Review: Snorkeling and stingrays with Capt Marvins

Susky

Our day in Grand Cayman was a planned trip with Captain Marvins, doing their snorkeling and stingray city tour. We started off on the wrong foot because we were a little lax with getting down to the ship's tendering area, and we had issues with the sloooow tendering system.

We were supposed to check in with Capt Marvins at 10:45 (for an 11:15 tour), and I just barely made it to the office by 11:10. Thankfully, the folks there were (impatiently) waiting for us, and we managed to get all 11 of us on the tour without getting left behind.

After experiencing a fantastic cave tubing trip (Coral Breeze) in Belize, I half-expected our Grand Cayman tour guide to be more talkative and friendly. Don't get me wrong - the guys were great at explaining the trip plan to us...but I just thought they could have been a little more forward during the ride out.

First we stopped in a snorkeling area that was very cool. I've never snorkeled before, and it was great to see all the coral and fish. After maybe 15-20 minutes of snorkeling, we all boarded and headed off to the stingray sandbar.

We had some trouble finding a "parking space" at the sandbar, because the area was very crowded. We ended up crossing onto another boat's anchor line, and our guy took a few minutes to straighten things out.

Once we got into the water, we had a blast. Our guide brought us some stingrays to touch, hold, kiss (who the hell wants to kiss one of those things...and why?), and feed the rays. Very cool stuff. When it was my turn to hold a ray, the guy took my camera from me so that he could take a picture of me with the ray. Nice.

Overall, I'd give the tour an A minus.

BTW...after we got back, we had our bus driver drop us off at Sea Grape Beach (a very short ride!), so we could relax there for a while and hook up with some friends. Sea Grape was very nice, and the drinks, although a little pricey, were very good.

After the beach, we did a little shopping. Not much, though, as we started running out of time.

Thanks, Captain Marvin's, for a great time.

A quick question or two, please....

We are first time snorkelers....Will we be out of place on a Captain Marvin's tour?

Did you snorkle from the boat? Is it difficult to get in and out?

How long in advance would you recomment making reservations for tours?

Thanks so much for your help!

Folks, don't get all hung up on the 15-20 minutes thing. I didn't actually time it, and it could have been longer. It only seemed like 15-20 minutes. Don't make your decisions based on my poor sense of time! :)

We are first time snorkelers....Will we be out of place on a Captain Marvin's tour?

Not at all. This was my first real time snorkeling, but I bought my equipment at home and practiced in the pool. I got the better snorkel, and I'm glad I did, because the ones that are used on the tour are pretty basic (the kids didn't mind using them, though).

Did you snorkle from the boat? Is it difficult to get in and out?

Yep...you use the boat, and it's not difficult. You just jump in, and they lower a ladder for getting back into the boat. The guy is there if you need a hand, as well.

How long in advance would you recomment making reservations for tours?

Gosh, I don't know. I think I booked a few months in advance, and didn't have any problems. Check with the tour company you want...they should give you some better idea.

Archived