Turtle Farm + Stingrays in One Trip

pentiumvi

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling with my GF to the Cayman Islands later this year on the Ruby Princess, and we were quite interested in both the turtle farm and stingray excursion.

I was wondering whether anyone on this forum has done a similar visit all in one trip.

I noticed that nativewaterwaysports has a $60 - 4 hour tour that includes both these destinations, but I'm worried whether this is too little time. I would prefer not to be rushed from one destination to another... Also, our port time is 7:00 - 16:00, but the tour does not depart until 10:00am. I'm also worried that this would not be the best use of our time while in the Cayman Islands.

If we took basically the same tour with the cruise line, would their departure time be any different?

Thanks in advance for any insight provided!

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling with my GF to the Cayman Islands later this year on the Ruby Princess, and we were quite interested in both the turtle farm and stingray excursion.

I was wondering whether anyone on this forum has done a similar visit all in one trip.

I noticed that nativewaterwaysports has a $60 - 4 hour tour that includes both these destinations, but I'm worried whether this is too little time. I would prefer not to be rushed from one destination to another... Also, our port time is 7:00 - 16:00, but the tour does not depart until 10:00am. I'm also worried that this would not be the best use of our time while in the Cayman Islands.

If we took basically the same tour with the cruise line, would their departure time be any different?

Thanks in advance for any insight provided!

I would say go with Nativeway! They were the nicest people on any tour we were ever on, I mean like SUPER NICE! We were also not rushed for time but we were very lucky as there were only about 15 of us on the stingray part and then just 2 of us for the rest of it so there was no rush at all. They are right there where everyone else is when you get off the tender and you will find them easy or just ask. We just used them the end of January and here is a quick little 2 minute video of all we got to do :D

Wow, thanks for the video.

Just to confirm though, so you guys did the 4 hour stingray and island tour?

Um, I'm pretty sure it was about exactly that long. They were so good with the time and had cell phones should anything happen, but we had plenty of time to look around both before and after (I forget how long we were in port for exactly, but it was pretty typical I'm sure). I don't think I put any of this in the video but they also took us to the rum cake factory for a little bit. We got some free samples (of some rum too!) and bought a couple cakes and pretty good hot sauces.

I actually checked back here though because I was thinking of something else. The one thing I noticed most at the turtle farm was that the cruise ship tours were much larger than ours. That's the good thing going with nativeway. About the only bad thing though, and I think this might be for all tours though, is you do not have access to the entire park. I think there are some spots you miss unless you go on your own and pay the full price of admission??? Someone else might be able to answer that though, but either way we still got a nice tour of it and really enjoyed it!

Oh and Sharon took us around on a quick island tour pointing out places of interest, even stopped at 7 mile beach briefly but it was basically just to see it (and I would love to go back and stay there after seeing it!)

I did not keep track of time very well but I would say it was about .5 hours of the island tour, 1.5 hours on the stingray part, .75 at the turtle farm, around .5 hours at hell (we shopped a little in the small store), about .25 at the rum cake factory, and then just the normal driving for the rest of the time and we might have stopped somewhere else too. Again though, we did not feel rushed at all and loved every minute of it :)

Sorry for the last long response, but I just double checked their website and yes, the 4 hour stingray and island tour for $60 is exactly the one we did. So we did not get any additional snorkeling, but that was fine with us. Again, if you get off the ship pretty quick you should have 30 minutes to an hour to look around at the local shops right outside the gates. If not you will definitely have the time when you return from the tour without being rushed.

Oh gosh, one very, very last thing, lol. This was our very first cruise and this was our first stop. I was nervous about not booking with the ship a little bit, but as soon as we met Sharon all was put to ease :)

So if we could do it with no problems and not knowing what the heck was going on or what we were doing, I'm sure anyone can! Also, inside the gated area you can start asking around for nativeway at anytime and Sharon or someone will most likely be in there before 10 a.m. to get you going. I think we actually left around 9:30 after we found her.

No worries, I'm pretty sure we had about the exact same port time as you :cool:

Thanks for the detailed replies! They've been very helpful.

Now just need to decide whether I want to see the turtles or if I want to go snorkeling instead... Such shame that we have so little time :(

Thanks for the detailed replies! They've been very helpful.

Now just need to decide whether I want to see the turtles or if I want to go snorkeling instead... Such shame that we have so little time :(

Hahahaha, I know what you mean as that is what we struggled with in making up our mind. We went with the island tour only because we have never been to grand cayman before and wanted to see more of the island and knew we would be snorkeling at other stops. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a blast! Enjoy!