Embarkation and Wine!

mattera

Hello all!

We are traveling in a few days for our cruise! Woo! I am the only person in our group of 8 that has been on a cruise before... and frankly I do not remember a lot of details.. it was a long time ago! I am traveling with my siblings and best friends.. it should be a blast! Here is my question (IT REGARDS ALCOHOL AND BRINGING IT ON SO IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT I DO NOT NEED YOUR LECTURES LOL)....my brother and his girlfriend are 20 years old and the rest of us are over 21....will they check their IDs when they put their bags through the scanner? They wanted to bring on some wine (which is allowed to guests over 21), but I am unsure if they put it in their carry on if they will just get it taken away. Or are their ID's checked before and then not checked again when they go through security? Again, I do not need lectures, just advice! :)

Thanks!

Hello all!

We are traveling in a few days for our cruise! Woo! I am the only person in our group of 8 that has been on a cruise before... and frankly I do not remember a lot of details.. it was a long time ago! I am traveling with my siblings and best friends.. it should be a blast! Here is my question (IT REGARDS ALCOHOL AND BRINGING IT ON SO IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT I DO NOT NEED YOUR LECTURES LOL)....my brother and his girlfriend are 20 years old and the rest of us are over 21....will they check their IDs when they put their bags through the scanner? They wanted to bring on some wine (which is allowed to guests over 21), but I am unsure if they put it in their carry on if they will just get it taken away. Or are their ID's checked before and then not checked again when they go through security? Again, I do not need lectures, just advice! :)

Thanks!

My experience has always been while you are at the scanners, that is all they are doing is scanning.

Checking of the paperwork is done as you enter the terminal and at check-in.

I guess the worst that could happen is that could take it, but I don't think that will happen.....

I agree - should not have any problem. I bring my wine in a carry type bag or even just in a couple plastic bags (doubled). I don't put it through the scanner - just walk in and the security guy/girl just looks at it. Worse that can happen, they ask for id and take away - but I doubt it. Don't forget it's 2 bottles per cabin (750 ml each). Good luck.

Just off the pride, when u hand security your boarding pass, u also hand them your ID. We were 4 over with 2 under 21 year olds and they asked whos wine it was, because we had 4 in one bag. Maybe if it was not all together they wouldn't have asked...but we also didn't bring 6 wines, just 4.

Last summer our we cruised out of Miami with our 20 year old son. We brought two bottles of wine, one I had in checked luggage and he had the other in his. They did stop and ask him for ID, my wife said it was for her and they were fine with that.

• 1 year later...

I always carry wine with me when I travel. I use one of these http://www.vingardevalise.com While they have been scanned, I have never been asked about the contents. Maybe it just depends on who is scanning or policies are ever changing. My wine suitcase looks like any other suitcase on the outside so at least it is discrete. I don't see how cruise lines can dictate that a passenger doesn't have the right to bring or purchase wine and bring it on board. Nowadays many ports are built around visiting wine regions.

I agree - should not have any problem. I bring my wine in a carry type bag or even just in a couple plastic bags (doubled). I don't put it through the scanner - just walk in and the security guy/girl just looks at it. Worse that can happen, they ask for id and take away - but I doubt it. Don't forget it's 2 bottles per cabin (750 ml each). Good luck.

It's not two bottles per cabin. It's one bottle per person over the age of 21. Parent and minor in the cabin, one bottle. 4 adults over 21 in a cabin, 4 bottles.

If an Oceania customer service rep I spoke to this afternoon is correct, Oceania has an unpublished policy that limits the amount of wine you can bring on board to 3 bottles no matter the length of the cruise. Below is the policy statement he sent me and below that is the policy statement as it appears on Oceania's website: Unfortunately I can't change fonts or colors to highlight the policies.

Unpublished Alcohol Policy

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibits the sale or service of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel. Beer and liquor cannot be brought on-board by guests.

The maximum of 3 bottles of independent wine (per stateroom, per cruise) can be brought on-board for the duration of the cruise. This includes guests flying with their own wine, or purchasing it on shore. We ask that guests let us know they are bringing wine on-board so the ship can be advised. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle. There is no corkage fee for wine purchased onboard or as part of our Bon Voyage Gift Program.

Alcohol policy on the Oceania website found in the FAQs:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption on board the vessel.

Given that we visit wineries on the itinerary, this policy makes no sense. Even if we didn't visit wineries I am not accustomed to be told how much of my own wine I can carry. I suppose it is a matter of money to Oceania but I think that is short-sighted.

This isn't the Oceania thread....this is carnival. They allow one bottle per person 21 and over. I don't think they ID though as much as they make sure the wine is sealed and not full of hard liquor

My apologies. My point was poorly made but is one that I have experienced on other lines.

You can't trust the published policy as evidenced by my recent experience with Oceania. You may think you know the policy but if there is an unpublished one it can be costly.

I always carry wine with me when I travel. I use one of these www.vingardevalise.com While they have been scanned, I have never been asked about the contents. Maybe it just depends on who is scanning or policies are ever changing. My wine suitcase looks like any other suitcase on the outside so at least it is discrete. I don't see how cruise lines can dictate that a passenger doesn't have the right to bring or purchase wine and bring it on board. Nowadays many ports are built around visiting wine regions.

In Ensenada, Carnival offers a wine tour. One of the wineries gives each passenger a free bottle of red wine. Upon returning to the ship with the wine, we were told to take it over to the liquor table and turn it in. We just kept walking up the stairs with it and to our cabin. Even though it was a Carnival excursion, they don't want you partaking of it as they still want a piece of your pocketbook. We took the wine home, we're not much of red wine drinkers.:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
How strict is Carnival on enforcing the 1 750ml bottler per person limit?

What if I put 2 in our checked bags (2 of us), and bring 2 through security in our carry-on?

checked luggage is scanned/xrayed as well and you may be called down to the naughty room or have the bottles in your checked bags removed since the policy is all permissible 'drinks' be brought onboard in your carryon.

For what it's worth, on our Magic cruise last month, my 19-year old daughter had the exact same ship card we did. In the past, other lines gave minors a different card (maybe a corner missing, or a different color) that made it easy to tell (at the bar) that said person was a minor. I assume my daughter could have bought drinks at a bar with her card.

Out of a party of 6, we brought 5 bottles. I don't recall the scanners asking for any ID so we probably could have brought 6. Two of those bottles we had chilled and opened at dinner, but our waiter didn't bother charging us a corkage fee (we tipped him that amount extra anyhow).

I'm not sure what each line's exact policy is, but once you're out of the 12-mile limit, the drinking age may drop to 18 on board. They certainly never check IDs in any country I've been to regarding alcohol. I think the US is the only first-world country with the drinking age at 21.

For what it's worth, on our Magic cruise last month, my 19-year old daughter had the exact same ship card we did. In the past, other lines gave minors a different card (maybe a corner missing, or a different color) that made it easy to tell (at the bar) that said person was a minor. I assume my daughter could have bought drinks at a bar with her card.

Out of a party of 6, we brought 5 bottles. I don't recall the scanners asking for any ID so we probably could have brought 6. Two of those bottles we had chilled and opened at dinner, but our waiter didn't bother charging us a corkage fee (we tipped him that amount extra anyhow).

I'm not sure what each line's exact policy is, but once you're out of the 12-mile limit, the drinking age may drop to 18 on board. They certainly never check IDs in any country I've been to regarding alcohol. I think the US is the only first-world country with the drinking age at 21.

They will not sell to a minor on board. The age on board is 21. My daughter was 20 on one cruise and when they swipe the sign and sail card, it shows the age of the person. If under 21, they won't serve. All ports you go to it is 18 (I think)

One bottle wine or champagne per adult age 21. So if there are 5 adults in the cabin, 5 bottles, not 2.