Alaska: seek advice:wheelchair type, excursions.

ydan04

My parents will be taking their first trip since my mother’s stroke six years ago. They’ll be flying from the eastcoast to Seattle, spending a few days at my house, and then we’ll all cruise on the Golden Princess Glacier Bay trip.

Around the house she uses a quad-cane with an aide to hold her in case she loses balance. When she goes out she also uses a wheelchair - I think it’s called transport type (with four smaller wheels), which they keep in the trunk of car. I’m wondering if the transport chair will be sufficient or whether I should look into finding a collapsible chair with bigger wheels to get around the ship and for stops in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. (She will not use the chair by herself as one arm is also impaired, but will be traveling with her longtime aide.)

In Skagway, I think they’d like the rail trip (one way or RT?). In Juneau, it seems like Mendenhall Glacier is the site to see, but I’m concerned about the ease of getting around with the transport chair and also whether the distances might be to tiring for my father to walk. (Also, what is the easiest way to get there so they are not tired out at start.) Other Juneau ideas? In Ketchikan, the time is so short, that maybe a visit to town will suffice? My parents have cruised before my mother's stroke (warm places). It will be first time for my teen and me. (My teen will likely do more strenuous excursions.)

Advice and suggestions welcome!

IMO opinion you will find that a standard collapsible wheelchair will be easier to push both on the ship as well as off shore rather than a transport chair

Most excursions require a "teen" to be accompanied by an adult. So if it's only you , your teen and parents than keep that in mind when planning excursions.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I think you will find the transport chair difficult to use. For flat (by that I mean linoleum) floors they work fine. I find them very uncomfortable if there is any texture to the floor such as cobbles, gravel or even tile. My husband says the transport chair was very hard to push over carpet. I now use a scooter but would use a standard chair before a transport.

In Juneau, we had a great time using Orca Enterprises for a whale watching tour. They picked us up from the ship with a lift equipped mini-bus. The boat is designed to accommodate wheelchairs. They will also take you to the glacier at the end of the whale watching if you so desire. We did not do this.

In Skagway we used DYEA Dave, with excellent results. Contact him, tell him your needs and he will arrange something suitable. He took us by van to the Yukon with several stops along the way for photos etc, then to the train station (he helped us get tickets before we left town) and then met us at the end and delivered us back to the ship. We travel with a fold-up manual chair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My parents will be taking their first trip since my mother’s stroke six years ago. They’ll be flying from the eastcoast to Seattle, spending a few days at my house, and then we’ll all cruise on the Golden Princess Glacier Bay trip.

Around the house she uses a quad-cane with an aide to hold her in case she loses balance. When she goes out she also uses a wheelchair - I think it’s called transport type (with four smaller wheels), which they keep in the trunk of car. I’m wondering if the transport chair will be sufficient or whether I should look into finding a collapsible chair with bigger wheels to get around the ship and for stops in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. (She will not use the chair by herself as one arm is also impaired, but will be traveling with her longtime aide.)

In Skagway, I think they’d like the rail trip (one way or RT?). In Juneau, it seems like Mendenhall Glacier is the site to see, but I’m concerned about the ease of getting around with the transport chair and also whether the distances might be to tiring for my father to walk. (Also, what is the easiest way to get there so they are not tired out at start.) Other Juneau ideas? In Ketchikan, the time is so short, that maybe a visit to town will suffice? My parents have cruised before my mother's stroke (warm places). It will be first time for my teen and me. (My teen will likely do more strenuous excursions.)

So your mom does not feel reliant on anyone to push her...perhaps rent a scooter for the week...but you will need a HC room so not sure if this is possible. In Juneau you could rent a taxi to take a group of your out to the glacier ...we took the city bus and google and find out if they accommodate wheelchairs, The bus is soooo much cheaper and you get there easy and meet locals along the way :o. If she can get herself onto the train, she will not need to move from her seat , and a very worthwhile trip...again no need to book as excursion off boat...just go to the train depot in town !!. In Skagway and Ketchikan, you can just enjoy walking around the towns... boardwalks might be a bit bumpy but manageable...be sure to check out the Alaska boards on here for more ideas. Have a wonderful vacation.

Yes, I would recommend Mendenhall Glacier. We were able to get a shuttle bus with a wheelchair lift by using one of the companies on the pier (best to arrange ahead of time to be sure they have it available). There is an elevator at the visitors center. There is not a lot of walking here unless you go out to Nugget Falls, which is doable with a standard or power wheelchair, but it is about a mile.

You can also go up the Mt. Roberts cable car in Juneau. Purchase your own tickets (no need to book through the cruise line), although the trails are not accessible. The visitors center is fine, and you can see great views both in the cable car and from the viewing areas at the top.

If they are museum types, the Alaska State historical museum in Juneau is very nice and worth a visit. Take a cab.

For the Whitehorse train in Skagway, go ahead and purchase tickets through the cruise line. This will allow you to board the train right on the pier. Just be sure you get tickets for the one wheelchair accessible car. It has a lift, and a wheelchair accessible toilet. You need to go round trip to the summit (can't remember the name of the lake there) and back to town (the pier). Some of the shuttles from the pier into town are accessible. There are staff on the pier who will help you get one of these if you also want to go into town.

And I would definitely recommend a light weight standard wheelchair vs. the transport chair. A scooter may be difficult to use for someone who has had a stroke (steering one handed can be difficult, and if she has any visual field cuts it can be a safety issue as well). It is great that her aide is able to travel with her.

In Ketchikan the pier is right downtown, so it is easy to walk around to shops. It is not far to the Lumberjack show (about 5 blocks); you might want to do that together. Buy tickets on the pier rather than through the cruise line (much cheaper).

I am assuming you have booked a wheelchair accessible cabin?? A regular cabin will have a 6" step into the bathroom, which I assume would be very difficult for your mother given your description of her mobility limitations.

Thanks for the suggestions! They’re helping make some plans.

We're going to rent a non-transport chair while my mother's at my house, before cruise. If she and her aide like it, we’ll take that instead of her transport chair.

She has accessible cabin booked on ship, so an electric device is possible, but we’re worried about something new, especially without sizing and trying it beforehand. She uses an electric wheelchair to move between desks and answer the phone at home, but only in one room. Maybe electric is a future vacation idea for her or my father, as he’s not able to go on long walks the way he used to.

For port activities, we’ve settled Skagway: I’ve reserved the train through the ship. I am now trying to ensure that the accessible car is reserved. When I called Princess, they said they can’t help me since it’s an excursion. Any ideas how I’m supposed to do this? I also emailed the access office and am waiting to hear from them.

For Juneau I’m still investigating how to get to Mendenhall Glacier. My father votes “city bus” but I’ve read that there’s a walk from bus stop to visitor center. Also, will public bus have wheelchair lift because we'll need to have chair with us. Will the shuttle drop us where the interesting walking paths begin? That would be much better. If not, should I investigate a taxi that can drop us in the accessible parking lot? I’d like to keep the walking interesting. If the nature walks don’t tire everyone out, we can always walk around town at the end.

They’d also like to do the Mt Roberts tram if the weather is nice; from what I gather, we can decide that at last minute.

Thanks again for help so far!

It has been 4 or so years since we went to Alaska with Princess. At that time they had two different train excursion, one regular and one labeled accessible. The accessible one was at the end of the excursions. I chose that one and had the correct train car on my tickets.

It has been 4 or so years since we went to Alaska with Princess. At that time they had two different train excursion, one regular and one labeled accessible. The accessible one was at the end of the excursions. I chose that one and had the correct train car on my tickets.

I'll log in again to re-check. I think that I first limited the excursions to accessible-only, then there were only three possibilities for the port.

When are you cruising ? We have a party of 10 going on June 28th Golden . There are two scooter riders, myself included. DH & I have done these ports before and have "handicap" excursions planned in all the ports. Happy to share plans or have you follow along with us. We are hitting what I consider the major sites !

Yes, I would recommend Mendenhall Glacier. We were able to get a shuttle bus with a wheelchair lift by using one of the companies on the pier (best to arrange ahead of time to be sure they have it available). There is an elevator at the visitors center. There is not a lot of walking here unless you go out to Nugget Falls, which is doable with a standard or power wheelchair, but it is about a mile.

What company did you use? I've been in contact with Mighty Great Trips as I heard they offered a shuttle with a lift, but unfortunately I just heard back that they do not have this capability. Is there another company I should be looking at?

What company did you use? I've been in contact with Mighty Great Trips as I heard they offered a shuttle with a lift, but unfortunately I just heard back that they do not have this capability. Is there another company I should be looking at?

I'm still researching. I also talked to MGT today and got same info. The options with lift/ramp that I see so far seem to be

1. Private cab. - Juneau Yellow Cab says they have two mini vans equipped with ramps. Each holds wheelchair plus three other passengers and costs about $35/each way. (Four exactly four people, it's about same as shuttle - $80.) There may be other taxis or tour companies. There is also an organization called Care-a-Van in Juneau (with website); I think they are more of a service organization for locals, but if they have availability they might help.

2. Three hour tour booked through ship. $39/person.

Please let us know if you find other options, good companies.

When are you cruising ? We have a party of 10 going on June 28th Golden . There are two scooter riders, myself included. DH & I have done these ports before and have "handicap" excursions planned in all the ports. Happy to share plans or have you follow along with us. We are hitting what I consider the major sites !

Too bad we can't follow along! We're on the June 21 Golden. Do our plans so far sound reasonable? Where have you gone in Juneau? Where are you planning this time? I'd love to hear about your experiences, the best and also any warnings or things I should plan for.

I'm still researching. I also talked to MGT today and got same info. The options with lift/ramp that I see so far seem to be

1. Private cab. - Juneau Yellow Cab says they have two mini vans equipped with ramps. Each holds wheelchair plus three other passengers and costs about $35/each way. (Four exactly four people, it's about same as shuttle - $80.) There may be other taxis or tour companies. There is also an organization called Care-a-Van in Juneau (with website); I think they are more of a service organization for locals, but if they have availability they might help.

2. Three hour tour booked through ship. $39/person.

Please let us know if you find other options, good companies.

Thank you for that info. I'll likely be looking further into the taxi. As for the ships tour, is that for Royal Caribbean? I haven't found anything online other than a trip on the tramway that's accessible. They do mention a cruise tour package that offers a 3 hour trip to mendenhall & salmon hatchery tour along with the others, but they don't seem to offer it individually. At least online.

Thank you for that info. I'll likely be looking further into the taxi. As for the ships tour, is that for Royal Caribbean? I haven't found anything online other than a trip on the tramway that's accessible. They do mention a cruise tour package that offers a 3 hour trip to mendenhall & salmon hatchery tour along with the others, but they don't seem to offer it individually. At least online.

The 3-hour ship tour was on Princess site. It's 2 hours at Mendenhall Glacier and remainder narrated tour to there and then back. You might try calling Royal Caribbean.