Time Lapse Video: Carnival Legend in Mahogany Bay

I tried out a new app for my Android phone on our recent cruise and I was very pleased with the results. It's a time-lapse video app. You just set your phone up somewhere stable, point it at something that moves very slowly (like a cruise ship), and the camera takes a picture every one second and then stitches them all together at the end in to a time-lapse video.

We were on the Carnival Glory... docked at the Mahogany Bay cruise terminal on Roatan Island, and the Carnival Legend was docked in front of us. They sailed away first, and I had my phone set up on the "secret deck" on deck 7 of the Glory. The results were pretty cool!

I especially liked that at the end of the video, you can see the pilot boat return to the dock and the pilot get off the boat and walk towards our ship to help us out of port next.

Here's the video. Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]LER5WNiycGo[/YOUTUBE]

I shot a LOT of video during our cruise on the Carnival Glory. Some is ready to be uploaded right away, some needs to be edited over the next few weekends. Once I get the videos edited together, I'll put together a proper cruise review integrating all the best photos and videos.

For now, this will give you a little taste of what's to come!

What date was this? We were on the Legend on the 4-28 cruise out of Tampa. Did I see myself and DW on our balcony in your video?

Yes, that was it. We did a back-to-back, so we we started the same day you did but didn't get back home until last night... that's why the video didn't get posted until now. But yes, it was the week you were cruising... so look carefully and you might see yourself.

For those of you who might want to try creating a time lapse video with your smartphone...

There are two inexpensive products that will make it easy to set up the camera in a stable position.

The first is this smartphone holder. It is a device that basically holds your smartphone for you. It uses a very nicely designed spring-loaded clamp that clamps down on your smart phone and holds it securely without doing any damage to your phone. Because it is spring-loaded, it can work with phones of many sizes... from a tiny little iPhone to one of the newer large-screen Android phones. This smartphone holder grabs your camera, and then you attach this smartphone holder to any standard tripod. So, basically, it is a plastic adaptor that allows you to mount most any smartphone on top of a tripod.

If you do not want to carry a tripod around with you, a second additional product is what you need. It's a little C-clamp with a tripod-type screw on the end. In addition to the C-clamp, it also has a unique design with some tiny little legs that can pop out to make a mini tripod that can sit on any flat surface. But I find the C-clamp feature to be the most useful and secure.

So, if you don't want to use a real (large) tripod... you buy both the smartphone holder AND the C-clamp thingie and connect them together to form one unit that can clamp on to anything (for example, many parts of a cruise ship such as a railing or beam) and hold your camera securely.

If you just want to try creating some time lapse videos in your back yard and you already own a real tripod, just get the smartphone holder without the c-clamp and attach the smartphone holder to your existing tripod.

But on a cruise, the combination of the two products will save you from having to lug around a big tripod.

Thanks for sharing ! Hysterical result.

We wanted to install......this would be a riot with our new puppy.....BUT, our online/android security advised that by allowing them in.....they would have complete access to the following:

All phone information.

Facebook info.

GPS info.

Etc.

In other words, NO security ! Shame, cause this looks like lots of fun. Maybe someday, it will be secure enough for us to do it, too.