......

Which cruise fits your time frame best? I don't think there is a bad choice here. Sorry not to be of more help, but you have two great options. I might go for more days at sea, but then again, there is plenty to explore on land and nearby each of the embarkation ports.

I know, been of no help whatsoever.

I responded to your question assuming you were correct about the itinerary of the Grand in June 2015, but since we are booked on the Grand in May/June 2015 doing northbound from Vancouver then southbound from Whittier back to Vancouver, I just wanted to double check and make sure she was still sailing Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver the balance of June.

If you are looking at the 14 days which constitute the RT Vancouver to Vancouver on the Grand, I say choose that over the Golden going out of San Francisco. More time on the ship, but also, two shots at each port and Glacier Bay. There is so much to see, and being able to plan two days ashore at each port is the way to do it, especially as weather can be highly variable and you may be disappointed one day if the weather causes cancellation of an excursion or a change in plans. Also, you will have two shots at GLacier Bay, which is great in case of lousy weather one of the two days there. Well, now I have made up my mind. Perhaps it will help you decide.:D

Edited by ggprincess2004

Both cruises will be great.

If you haven't experienced Vancouver, I would choose that. What a place!

Also, if you like smooth seas, sailing from Vancouver will be smoother. The stretch from San Francisco going past Oregon can be very rough.

Either cruise will be great!

Bon voyage!

Thanks to everyone who gave some input. I will discuss them all with OH when he gets back.

The 14 hour flight to SF does nothing to settle my nerves. Not the greatest of flyer.

Please do make sure you to clarify with your Travel Agent, about the Grand Princess and her itinerary. To do a rt Vancouver, it will be 14 days, not 7. If you sail one way out of Vancouver on the Grand, you would disembark in Whittier for a transfer to Anchorage for onward travels. Flights out of Anchorage are expensive - we've always viewed coming back on the southbound into Vancouver as a reasonable alternative. Of course, you could disembark and do a land tour from Anchorage - Princess has a number of options for those.

If you do decide to sail out of Vancouver, you could also fly into Seattle (Sea-Tac) and take a Princess transfer from that airport up to the pier in Vancouver.

Please do make sure you to clarify with your Travel Agent, about the Grand Princess and her itinerary. To do a rt Vancouver, it will be 14 days, not 7. If you sail one way out of Vancouver on the Grand, you would disembark in Whittier for a transfer to Anchorage for onward travels. Flights out of Anchorage are expensive - we've always viewed coming back on the southbound into Vancouver as a reasonable alternative. Of course, you could disembark and do a land tour from Anchorage - Princess has a number of options for those.

If you do decide to sail out of Vancouver, you could also fly into Seattle (Sea-Tac) and take a Princess transfer from that airport up to the pier in Vancouver.

Thank you. I have looked again, taking your advice and see that the TA did make a mistake. Thank you.

It looks as if we will be doing the SF round trip which is 10 days. We intend to spend a few extra days in SF either side of the cruise.