Breakaway with Disability/Mobility Issues

garnet115

My parents are thinking about booking Breakaway to Bermuda in August for a family vacation. My father has serious mobility issues and generally uses a wheelchair or walker.

Any CCers with this type of limitation been on the ship and able to give advice? I have sailed Breakaway before and told my parents that I didn't think it was a good choice for them due to layout and crowds, but they seem set on booking. Any thoughts or useful info that I can pass along?

Go to the special interest board and click on cruising with disabilities. Ask your questions there. People will be glad to help and explain what to do. Be sure to book an accessible room and rent a scooter.

I was on the Breakaway in January and I used a wheelchair. I had no problems at all. Staff was very helpful and I found dinning and shows very accommodating. I am sure they will enjoy the cruise especially with being docked in Bermuda there is no rush to get off the ship.

I was on the Breakaway in January and I used a wheelchair. I had no problems at all. Staff was very helpful and I found dinning and shows very accommodating. I am sure they will enjoy the cruise especially with being docked in Bermuda there is no rush to get off the ship.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to see this response. Thank you! My parents have been to Bermuda and are not so concerned with getting off the ship - for them this is more about spending time with the kids and grandkids. But I would hate for them to be on the ship and feel like they can't get around or participate in the activities/entertainment due to mobility limitations. We were on a HAL cruise a few years ago and were shocked at how unhelpful the shipboard staff were. I am so glad to hear that was not your experience on Breakaway. I sailed her in February and found the staff to be lovely, but had some concerns about the ship size/layout for my parents.

Go to the special interest board and click on cruising with disabilities. Ask your questions there. People will be glad to help and explain what to do. Be sure to book an accessible room and rent a scooter.

Thanks. I will post there. My parents will only sail if they can book an accessible room; they simply cannot do it any other way. My dad will definitely have a wheelchair. I don't know if he's ever used a scooter. Is there any reason why you suggest a scooter vs. a wheelchair? Would he have difficulty operating one if he is not used to it?

My parents are thinking about booking Breakaway to Bermuda in August for a family vacation. My father has serious mobility issues and generally uses a wheelchair or walker.

Any CCers with this type of limitation been on the ship and able to give advice? I have sailed Breakaway before and told my parents that I didn't think it was a good choice for them due to layout and crowds, but they seem set on booking. Any thoughts or useful info that I can pass along?

Our sailing in '12 was with 30 members of our extended family. This group included 2 that had scooters and one that used a wheelchair on occasion.

The staff were ALWAYS so super helpful and ready to assist at moments notice. Both persons with scooters had accessible rooms and found little to no problems here. Whenever going to a restaurant or MDR a member of the waitstaff would follow the scooter to ensure they had no difficulty getting to their table, then the waitstaff would hop on the scooter and park it somewhere out of the way - Great service here!

Going to a venue or any other event was great as they already had their seat! The only MAJOR issue was getting on and off the elevators. We could not believe the rudeness of so many people that didn't want to allow a scooter or wheelchair the right of way...Unbelievable! Other than this one downside, they were all very happy to be on the cruise and had a wonderful time.

I hope your parents have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks. I will post there. My parents will only sail if they can book an accessible room; they simply cannot do it any other way. My dad will definitely have a wheelchair. I don't know if he's ever used a scooter. Is there any reason why you suggest a scooter vs. a wheelchair? Would he have difficulty operating one if he is not used to it?

Using a scooter will save your dad the hassle of having to wheel himself around, or being dependent of someone else to always be there to push him.

Both persons in our party that rented scooters had little experience and had no issue in learning to navigate the equipment on the ship - Even the grand-kids (4 year old twins) had no issues learning to use it and would ride around inside the accessible rooms with them every chance they got. :D

The cost of renting the scooters was WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY for the enjoyment of the users cruise experience!

Edited by CTCruiser001

CTCruiser001 - Thank you SO much for all of your insight and advice. You have really put my mind at ease. I will definitely encourage my dad to get the scooter rather than wheelchair. Not sure if he'll go for it, but as long as he can generally get around, we'll be happy. Fingers crossed that there is still an accessible cabin available the week we want to go. :)

CTCruiser001 - Thank you SO much for all of your insight and advice. You have really put my mind at ease. I will definitely encourage my dad to get the scooter rather than wheelchair. Not sure if he'll go for it, but as long as he can generally get around, we'll be happy. Fingers crossed that there is still an accessible cabin available the week we want to go. :)

Don't wait! The accessible cabins go very quickly. Good luck!

Thanks again for all of your advice. Cruise booked with my parents in an accessible cabin. :D So looking forward to this trip.

Do you have info on how to get the scooter? I don't believe the ship provides them. I have often seen mention that the ship refers you to a company called Special Needs At Sea. You can google their website. I think they meet you at the pier with the equipment, either wheelchair or scooter.

Do you have info on how to get the scooter? I don't believe the ship provides them. I have often seen mention that the ship refers you to a company called Special Needs At Sea. You can google their website. I think they meet you at the pier with the equipment, either wheelchair or scooter.

Thanks. My parents have used Special Needs At Sea to rent wheelchairs on other NCL ships. I think that their TA is making arrangements for them.

I used Special Needs at Sea. Called them up with all the info. In my case the wheelchair was in my cabin when we arrived. If you need a member of the crew will bring you on the ship in a wheelchair. Enjoy your cruise.